Themed Mixtape Game

Best cover art ever man.
2363.jpg

@Baroque Are you aware that Thin Lizzy is one of Judas Priest's influences and not the other way around? You can definitely dislike the song, which isn't one of their best songs, but your commentary is not accurate.

The playlist is looking fun. I will rate soon.

Messiah Force - White Night 9/10 female vocals, catchy, awesome!
Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere 7/10 only mildly familar with these guys, song gives off a sinister cold vibe
Rage - Don't Fear the Winter 6/10 not bad, pretty upbeat tune, not something I would listen to on a normal basis
Pestilence - Suspended Animation 9.5/10 I always see people shaving points based on if something is obvious, and I'm not sure how obvious something like Pestilence is? Or if thats a rule to game? But a classic in my book, killer
Obliveon - Frosted Avowals 8.5/10 used to have a copy of From this Day Forward and liked it. Never had or heard anything from these guys beyond that. But this is pretty good.
Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat 7/10 Not much to say, its Thin Lizzy
Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland 7.5/10 European sounding, not bad at all, but I bet they have better songs then this.
Sorcier des Glaces - North 8.5/10 Never been a fan of black metal, never will be. If I have to listen to it, I much prefer something like Dissection. But just going by this song and possibly the mood I'm in I thought this was pretty good. For some reason the first minute and a half/ two minutes reminded me of something I'd hear in an old nintendo game or something.
Voïvod - Fall 5.5/10 This is not the Voivod I remember. Some of their albums took time to grow on me, maybe the same for this, I should check out more of their newer stuff.......but not today.
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather 9/10 Have no idea what this is, but thought it was pretty awesome. Probably the biggest surprise on the list for me......and yeah awesome best/worst album cover
Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater 5/10 Not a big Priest fan, but I like them well enough. Not really digging this though.
Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds 6/10 decent, fits the theme pretty well​

Last edited:
Just got back from a hike, here we go.

Messiah Force - White Night
6.5/10.
I wanted to like this more than I did. They singer just doesnt gel with the music at all. Even with a shitty male singer this would have been better.

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere
7/10.
Never really been a Dissection guy. Decent enough so I wont downrate it much.

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter
5.5/10.

Pestilence - Suspended Animation
7.5/10.

Obliveon - Frosted Avowals
10/10.

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat
8/10.

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland
5.5/10.

Sorcier des Glaces - North
9/10.
Freezing fucking cold.

Voïvod - Fall
7/10.
Interesting but not super great.

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
8/10.
Knew this would be here.

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater
6/10.
Why is this together like this? Cheater doesnt have anything to do with the other songs does it?

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds
8.5/10. Wont do as well as it should.

What did he change?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery
@Krow The entire Judas Priest thing medleys together and is also all one track on the authorized CDs of Rocka Rolla even though the botched Gull reissues all have it separated.

Messiah Force - White Night

The Derek Riggs-esque cover art made me interested in this album when I first learned of it, as did promise of Maiden-y songs, but they never stuck with me. This is better than I remember, liking the loud bass and tense melodies, fits the theme reasonably well, but still just decent overall. 6/10.

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere

Decent. The first half sounds like a meloxtreem version of Exodus which is cool, maybe gets a little too sappy in the second half. 5/10.

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter

Amazing song, speed metal at its most passionate and evocative, but this more anti-cold than anything. I can just imagine snuggling up into Peavy’s arms in a wool sweater in front of a fireplace during the holidays when that chorus comes in. 5/10.

Pestilence - Suspended Animation

Clinical, dispassionate, hopeless, and full of fucking awesome riffs. The bridge section was the first time Pestilence ever gave me chills. 10/10.

Oblivion - Frosted Avowals

9/10.

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat

Has ‘cold’ in the title but doesn’t really feel thematic to me, would have been great for a nervousness mixtape. Not really a favorite song or album for me anyways. 3/10.

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland

Album I wish I could love but it doesn’t do it. Tight but for a tech-thrash band they play a lot of chuggy basic riffs in between the more showy ones, and a kind of goofy Stone-esque tempo without the ability to write the latter’s hooks. Lyrics don’t seem available, but the leads are pretty cold I suppose. 5/10.

Sorcier des Glaces – North

Intro had its moments, once the vocalist came in it became a sapfest. 3/10.

Voïvod – Fall

I considered submitting Forgotten in Space to this playlist for a less literal pick. First time hearing this song, really good and surprisingly different for them, but doesn’t feel cold to me. The first couple minutes barely even sound like Voivod to me, more like some kind of post-hardcore, the chords are actually fairly warm and the personal theme is different. Sounds more like the Voivod I know after that, but not quite cold, just increasingly dissociated, which is pretty cool actually, especially those leads 5 minutes in, like a gradual descent into giving up on life. Really need to hear this EP, between this and the other song no wainds or whoever asked me about a few months ago, seems like they’re at a new creative peak. In an introspection or depression theme I’d give this a 10/10, but for this one just a 6/10.

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather

Quintessential frostbitten first-wave black metal. That guitar tone is amazing. 9/10.

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater

From another band I might not like it as much, but still a neat bit of Priest history with one of their meanest songs, Cheater. 7/10.

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds

Boring. 4/10.

After all my moaning and lamenting the death of this game, I ran out of time to submit for the resurgence round.

After all my moaning and lamenting the death of this game, I ran out of time to submit for the resurgence round.

I missed the opportunity as well. I was vacillating between a few songs, and I figured I had time since I was accustomed to a long wait for the submissions to come in.

Messiah Force - Decent geeter and bass tones with typical 80's riffs and 80's drums. Vocals are a mixed bag for me..a bit too Scorpions et al.
This is fairly decent metal done competently. Nice acoustic passage and a sweet lead. 6/10

Dissection - Yeah this is nice! Not heard this before...killer drum sound , cool riffs obvious BM/DM butting heads. Not too heavy on the barrage of BM so it works imo. This is cool, well produced, sounds fairly early, would be keen to hear again 7/10

Rage - Rage is one of those bands that l don't own a single thing by but everytime l hear them l tell myself l will start investing...probably the finest reason l have heard to eat my own words...this is right up my street kind of heavy/serious chops/humorous/metal...7/10

Pestilence - Never loved the vokills of Drunen but the rest of this vicious album is bliss. Everything turned to ten and is killer. The choir/keyboard just adds to the chill 10/10

Obliveon - Sounds thin coming from Pestilence but, l can hear the growing might of Obliveon churning to get under the skin, these guys have the chops and songwriting skills to compete with the best. some great thrash riffs here and obviously awesome geetar playing. Good shit 8/10

Thin Lizzy - ah see, i've played this tune in cover bands before over the years and ld do it again straight away if the dudes l play with now weren't so fucking idiotic. Great great live tune. Sykes is a monster. Not exactly on theme but when a tune sound this sweet..8/10

Antidote - Fucking awesome mid-paced thrash with speedier moments of genius, Great leads! Production is tight and in your face Yeah, like this a lot 10/10

Sorcier des Glaces – This is the sort of metal shrouded in BM that l could listen to. Almost. l can appreciate the melodic intro (vocals suck) but there is a musicianship there that is obviously talented. (Metal doesn't have to be played by talented musicians btw) the thing l think l appreciate by bands like this is that they are obviously talented but the path they choose is not one l would adopt but it's their own path so l can only diss it from my stance. and ultimately yes it sucks. 4/10

Voivod - Never been huge on Voivod and probably never will but this tune has made me rethink my stance on them as a 'cold' boring band with experimental riffs. This is ok but there's soo many bands out there doing this sort of thing (ok so not as long) but better imo. l never believed Voivod were the be-all-and-end-all of this kind of dissonant metal 6/10

Messiah - Yeah great album cover - not a great package. Recorded in an igloo, with vocals recorded down the fishing hole. not great riffs or anything else really 4/10

Judas Priest - Shite Priest is Shite. Maybe first Priest is not so good is a better reflection, but that riff man .. l cant.. pinpoint...it.....it's a sabbath backhanded riff...ironman? and then after the tape wasting solo, we get them wanting to be Zep with added harmonica! Dire Priest is Dire 5/10

Immortal - i'm trying...like...really trying to give this a go....but christ it's shite. Even when l know it goes into a 'chorus' or something it blow's.
3/10

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
You missed the Sorcier des Glaces song. Is it unavailable for you? It is for me.

Here's the full album:

The song is from 30:48 to 39:06

Pretty sure you won't like it, but everyone should rate all songs.