Themed Mixtape Game

Earth - There is a serpent coming
7/10
I was expecting aimless droning, but I guess that's not the case for their more recent work. This is pretty good heavy psychadelic stuff.

Omen - Dragon's Breath
6/10
This was fairly standard and not that memorable, overall. The chorus was decent enough, I guess.

Tyrant - Take it to the Dragon
7.5/10
Overall, a strong ballad
Roaring passionate delivery in the chorus

Amon Amarth - The Dragon's flight across the waves
7.5/10
I haven't realy checked out early Amon Amarth, aside from
Since I enjoy their signature sound in any case, this was to my liking,

The Black Dahlia Murder - Vlad, Son of the Dragon
4/10
I'm not hating it, but there's no way I'm letting this square peg through.

Bewitched - Dragonflight
7.5/10
This is the band that's easy to confuse with the Swedish band of the same name, as they both have axes in the logo and the both fuse black metal with more traditional metal of some form or another. That's all I have to say about that.

Dream Evil - Chasing the Dragon
6.5/10
Not much to be said.

Dark Millennium - Beyond the Dragon's Eye
8/10
A choice find, this is death/doom that is reminiscent of Solitude Aeturnus in parts, to me at least. The ominous clean arpeggios work well within the overall framework.

Saint Vitus - Dragon Time
7/10
Fairly solid riffs, but doesn't consistently grab me.

The Wizards - Dragon Slayers
3/10
I would be better if they were actual niggas, instead of this white boy shit.

Crimson Glory - Where Dragons Rule
7.5/10
This more what I wanted that Omen track to be.

Heir Apparent- Dragon's Lair
6/10
This is mixed too quiet. Dragons do not whimper, they roar. I don't like turning up the volume for just one track and then turning it back down again.

Nocternity - Valyrian Steel (Blood of the Dragon)
7.5/10
It's relentless in its wall of oppressive sound, and it really picks up in the latter half of the song.

Therion - Ho Drakon Ho Megas
0/10
Whoever submitted this song is obviously an idiot.

Maveth - Dragon of the Continuum
7.5/10
Crushing death metal with enough evil melody to keep it interesting.

Helcaraxe - Red Dragon
6.5/10
This is better than it's been made out to be, but still, it can't fully justify it's 8+ minute length.

Well that's 15 votes, I think the averages aren't changing much with 1 more vote. Here are the final results:

Saint Vitus - Dragon Time (7.83) (Master_Yoda77)
Nocternity - Valyrian Steel (Blood of the Dragon) (7.43) (CASSETTEISGOD)
Crimson Glory - Where Dragons Rule (7.40) (Funerary_Doom)
Omen - Dragon's Breath (7.33) (Slayed Necros)
Tyrant - Take it to the Dragon (7.27) (Vegard Pompey)
Bewitched - Dragonflight (6.87) (Phylactery)
Dark Millennium - Beyond the Dragon's Eye (6.75) (HamburgerBoy)
Heir Apparent - Dragon's Lair (6.73) (no country for old wainds)
Maveth - Dragon of the Continuum (6.43) (TechnicalBarbarity)
Amon Amarth - The Dragon's Flight Across the Waves (5.90) (Omni)
Dream Evil - Chasing the Dragon (5.30) (arg)
Helcaraxe - Red Dragon (5.00) (Krow)
Earth - There is a Serpent Coming (4.37) (Carpe Mortem)
Therion - Ho Drakon Ho Megas (3.37) (Serjeant Grumbles)
The Black Dahlia Murder - Vlad, Son of the Dragon (3.30) (EspaDa)
The Wizards - Dragon Slayers (2.33) (The Butt)

@Master_Yoda77 is our winner this time around. Congrats! And good luck tallying up all these votes lol. But the fun thing is, you get to choose the next topic. What's it gonna be?

Omen was just barely winning after 9 votes, but then Saint Vitus rocketed to the top.

Also did the Butt set the record for lowest average ever?

Really glad you guys all liked my pick except arg. I expected more people than just arg to downvote it for being a six minute ballad.

As someone mentioned above, the chorus really sticks in your head. I didn't have to think a full second about my selection this round. Soon as I saw the word 'dragon' my mind immediately prefaced it with "I'M GONNA TAKE EEEEEET, TO THE..."

Good game everyone even arg. Congrats to Master_Yoda.

Most people could get down to old Amon Amarth tbh, except me apparently. It was a good choice, "a blast from the past" so to speak.

Also Congrats @Master_Yoda77! Your track ruled. I need that album.

Edit: also I think it depends on what you mean by abstract. I think as long as it's a tangible concept it should be fine. But we'll see what others have to say as well.

Edit 2: @no country for old wainds I actually thought about Crimon Glory's Dragon Lady first but I thought Where Dragons Rule was a better fit because Dragon Lady seemed to me more like a witch of crazy psychic person than an actual dragon. #thinkingtoohard :lol:

Last edited:
amon amarth was by omni lol how untrve and unkvlt

Actually, it was picked by Dodens Grav because he wanted to contribute a song when I told him about the game. I'm pretty sure that he searched his MP3s for "Dragon" and Amon Amarth was first because of the artist name. I've never even heard more than two or three songs by the band, but I thought this one seemed decent enough.

He told me that he would like to play the game again in the future if people are okay with it, but he doesn't want to actually post here because he doesn't even know his password anymore.

Also, I feel bad that I rated people that I like choice's kinda low. :( this theme was hard to decipher who picked what.

Carpe was right when you know who picked what, it really affects their score.

Lol I've been bitching that my pick sucked for 4 pages now.

Might as well rate things the way you feel. I may have actually cost Nocternity the win with the low score I gave it, in hindsight. Just didn't feel very dragony to me.

tell dodens he can fuck right off participating from afar. get him to register a new account. this forum's way better than when he last posted here, he'd probably enjoy himself.

the tyrant was my second backup pick btw pompey!

i'd like a mixture of abstract and more literal themes, m'self.

Actually, it was picked by Dodens Grav because he wanted to contribute a song when I told him about the game. I'm pretty sure that he searched his MP3s for "Dragon" and Amon Amarth was first because of the artist name. I've never even heard more than two or three songs by the band, but I thought this one seemed decent enough.

He told me that he would like to play the game again in the future if people are okay with it, but he doesn't want to actually post here because he doesn't even know his password anymore.

Lol you're posting for Dodens.

tell dodens he can fuck right off participating from afar. get him to register a new account. this forum's way better than when he last posted here, he'd probably enjoy himself.

Or tell him to retrieve his password?

After telling him to fuck off though.

Reactions: The Butt
First bands that came to mind in this theme: Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Demons & Wizards.

Most people could get down to old Amon Amarth tbh, except me apparently. It was a good choice, "a blast from the past" so to speak.

Nah, im pretty much with you on that as well. Back in high school all my friends seem to like them, but I just couldnt really get into it. I never really hated them, but it just never stuck.

Im down for abstract themes, but if it is too abstract I think people would have a tough time picking something fitting.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I knew Earth wouldn't do all that well, but loved that track as an intro. I took one for the team to maintain the chronological cohesion of our playlist. You're welcome.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey

That's what I told him before. He insists that he won't do it. The fact that he actually thought that Amon Amarth would be able to win shows that he doesn't know the current atmosphere of this site. He seemed surprised that there were so many traditional metal bands doing well.

Oh, and for the record, I wanted to pick "Dragon Time" as I stated in my ratings post, but I agreed to let him pick this one time in my place.