Themed Mixtape Game

Behold... The Arctopus – Alcoholocaust

These guys were too self-aware to be called properly pretentious. Funny how huge this was a decade ago and no one really gives a shit about them anymore. I think this has actually grown on me tbh. 7/10 but not very pretentious so 4/10.

Accept - Rich and Famous

A completely unpretentious shitty blues rock bonus track from nadir-era Accept. 2/10 but not pretentious so 0/10.

Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement

Hats off, didn’t expect a song with lyrics actually about pretentiousness. Actually pretty interesting musically as well. Maybe a 7.5/10 but I don’t know this band at all and it’s a great pick so 10/10.

Manowar - Metal Warriors

Haven’t listened to this album since like 2005 or something. Hated it then but this sounds like perfectly fine Manowar to me. I’m guessing the submitter originally intended to submit Achilles, Agony, and Ecstasy in Eight Parts but then decided on irony instead. 6/10, not pretentious so 0/10.

Devin Townsend - The Death of Music

I’m not remotely a fan of Devin Townsend and a lot of this album sounds like dental office prog metal (ironically those parts are sometimes the best ones), but this song gets it right. It’s almost surprising that such a dork could put something together so pretentious yet simultaneously inoffensive and smooth. The overall production gives me those late 90s pop nostalgia feels as well even though of course this was never on the radio. 7/10.

Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black

This was actually really cool, I didn’t know I liked Electric Wizard. Is this pretentious? Doesn’t really seem so to me, either just a story or maybe a bit boastful. 7/10 down to a 4/10.

Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace

0/10.

Therion - Adulruna Rediviva

Lmfao, kind of blows my mind that a song like this can even exist, all the money and effort that went into actually recording this. Even the fucking YouTube uploader went along with it with well-synchronized images and shit beyond what Nuclear Blast does for their own official “Lyrical Music Videos” or whatever. Parts of this were kind of enjoyable. 3/10.

Edge Of Sanity – Crimson

I know a 40 minute song should be a shoo-in for pretentiousness, but it really isn’t that much to me. The riffs are very accessible, melodies almost poppy, and it’s broken into chapters that wouldn’t be hard to imagine as discrete songs. Most importantly, the story is very straight-forward in delivery, it’s not trying to be anything deeper than it really is, just more “epic”. I mean, is A Sorcerer’s Pledge a pretentious song? One of those albums I don’t think about much and would never call a favorite, but I have to admit there were a bunch of riffs I still really like and seem almost iconic to me. 7/10, bumped down to a 5/10.

Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth

I might like this album if it wasn’t so fucking long, this song on its own was pretty listenable. A tiny bit pretentious but eh. 5/10 down to a 3/10.

D1Q5nls.jpg

Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust 5/10

I don't really understand how this is pretentious, though I do know a few pretentious cuntnecks that love this band, they're also big fans of Tool.

Accept - Rich and Famous 4/10

Is this Accept trying to sound like a cheesier version of The Sweet? Ballroom Blitzkrieg? I don't think this is thematic.

Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement 10/10

100% on theme and awesome band.

Manowar - Metal Warriors 5/10

Beginning to think that nobody knows what the fuck pretentious means. Possibly the weakest track on one of my favourite Manowar albums.

Devin Townsend - The Death of Music 7/10

"dental office prog metal" that is fucking hilarious and spot-on. Just the way Devin sings makes me think of pretentiousness, all that weird fake Phil Collins-esque strained voice bullshit.

Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black 8/10

God damn I still fucking love Come My Fanatics! This makes me want to eat pussy.

I suppose it does have that typical drug user pretentious mentality of my mind is open through drugs you pleb sheep your mind is closed be like me see the truth.

Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace 6/10

Long =/= pretentious, in my opinion.

Anyway, this was absolutely fantastic, totally fell in love. But less points for a lack of theme. (Willing to readjust if anybody convinces me of why exactly it is thematic.)

Therion - Adulruna Rediviva 5/10

This does have a kind of self-important fart-sniffing feel to it, but again I'm thinking the same as the previous track. If a long song to you = pretentious, it could just be that you're intimidated by things that aren't 3 minutes and 50 seconds long. (Yes I know, THAT was a pretentious comment.)

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson 5.5/10

The irony of this whole round is that some pretentious asshole really needs to explain what the fuck pretentious means to you bastards.

Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth 7/10

Beautiful track but it definitely oozes with pretentiousness.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust
6/10
Doodly-diddly-deedly

Accept - Rich And Famous
4/10
This just sounds like butt rock.

Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement
7/10

Manowar - Metal Warriors
8/10

Devin Townsend - The Death of Music
5/10
Pretty ironic juxtaposition to follow up the self-proclaimed "loudest band in the world" with the quietest thing ever.

Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black
7/10
Pretty good

Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace
7/10

Therion - Adulruna Rediviva
9/10

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
8/10

Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth
8/10

Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust
6/10
Doodly-diddly-deedly

bXkjW.gif

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX61tYO3oEFcAzKfLf96lBzXC3r_z2Pqr

Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust - 7 lots of wankery alright
Accept - Rich And Famous - 9 he was probably going for lyrical pretentiousness
Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement - 5 reminds me of sort vokter by omni
Manowar - Metal Warriors - 8 tongue in cheek cheesy goodness
Devin Townsend - The Death of Music - 4 got impatient for something to happen
Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black - 4 unpleasant to listen to
Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace - 5 if theyd condense all the good parts into 6 minutes or less i might rate it higher
Therion - Adulruna Rediviva - 8 bombastic wankery
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson - 10 40 minutes of awesome
Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth - 5 snore

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX61tYO3oEFcAzKfLf96lBzXC3r_z2Pqr

Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust - 7 lots of wankery alright
Accept - Rich And Famous - 9 he was probably going for lyrical pretentiousness
Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement - 5 reminds me of sort vokter by omni
Manowar - Metal Warriors - 8 tongue in cheek cheesy goodness
Devin Townsend - The Death of Music - 4 got impatient for something to happen
Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black - 4 unpleasant to listen to
Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace - 5 if theyd condense all the good parts into 6 minutes or less i might rate it higher
Therion - Adulruna Rediviva - 7 bombastic wankery
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson - 10 40 minutes of awesome
Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth - 5 snore

These ratings came in 3 minutes before I was about to post the results. I went back and added them in. A couple things were shaken up but the overall winner didn't change. The winner is CASETTEISGOD

Exit-13 - Unintended Lyrical Befuddlement 8 (CIG)
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson 7.125 (Krow)
Therion - Adulruna Rediviva 6 (Grumbles)
Devin Townsend - The Death of Music 5.75 (Vegard)
Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black 5.75
Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth 5.75
Behold... The Arctopus - Alcoholocaust 5.5 (Yoda)
Manowar - Metal Warriors 5.25 (Carpe)
Sieges Even - Tangerine Windows of Solace 4.5 (HBB)
Accept - Rich And Famous 4.25 (arg)