Themed Mixtape Game

He lowered his score for Pestilence I think. Can't see much different about his other scores.

Probably because it's a really well known album. I don't downrate things like that but I can see why people do.

I did change it because I thought on it and Pestilence is a pretty "safe" and super obvious choice, which always seems to win these games. Me downrating well known shit isnt exactly something new. I'm annoyed when I play this game and already know half the songs posted.

I'm not sure how it matters anyway, when arg has come in right at the deadline and completely submarined everything but his choice.

I've also been slightly editing the post just for fun since I saw the complaining.

Pestilence is 'safe'? wtf? it's a what...30-odd year old record? How many thousands of songs could relate to this theme in that time but that's safe? They were never a first-tier band back then. Have they ever won a game before?
Stick to your original rating mate or don't bother playing. If people aren't honest in this game it means nothing.

Messiah Force - White Night - 8
fun, head-bobbing riffs and sexy vocals

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere - 10
melodic black/death perfection

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter - 6
great riffs bad vocals

Pestilence - Suspended Animation - 6
great riffs bad vocals

Oblivion - Frosted Avowals - 5
ok

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat - 5
ok

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland - 5
ok

Sorcier des Glaces - North - 8
i usually hate atmoblack but this is epic and frostbitten

Voïvod - Fall - 2
the fucks this shit

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather - 4
sounds clunky and basic

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater - 3
wow is this priest it sucks balls

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds - 6
good but needs to be more catchy

Last edited:
I'm having pc issues where none of my browsers are working but I'm connected to the Internet, which is really weird. So I'm writing this on my iPad and so cba to write too much.

Messiah Force - White Night 8/10

This is really fucking cool. Drags a bit towards the end, though.

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere 7.5/10

I'm a big fan of The Somberlain, but this isn't one of the high points of the album imo. Picks up in the middle with some good aggressive riffing.

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter 6.5/10

This is cool, but doesn't really fit this playlist imo.

Pestilence - Suspended Animation 8.5/10
I've always felt a clinical coldness from this album due to the production, dry guitar tone and riffing style. Perhaps that's one of the reasons it's never been among my absolute favourites - I tend to prefer passion or absolute filth in my death metal. Still, awesome shit and I'm glad someone picked it. Van Drunen sounds like a fucking madman.

Obliveon - Frosted Avowals 9/10
Obviously amazing.

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat 5.5/10

Not feeling this for the theme.

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland 6.5/10

Wasn't expecting much from this but it's not bad. Could do without the outro chug.

Sorcier des Glaces - North 8.5/10
"A cold wind of grief carries our tormented souls, in a land where darkness rises, in a land where the dawn comes in black, in the north, in the kingdom of eternal frost!"
Vocalists take note, the scream at 5:20 is how you show real passion.

Voïvod - Fall 6/10
Weird and interesting but not for me.

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather 8.5/10

I workship Hymn to Abramelin, but I've actually never bothered to listen to this album. This rules. Bit more restrained than the debut but still good fun.

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater 7/10
It's amazing how much Priest improved by their second album. Still this isn't bad.

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds 8/10

Pure Holocaust is a definite highlight of the Norwegian scene, but this isn't one of the best tracks from it and it actually kinda suffers outside of the context of the album for me. Still, it's Pure fucking Holocaust.

Given how much you fellate the band, I was expecting it to be unlistenable garbage. You should be happy I thought it was decent and gave it the score I did :p

Last edited:
Given how much you fellate the band, I was expecting it to be unlistenable garbage. You should be happy I thought it was decent and gave it the score I did :p

Listen again to the full album, and again and the scores will go up, this stuff is up there with Rust In Peace and Ride the Lightning as some of the best thrash available. That's part of the point, that it's progressive without being unlistenable garbage. The instrumentation is extraordinarily tight rhythmically and actually changes keys, smoothly, unlike every Metallica album in Em. Very effective guitar solos, more variety in vocals. But I don't think you're a fan of RiP or RtL either if I remember right. The others who are have no excuse.