Themed Mixtape Game

Listen again to the full album, and again and the scores will go up, this stuff is up there with Rust In Peace and Ride the Lightning as some of the best thrash available. That's part of the point, that it's progressive without being unlistenable garbage. The instrumentation is extraordinarily tight rhythmically and actually changes keys, smoothly, unlike every Metallica album in Em. Very effective guitar solos, more variety in vocals. But I don't think you're a fan of RiP or RtL either if I remember right. The others who are have no excuse.

You cant be serious here. That album is good, but nowhere near being great and should never even be mentioned in the same breath as two of the best thrash metals albums(RiP and RtL). And tbh, that is one of the weakest songs on the album, so yeah. Sure, there are plenty of other bands that i love, but im not about to start comparing their work to two of the most perfect thrash metal masterpieces of all time. no fucking way.

"up there with Rust in Peace and Ride the Lightning"... im honestly shocked here. how many beers in are you?

@Phylactery give their album a shot, the song baroque submitted is easily one of the worst songs on that record.

Messiah Force - White Night
and here's me thinking rage would have the most transcendentally terrible lyrics here. 8/10

Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere

v good but obvious 7/10

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter

great but lazy unthematic pick sorry. 1/10

Pestilence - Suspended Animation

not too obvious IMO, pretty cool unorthodox pick for the theme actually. 8/10

Obliveon - Frosted Avowals
9/10

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat

not really metal, not really thematic, not really good. but hey it's a song that exists, you get 3 points for managing to fit that particular requirement. 3/10

Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland

those early verses don't really work for me, and the otherwise excellent leads get a little wanky at the end, but generally this is pretty awesome. 8/10

Sorcier des Glaces - North

my number 1 album of last year so duh. 9/10

Voïvod - Fall

can't wait for their new album, it's supposedly gonna be in the same vein as the EP (which continues to grow on me). i don't feel like wading into the thematic debate here, it's too good. 10/10

Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather

so good i can hardly bear it. 9/10

Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater
you think the playlist is nearly done and then THIS happens. 4/10

Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds

great but obvious. 8/10

excellent playlist on the whole thx. lazy reviews 'cause it's late but i enjoyed this, so maybe i've got the mixtape bug back?

Haha okay, doin' it today then! Wait for me!

Btw, you guys all suck. Cold Sweat is 'cold', so it is thematically correct. Not really metal? It's Thin Lizzy's only metal album.

Listen again to the full album, and again and the scores will go up, this stuff is up there with Rust In Peace and Ride the Lightning as some of the best thrash available. That's part of the point, that it's progressive without being unlistenable garbage. The instrumentation is extraordinarily tight rhythmically and actually changes keys, smoothly, unlike every Metallica album in Em. Very effective guitar solos, more variety in vocals. But I don't think you're a fan of RiP or RtL either if I remember right. The others who are have no excuse.

I'm actually a big fan of RtL and I like RiP plenty, although I find it to be inconsistent. I didn't hear that many similarities to those on the Antidote song, though.

Messiah Force - White Night 9/10
Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere 9.5/10
Rage - Don't Fear the Winter 5/10
Pestilence - Suspended Animation 10/10
Obliveon - Frosted Avowals 9/10
Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat 10/10
Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland 5/10
Sorcier des Glaces - North -- beautiful!!!! love it 10/10
Voïvod - Fall 7.5/10
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather 9/10
Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater 4.5/10
Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds 8.5/10

Last edited:
I could not resist the opportunity to subject people to Voivod's latest, so I regret that I could not have submitted this:

Fantastic song and would've stood out in the playlist, I think.

inb4 the next theme is "Solitude".

uWVrgIk.png

@Sirjack wins! Congratulations mate, is this your first win?

Pestilence - Suspended Animation 9.3 @Sirjack
Oblivion - Frosted Avowals 9.2 @Krow
Messiah Force - White Night 8.2 @RadicalThrasher
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather 8.2 @HamburgerBoy
Dissection - In the Cold Winds of Nowhere 8.1 @arg
Sorcier des Glaces - North 7.8 @Phylactery
Voïvod - Fall 7.2 @Vegard Pompey
Antidote - 3rd Time in Greenland 7.2 @Baroque
Immortal - Frozen by Icewinds 7.2 @Master_Yoda77
Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat 6.5 @EspaDa

Rage - Don't Fear the Winter 6.5 @no country for old wainds
Judas Priest - Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat/Cheater 6.0 @Elric of Melniboné

*FIXED

Last edited:
Then how did 112.5 go to 11.25? That a division by 10. I assume you've done this for all of them. So for the Messiah Force song, it was actually 99.5 total but you've put it as 9.95?

It doesn't make any difference to the results if you've done the same thing with all of them. It just not the average score.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey