Themed Mixtape Game

I won't disqualify anyone for not rating as long as they're capable of hosting if they win. In any case, doesn't look like you're in any danger of winning right now. :(

Malice - Against the Empire
not thematic enough for my liking, but a solid little tune. guitarwork is the only really good thing about it, actually very rage-esque at times. 7/10

Bloodbath - Like Fire
i don't like the sunlight sound at the best of times, let alone bloodbath's hideously overproduced approximation of it. give me opeth any day over this shit. it does work for me thematically at least. 4/10

D.B.C. - Rise of Man

it isn’t exactly news that hamburgerboy has some dead brain cells. 8/10

Drewcifer - Game of Thrones Theme
good pick for the theme, and i actually enjoyed this aside from the shit blast+synth parts early on, possibly because of low expectations and zero familiarity with the source theme. fairly understated and evocative for what it is, kinda sound like an ...and oceans song or something. 6/10

Visigoth - The Revenant King
eh, i don't remember liking this band so much but this is really powerful stuff, godawful video aside. must revisit. 9/10

Rage - Death in the Afternoon

i love this idiot fucking band. your coffin has no pockets! 8/10

Dawnbringer - II (Silence in Waves)
i feel so neutral about this. just kinda limp & lifeless innit. the lame way it ends kinda sums it all up. 5/10

Sacriphyx - Wells of Beersheba
this is good arghoslenty stuff with interesting lyrics. it's growing on me and i might be underrating it. 7/10

Coroner - Semtex Revolution
i don’t care for most of this album and this is barely thematic - i do love that riff around 47 secs though. 5/10

High Spirits - Going Up
there’s a consistent thematic throughline on this album and i’m not entirely sure ‘ambition’ really covers it, but i’ll allow it. ironically the band themselves aren’t ambitious at all, but they’re a really pure, smooth, earnest example of this style, one of the best around today. 8/10

The Gates of Slumber - To Kill and Be King
i’m not as in thrall to this band as a lot of people, but they definitely improved from this album onwards. the final ‘verse’ or whatever is cool but i can't say i really feel this one. 6/10

Crimson Glory - War of the Worlds
again i find the basic conquest stuff a little lazy for the theme, but i guess it’s not off theme as such. i really like this though, crimson glory are among the best at this overcharged kinda stuff. 7/10

At the Gates - The Break of Autumn
one of my usernames was inspired by this song, it’s not quite my favourite on the album but it means a lot to me. i do think it’s thematic in its own abstract existential sorta way – possibly the most interesting take on the theme in fact - but either way it’s beautiful, inspiring, mindbogglingly original music. there’s no metal album i know more closely by heart – i’ve grown to love near every fill, every vocal inflection, just about every weird fucking thing the guitars do on this song. so many moments make my heart leap. obviously it doesn’t have traditional appeal with the thin buzzy sound and introspective, poetic bent, but that’s a big part of what makes it stand out. fitting to end the list with the most ambitious of all extreme metal bands – it’s hard to express how much better and more interesting i find this compared to 99% of other DM, but i’ll have to settle for just another measly 10. 10/10

Malice - Against the Empire
Not what I yearn for. Competent. 5/10.

Bloodbath - Like Fire
Maybe a little too simple and straightforward. They ain't trying. 5/10.

D.B.C. -
Rise of Man
I like the vocal delivery. Music's solid. 6/10.

Drewcifer - Game of Thrones Theme
Haters, all of you! 7/10.

Visigoth - The Revenant King
I'm struggling to enjoy this. 4/10.

Rage -
Death in the Afternoon
Oddly, I like this one. It has charisma. 7/10.

Dawnbringer - II (Silence in Waves)
This was fine. 5/10.

Sacriphyx - Wells of Beersheba
Finally! Some competent extreme shit shows up on this playlist. 8/10.

Coroner - Semtex Revolution
And we're back to the marginal extreme shit. 5/10.

High Spirits - Going Up
Good leads. It kinda grew on me. I hated it at first but the catchiness prevailed. 5/10.

The Gates of Slumber - To Kill and Be King
Doooom. There are bell chimes. Cool. 6/10.

Crimson Glory - War of the Worlds
Golly. 4/10.

At least this thing closed with the one of the list's strongest tracks. We peaked at an 8/10 here folks. We should all be ashamed with ourselves. 7/10.

I thought Coroner had it easily until yours and Old Wainds' savage ratings. There goes my theory about them being the one band in metal pretty much everyone enjoys.

Reactions: CiG
i like some coroner although they struggle for consistency to these ears. i'm only really big on the first song on that album. the band everyone in metal enjoys is voivod duh!

Reactions: CiG
there’s no metal album i know more closely by heart

Do you enjoy the whole album? I usually lose interest after "Primal Breath". I tried listening to the whole thing recently and there are some interesting parts scattered throughout the rest of the album but I find the songs either don't flow very well or they're dull compared to tracks 2 through 5.

i quite enjoy most of it but yeah obviously not the same level. i can't remember which offhand but i don't think alf was as involved with some of that stuff, he was already itching to leave.