Themed Mixtape Game

Since it has been so cold here lately, to the point that I avoid touching my own exposed skin with my hands because my hands are cold, the next theme is:

COLDNESS

This can mean choosing a song with a cold atmosphere or feeling to it, to a song with a cold robotic production or a song that is lyrically about anything cold.

Even emotional coldness could count.

Hopefully a really simple theme like this will rejuvenate the game.

This theme is too fucking broad.

Broad themes are good and lead to more creative choices. Narrow ones are boring and usually lead to predictable results. Not sure if I want to go for the literal or symbolic route for this one.

Reactions: CiG
Since it has been so cold here lately, to the point that I avoid touching my own exposed skin with my hands because my hands are cold, the next theme is:

COLDNESS

This can mean choosing a song with a cold atmosphere or feeling to it, to a song with a cold robotic production or a song that is lyrically about anything cold.

Even emotional coldness could count.

Hopefully a really simple theme like this will rejuvenate the game.

I like your theme. I'll send you a song.

Sent. Couldn't find a couple of my top picks on YouTube unfortunately but oh well, had like a dozen different songs I'd be happy to send.

nordland-i-52241d91d4779.jpg

COLDNESS

Messiah Force - White Night
Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere
Rage - Don't Fear the Winter
Pestilence - Suspended Animation
Oblivion - Frosted Avowals
Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat
Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland
Sorcier des Glaces - North
Voïvod - Fall
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater
Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds

Messiah Force - White Night
Boring intro in 2. The guitar/bass riffs and production are feeling awfully amateur. The vocalist is pretty decent though. I guess it does feel cold like a blizzard during the verse, and then it turns to night with scattered snow, it does an ok job at evoking the theme. Started a 5, but trended upwards to a 7/10

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere
The music itself is much more interesting than the last track. Doesn't feel super cold, all that activity sounds energetic creating warmth. Also different layers fill out the sound spectrum from low to high. I enjoyed it though so I'll toss it an 8/10

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter
This doesn't feel cold at all. It's like saying we're so hot we're riding motorcycles shirtless through the desert. There's not even a winter here to fear. Catchy tho. Solid guitar work. 7.5/10

Pestilence - Suspended Animation
Cold presentation. Doesn't give a fuck if you like harsh vocals and guitars or not, here they are, in your face. Of course Pestilence kicks ass, I want to dock a point for obvious bands but they haven't been used too often in this game. 8.5/10

Obliveon - Frosted Avowals
This is shaping up to be a killer playlist tbh. Pretty sure I know who submitted a few of these, but that's alright, people aren't messing around just submitting what they actually like to revive the game. Obliveon kicks even more ass than Pestilence. This is what Vektor sounded like before traversing a celestial time warp. Sick riffs throughout. 9.5/10

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat
Upon seeing this playlist I instantly knew this was the weakest track. Doesn't disappoint. Wannabe Judas Priest without the vocal proficiency, boring riff on repeat. 4/10

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland
10/10.

Sorcier des Glaces - North
I was like this is gonna suck, but then it got good, but then it started to suck after all, but then it got good (but then it sucked again). This music is too slow changing for me. 5/10

Voivod - Fall
First time hearing this song from the 2016 EP. It's cool (heh) but not really their best material. Has that classic twisted guitar tone/riffage you expect from Voivod, but drags at times. If they increased the bpm by like 5-10 overall, this might be a better song. 7/10

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
Whoever referred to this song as "thrash/death" doesn't know a thing about drums. The drums are super boring. 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,... (sometimes with "fills" on 3,4). Tbh the guitar is not much better. The only interesting thing here is the vocalist. 5.5/10

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater
Really not JP's best album by far but it's a massive improvement over the last song in every instrument, and vocally. Too long (that's what she said). 7.5/10

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds
Pretty damn good. I never gave this band a chance because of the facepaint and plenty of other well deserved jokes about their image. turns out the music is aiight. I'd go 8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
Pretty damn good. I never gave this band a chance because of the facepaint and plenty of other well deserved jokes about their image. turns out the music is aiight. I'd go 8/10
To be entirely fair, they don't really take themselves too seriously either. Kind of sets them apart from bands like Mayhem in a good way.