Themed Mixtape Game

Tokyo Blade - Warrior of the Rising Sun
Totally fucking glorious.
10/10

Geisha Goner - The Fallen Race
Glad Baroque pointed out that this is on-theme so I don't have to downrate it, because it's really good. Unhinged and interesting.
8/10

Martyr - Speed of Samurai

Samurai-themed early Maiden worship? What is this, Tokyo Blade? With fucking King Diamond wails? This is too cool.
9/10

Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace

Bonus points for having the best accoustic seppuku section in this playlist.
9/10

Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Samurai

Endearing and fun, though I'm not quite drunk enough for this.
7/10

Sabbat - Samurai Zombies

Evil and weird and amazing.
10/10

Cacophony - Sword of the Warrior

I don't see anything in these lyrics to explicitly tie this song to Samurai, but I think it's ambiguous/related enough to be appropriated as a Samurai-themed song so I'll give it a pass. Anyway this is pretty cool, exceeds my expectations for a lead guitarist-oriented project though it still sounds like one.
7/10

Nightstryke - THe Story of the Forty Seven Ronin
8/10

Enforcer - Katana

Accented vocals aside, this sounds NWoBHM as fuck in a good way. Great stuff.
8/10

Hellhound - Samurai Warrior
8/10

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Slayer is in-crowd thrash for people that don't like thrash metal (most of this forum). The fact that they've won multiple times only shows how limited this forum's taste for thrash is, and that they're a safe win if picked. Doesn't count.

Slayer is in-crowd thrash for people that don't like thrash metal (most of this forum). The fact that they've won multiple times only shows how limited this forum's taste for thrash is, and that they're a safe win if picked. Doesn't count.

Especially anything from Hell Awaits or Reign in Blood which aren't phenomenal Slayer albums anyway

Which is why I wished to emerge victorious with an Exodus pick. :cool:

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
You are qualifying your earlier post because someone pointed out that you weren't right about thrash not winning regularly. Exodus also just won.

A band winning regularly is not the same thing as a genre winning regularly. I had a Demolition Hammer pick that was 100% on-theme lyrically downrated just because it wasn't "musically on theme" enough for some atmoshitter black metal fans. So three songs out of, what number is this now, game 30 or something? I'm not saying people can't downrate thrash if they don't like it, they have the right to display their shit taste as much as anyone else, but to act like fucking Flotsam & Jetsam of all bands is too easy is ridiculous.

I actually enjoyed the inclusion of the Flotsam and Jetsam song, as indicated by my rating and comment on it.

Thrash is probably one of the winningest metal subgenres in this game. Unfortunately some of the recent games aren't on the first post, but there are several thrash songs there and Slayer isn't the only band that has won.

Unfortunately, you providing a single instance of a thrash song not winning isn't evidence that thrash never wins. Doom metal seems to win a lot, but there are also a lot of doom songs that didn't win.

Doom also won a lot with the same band. Saint Vitus have won 3 times iirc.

Also, with regards to his Demolition Hammer pick, I remember a lot of people praising it for being an interesting take on the theme. So I don't know what he's talking about. Maybe one or two people downvoted it at most.

Well I searched a bit more and found that Sodom and Coroner have won at least once each as well. I'll have to do a comprehensive check of this.

The Demolition Hammer song scored in the top 4 in its round and got a score of just 0.85 lower than the Scald song in the round that you submitted it in.

1. Scald - 8.35
4. Demolition Hammer - 7.5

This doesn't look like people took a massive shit on the song.

I'm pretty sure at least people said it didn't sound nature-y enough, because nature apparently sounds like a high-gain guitar amp strumming three chords in a shitty bedroom or something.

But Scald, along with Saint Vitus and others, shows how easily doom metal gets up-rated here. At the very least I maintain that doom metal deserves 0/10 ratings for being too common more than thrash.

It's your prerogative to rate like a little baby if you think your favorites aren't represented properly. Just don't try to act like thrash doesn't win a lot.

I'd also like to meet the legion of people who love Slayer but hate all other thrash metal. What are their usernames?

Me probably. Although I like quite a lot of thrash other than Slayer, I just don't hide the fact that's it's my least preferred genre of metal (out of the major genres anyway).

I've never been really able to explain why. But I think a lot of thrash is quite immediately enjoyable and not as subtle as other genres (obviously there are exceptions) and this makes me less likely to frequently revisit these albums. A lot of its appeal also seems to come from superificial qualities like how hard it riffs.