Themed Mixtape Game

Eric Adams is the standout talent in the band imo. None of the others are remarkable in any way. Joey DeMaio plays with a pick for crying out loud. Playing bass super fast with a pick isn't anything to boast about.
Irrespective of his speed, he's a well above average bass player. Ross Friedman is a guitar legend, he helped found The Dictators, arguably one of the top 3 protopunk acts ever, and Manowar, both to which he contributed nothing short of stellar musicianship. Scott Columbus, though far from the most technically impressive drummer, has an excellent sense of fills, and without a doubt is among the hardest striking drummers I've ever heard.

Irrespective of his speed, he's a well above average bass player. Ross Friedman is a guitar legend, he helped found The Dictators, arguably one of the top 3 protopunk acts ever, and Manowar, both to which he contributed nothing short of stellar musicianship. Scott Columbus, though far from the most technically impressive drummer, has an excellent sense of fills, and without a doubt is among the hardest striking drummers I've ever heard.
Interesting, I didn't know that about Ross the Boss. But yeah I'm still not feeling the virtuosity with any of them. Playing fast and hitting hard were things I found impressive when I was a teen, not so much now.

Interesting, I didn't know that about Ross the Boss. But yeah I'm still not feeling the virtuosity with any of them. Playing fast and hitting hard were things I found impressive when I was a teen, not so much now.
Ross's strength isn't virtuosity, just listen to the guitar work on those classic Dictators and Manowar records. He's got a knack for really good, 1, 2 punch riffing, riffs that just whip your ass, and he's a more than competent soloist. As for Scott, I never said he was virtuosic either, in fact, I made sure to clarify that wasn't the most technically impressive when it came to drumming. He was a competent drummer, excellent at keeping a four on the floor beat, and with a knack for superb drum fills now and again. Once you have that as a drummer, hitting hard is an excellent addition to your technique and playing, not comparing the two, but look at John Bonham's strikes, the dude may as well have been using Thor's hammer instead of drum sticks. With Scott, they literally had to get him steel drum tops because by the end of a gig he'd have decimated a normal kit beyond use.

'One of metal's finest/greatest/most exemplary' - These are bold statements and considering some of the players in metal these guys would need to have something extraordinarily special going on to live up to such titles. Nothing you've said is convincing me of that. They are competent players and obviously forged their place in metal history but like I said Eric Adams is the only standout for me.

'One of metal's finest/greatest/most exemplary' - These are bold statements and considering some of the players in metal these guys would need to have something extraordinarily special going on to live up to such titles. Nothing you've said is convincing me of that. They are competent players and obviously forged their place in metal history but like I said Eric Adams is the only standout for me.
To be honest, I don't know what you want from me that would prove it to you. They all possess a rather unique approach to their instruments, and though not always exceedingly notable on a purely technical level, demonstrate certain unique capacities on their instruments that just aren't commonplace. Ross especially is an immutably distinct guitarist, whether it be his choices in phrasing, his knack for riff composition, or the general flavor of his playing style. He's not going to pull a Malmsteen and shred Bach, but his skill lies elsewhere.

To be honest, I don't know what you want from me that would prove it to you. They all possess a rather unique approach to their instruments, and though not always exceedingly notable on a purely technical level, demonstrate certain unique capacities on their instruments that just aren't commonplace. Ross especially is an immutably distinct guitarist, whether it be his choices in phrasing, his knack for riff composition, or the general flavor of his playing style. He's not going to pull a Malmsteen and shred Bach, but his skill lies elsewhere.
Cool. I'll definitely check out some Dictators, are you familiar with their stuff? Recs?

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Cool. I'll definitely check out some Dictators, are you familiar with their stuff? Recs?
I'm absolutely familiar, love 'em. Bloodbrothers is a stone cold classic, so you probably wanna start there if you wanna start strong. Same for Go Girl Crazy!, their debut album. Their middle, sophomore album, Manifest Destiny is good, but not a classic like the other two. Beyond that they've got some live albums, which aren't terribly essential, but not bad listens if you honestly just want to take a look. Their fourth album, D.F.F.D., is decent, but just doesn't live up to their original three 70's records for me. Likely because it was their first studio record in 23 years, and they were past their creative prime.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Are we losing interest because we're burnt out on the game or disinterested in the this particular playlist? I think it's the latter for me. But I'll try to soldier through.

Venom - Black Metal
I respect Venom for influencing a lot of bands I love but their actual material isn't that interesting to me. This is probably one of their better songs.
7/10

Sarcofago - Deathrash

So this is where that memetic line originates from? Not really my thing but points for brevity.
6/10

Metal Church - Metal Church
7/10

Pandemonium - Heavy Metal Soldiers
8/10

Blood Duster - Metal as Fuck

Dumb shit but that verse chugging is oddly satisfying. Yeah ok I'll like this.
7/10

Crypt - Metallust Fever
I love hearing power metal with this kind of uncharacteristic harshness to it. And goddamn that last section is great.
9/10

Fates Warning - Pirates of the Underground
FW's lyrics really piss me off on some songs and this is one of them. I'm way too dumb for this, I can't relate this shit to anything. I assume it has something to do with metal just because of that one line addressing the controversy around supposed subliminal messages in metal and hard rock songs. I don't care if it's on-theme or not. Strictly musically it's still probably the least interesting song on TSW, and although I can't entirely dislike a song with a passage as beautiful as that one at around the 4-minute mark, I'm still going to downrate it for being a lazy subission from one of the most adored albums on this site.
5/10

Satan's Host - Metal from Hell

Points basically for having an awesome sound, but why can't we have one of the truly great Satan's Host songs in this game? Where was Black Stele in the Buildings round?
8/10

Cryonic Temple - Eternal Flames of Metal

Appreciate you flying the power metal flag Talos but this isn't great.
6/10

Nargaroth - Black Metal Ist Krieg

I don't understand this. Is it sincere or parody? Is it succeeding at whatever it's trying to be? Phylactery halp
5/10

Banzai - Voy a tu ciudad

Intro riff puts me in a good mood that lasts the whole song. Fun stuff, bit on the hard rock side but it is the early 80s after all.
9/10

Exmortus - Metal is King

Has a modern sound that I immediately associate with a number of not-great bands but this whole song is just pure riff and solo magic. Actually good Baroquecore?
9/10

Visigoth - Iron Brotherhood
8/10

Manowar - Gloves of Metal

Submitting Manowar for this theme is like submitting Summoning for a Tolkien theme; painfully obvious but no other band should win.
10/10

Gotta say, this playlist ended on a strong run of songs.

I think that a deadline to rate needs to be set as it's been just under two weeks since the playlist was posted. And not a ridiculous one like the end of this week or anything like that.

Venom - 4 what VP said
Sarcofago - 3 oh is this over now? boring
Metal Church - 8 the only Metal Church album i've enjoyed
Pandemonium - 5 has some 80's charm but is otherwise pbad
Blood Duster - 5 it's like a more extreme motorhead but somehow not as exciting
Crypt - 6.5 listenable. singer could be better for this style
Fates Warning - 7 average FW song. The "vocal harmony" part is awful, sounds like a bunch of cats with mange. some bright spots.
Satan's Host - 3 annoying vocally, instrumentally, the riffs, all of it. how can people enjoy this stuff and then not like thrash, this is like really shitty garage thrash.
Cryonic Temple - 4 the bad kind of power metal, but not the worst kind
Nargaroth - 2 meh
Banzai - 3 certain i wouldn't even like this if i was mexican
Exmortus - 10 practically perfect
Visigoth - 5 I was about to give this a 7 or 8 for the opening track. but the actual track submitted isn't nearly as good
Manowar - 1 gay

I've been really busy lately which is why I haven't rated. But yeah, I also didn't find this theme particularly interesting either.

I'm off next week so I'll should be able to submit a song for, and rate the next one.