Themed Mixtape Game

also their lies about being around in the '80s getting exposed caused our esteemed friend omni to have a mental breakdown, die and be reincarnated as a male.

illK6U.gif

Mercyful Fate - Into the Coven
10/10

A nice baroque-ish start to the mixtape. Easily, one of my favorite songs of all-time. This is trademark call and response King Diamond

Barathrum - Revenge by Magick
6/10

I initially came upon these guys through their loose ties with Demilich. Though I really enjoy the carnal mid-tempo stuff they put out, it always seemed sort of phoned-in.

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace

4.5/10

Presumptions: It's been over a decade since I've written these dudes off. Time has soften my edges a bit so we'll see.

Conclusion: Phew, idk if I can get behind their sound design. Everything seems to be layered/mixed in a way that doesn't sound cohesive to my year like they're really trying to drive home that they're all symphonic and stuff. I can see the appeal especially given the time period. It seems dated in a "you had to be there kind of way". Not nearly as awful as I recalled though.

Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites
10/10

This opener validated so many people's lives that I don't need to elaborate.

Hour of 13 - Call to Satan
8.5/10

One of the reasons I returned to this forum is that the collective memory is strong. I remember purchasing this record upon it's release and the many idle days it provided the backdrop to. In a lot of other communities, great albums that don't have any major historical relevance tend to get tacked on to year end lists and then subsequently forgotten.

Cultes des Ghoules - Scholomance
5/10

First track I haven't heard before. Pretty grits and gravy. Don't know why they had the vocal mix so prominently above everything else. That guitar moaning was pretty moody though when it played in unison with vocal yowling.

Necromantia - Spiritdance
8.5/10

Dream Death - Black Edifice
9.5/10

slow yet torrential. stero-laced vocal choruses. near perfection

Root - Salamandra
7.5/10

Damn, never knew Root pivoted to this sound. reminds me of where darkthrone has been going. The vocals are endearingly corny akin to typo-negative meets the count from sesame street.

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons
6.5/10

Second band i'm not familiar with. Have no clue of this album's context, but seems like late 80's Coroner/Watchtower aping. A solid track, but I couldn't imagine choosing this over all the late 80's tech thrash.

Necros Christos - Invoked from Carrion Slumber
6/10

Was never too keen on post-TIR Necros Christos. Just always found it slightly uninspired.

Pagan Altar - The Black Mass
9/10

Classic

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

9.5/10

also classic

Last edited:
Mercyful Fate - Into the Coven: As obvious as it is, it's still better than putting in Black Magic. Not to mention that it kicks ass. Gonna have to dock a point for being obvious though. 8/10

Barathrum - Revenge by Magick: Hmm...it's interesting. Wasn't TOO impressed but it wasn't bad either. I'll give it a...6.5/10

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace: I've never liked this band. It's just bland. It's nowhere near as visceral as a lot of other symphonic black metal like Emperor or Summoning so...yeah, it doesn't hold up well at all. 4/10

Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites: Same as Mercyful Fate. Awesome but gonna have to dock a point for being obvious. 8/10

Hour of 13 - Call to Satan: Some pretty sweet doom metal. 9/10

Cultes des Ghoules - Scholomance: This was pretty interesting. I liked the vibe of it. I agree with @Dazed and Brutal though. The vocals are mixed quite high. 7.5/10

Necromantia - Spiritdance: One of my favorites right here. 9.5/10

Dream Death - Black Edifice: \m/ 9/10

Root - Salamandra: 8/10

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons: In 1989, huh? Cool. I still like their contemporaries a bit more but this was entertaining nonetheless. Also, STEVEN! HI STEVEN! 7/10

Necros Christos - Invoked from Carrion Slumber: This actually wasn't half bad. 7.5/10

Pagan Altar - The Black Mass: 8/10

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas: Not my favorite and very obvious but...fuck it. 8/10

This was a cool playlist.

It would be pretty awesome if one of these games was starting a new round on a Friday or Saturday. Never seems to happen that way.

Lazy ratings this time, sorry. MF, MA, PA and Mayhem had points docked for obviousness.
Really glad I'm in the US because half the videos in this playlist are those 'topic' videos that never play in my country.

Mercyful Fate - 5/10
Barathrum - 8/10
Dimmu Borgir - 6/10
Morbid Angel - 7/10
Hour of 13 - 10/10
Cultes des Ghoules - 7/10
Necromantia - 6/10
Dream Death - 8/10
Root - 9/10
Disciples of Power - 8/10
Necros Christos - 6/10
Pagan Altar - 7/10
Mayhem - 3/10

deducted a couple points where i said i would.

Mercyful Fate - Into the Coven

third weakest on a fine album. every single song on the follow up is better. 5/10

Barathrum - Revenge by Magick

stripped down enough to be successful in a direct no frills sorta way, if ultimately kinda shallow. 6.5/10

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace

repetitive and a bit maudlin, but less shitty than people here would have you believe. 6/10

Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites

classic. 7/10

Hour of 13 - Call to Satan

fun hour of 13 fact: chad davis spent some time in demoncy, maybe that influenced the lyrical themes? there are reasons why this is probably the most revered trad doom album of the '00s after the rev biz debut; it's simple, stark, full of good hooks. shame about all the bullshit that went on after this. 8/10

production hurts this for me. 5/10

Necromantia - Spiritdance

always the weirdest of the unholy greek trinity, not always productively. this one's pretty good. 7.5/10

more of a logical continuation of celtic frost's greatness than any of the pompous nonsense mr. fischer's been peddling lately. does border on being a rip off, but there's a certain coldness and sharpness that distinguishes it, along with a newfound lyrical vividness. 8/10

Root - Salamandra

weird and intense. 8/10

Disciples of Power - Ice Demons

conceptually relevant to my interests. 9/10

relentlessly boring and samey band. 4/10

probably second weakest on the album for me but still very good. vocals don't do it for me really, which is probably blasphemous around here. 7/10

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

their best. 8/10

does border on being a rip off
vocals don't do it for me really, which is probably blasphemous around here.
production hurts this for me.
relentlessly boring and samey band.

tumblr_nni481SjWk1upnsqgo1_500.gif

:D

Mercyful Fate - Into the Coven 8.5/10
Barathrum - Revenge by Magick 8.5/10
Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace 7.5/10
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites 10/10
Hour of 13 - Call to Satan 7/10
Cultes des Ghoules - Scholomance 5.5/10
Necromantia - Spiritdance 6.5/10
Dream Death - Black Edifice 5/10
Root - Salamandra 8.5/10
Disciples of Power - Ice Demons 5.5/10
Necros Christos - Invoked from Carrion Slumber 5/10
Pagan Altar - The Black Mass 9.5/10
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas 9/10

From the songs I didn't know prior to listening to this playlist, I enjoyed the most of Barathrum and Root. One of our best playlists tbh.

Results:

Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites (@EspaDa) 8.12
Hour of 13 - Call to Satan (@Master_Yoda77) 7.95
Mercyful Fate - Into the Coven (@Talos of Atmora) 7.87
Dream Death - Black Edifice (@HamburgerBoy) 7.83
Root - Salamandra (@Serjeant Grumbles) 7.83
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (@Vilden) 7.79
Pagan Altar - The Black Mass (@Elric of Melniboné) 7.58
Necromantia - Spiritdance (@Krow) 7.20
Disciples of Power - Ice Demons (@Baroque) 6.83
Barathrum - Revenge by Magick (@Vegard Pompey) 6.37
Necros Christos - Invoked From Carrion Slumber (@dwellerINTHEdark) 6.16