Themed Mixtape Game

Arrogance is probably more likely ignorance tbh. My family came to Ellis Island as "Immigrants from Iceland" somehow that butchered our family name to Ice.

Reactions: CiG
Just to be clear, would Americans consider this to be a cookie?

foodsofengland%20hillsdigestives.jpg

Because that's retarded.

Altering a language in a synactically logical way is now arrogance, how brilliant.

You haven't proven it is "syntactically logical" and nor have you explained your obsession with the letter z, which is not pronounced zee, btw.

English is the most aesthetically pleasing language in the world and French is second, so it makes sense we would adopt some things to make the master language. American English is vulgar, as evidenced by "gotten" being acceptable.

Set all this confusing bollocks aside, the real question is:

Is it an Americanism to call soft bread biscuits - biscuits - rather than scones, which would mean that the Scottish speak American-English in this case, or is it that some Americanisms are actually just throwbacks to English words the English themselves don't use anymore?

No man. Thick, crumbly biscuits are only called cookies in England. ALL hard biscuits are called cookies in America.
So they're only called cookies in England but they're also called cookies in America? I see.

Also I see thick crumbly biscuits called cookies in Australia all the time.

English is the most aesthetically pleasing language in the world and French is second, so it makes sense we would adopt some things to make the master language. American English is vulgar, as evidenced by "gotten" being acceptable.

It's acceptable just as "begotten" and "ill-gotten" are acceptable.

Maybe it was just a limitation of the language at the time, they are different things and it makes sense for them to have different names. I don't know enough about the history of scones and biscuits. I don't consider it to be an Americanism if you adopt a certain word from there. I consider Americanisms to be the altering of the spelling of words or changing phrases. Such as:

- Deplane instead of disembark.
- Transportation instead of transport.
- I got it for free/cheap. The for is useless here.
- The aforementioned "gotten".
- I'm waiting on my train. Errm no, I'm pretty sure you're standing on the platform waiting for it.
- Also "I could care less" which makes no sense.

And what about the rest? Which either don't make sense, or don't "simplify" the language as Lovecraft said you have done.

Gotten is not longer acceptable in British English for obvious reasons (other than your example of "ill-gotten", which is rarely used anyway.) You continue to use it.

So they're only called cookies in England but they're also called cookies in America? I see.

Also I see thick crumbly biscuits called cookies in Australia all the time.

Thick, crumbly biscuits are called cookies, it's an Americanism. America imports it's culture globally, so yes, that specific kind of biscuit is known as a cookie in Australia and England too. Especially with the popularity of Subway.

What was the actual point of your comment, besides advertising the fact that you entirely missed the point?