Themed Mixtape Game

The best song in their discography is 3 stars, sure thing brah

I meant 4 stars. Which is clearly why i referred to the 3.5 star Black Prophecies as their weakest link. I know you're slow, but you cant be that slow. Clearly it was a typo.

and their best song? :lol:

You can definitely hear melodeath in this

You hear melody there, not "melodeath".

Last edited:
I meant 4 stars. Which is clearly why i referred to the 3.5 star Black Prophecies as their weakest link. I know you're slow, but you cant be that slow. Clearly it was a typo.

and their best song? :lol:.

Yeah cuz the typos you make on a daily basis couldn't have been saying "the weakest link" rather than "a weakest link". Learn to not operate a keyboard like an epileptic Parkinson's sufferer and maybe I'll put effort into deducing what you're attempting to say.

It's almost a reversal of thrash metal songwriting, steady rhythm guitar backing complex, choppy bass drums up front, one of the coolest things thrash has drum-wise at least.

I admit my Immolation pick was an obvious one, but I'm not aware of any song that embodies this theme more. It's the sonic equivalent of a baptism in fire. Insanely dark, foreboding and Hellish and it's one of the best death metal songs ever.

I admit my Immolation pick was an obvious one, but I'm not aware of any song that embodies this theme more. It's the sonic equivalent of a baptism in fire. Insanely dark, foreboding and Hellish and it's one of the best death metal songs ever.

I agree with those things and I feel a bit bad about downrating it knowing it was your submission, because you don't seem like one of the people who are playing to win. Oh well.

Tell me you're gonna rate this one, it's a really good playlist and there are some songs I'm curious to read your thoughts on.

I got to know for future reference, is this downrating an obvious ( ? subjective ) band/song a rule to the game? Just curious here because when I pick something I just try to pick something on theme and that I think is worthwhile or kicks ass.....regardless of how well known it is. And even then I'm not sure exactly what other people think is obvious? I've picked more obscure stuff like Witchhammer and Messiah Force to something like Demolition Hammer......which I didn't know when I picked it, but it was flagged for being obvious? Will effect how I play the game in the future if that's the case or standard. So is that the main thought ? More obscure, demo stuff = the way to play the game?

I got to know for future reference, is this downrating an obvious ( ? subjective ) band/song a rule to the game? Just curious here because when I pick something I just try to pick something on theme and that I think is worthwhile or kicks ass.....regardless of how well known it is. And even then I'm not sure exactly what other people think is obvious? I've picked more obscure stuff like Witchhammer and Messiah Force to something like Demolition Hammer......which I didn't know when I picked it, but it was flagged for being obvious? Will effect how I play the game in the future if that's the case or standard. So is that the main thought ? More obscure, demo stuff = the way to play the game?

Downrating obvious things isn't a rule, it's just a thing some users like me do to incentivize picking more obscure stuff. The way I see it, the purpose of a game like this is primarily to introduce people to new music, so picking songs that 95% of the regulars here will have heard seems counter-productive.

I'm very surprised you got criticized for submitting Demolition Hammer, that is not something I ever would've considered 'obvious' but then again I'm not exactly a thrash-head.

I agree with those things and I feel a bit bad about downrating it knowing it was your submission, because you don't seem like one of the people who are playing to win. Oh well.

Tell me you're gonna rate this one, it's a really good playlist and there are some songs I'm curious to read your thoughts on.

I was actually trying to win this round haha. I don't usually, though.

Yeah I'm going to rate. I've already listened through most of the playlist once. I really like your pick btw, as utterly retarded as it is, I kinda love it.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Not everyone does it, it's just a method some people use to promote more obscure picks. I only downrate obvious songs if they're only tangentially thematic; if someone picked, say, Judas Priest's Burnin' Up for a fire theme just because it has "Burn" in the title, I'd downrate that in addition to downrating for being off-topic,, but I won't penalize Deep Purple's Burn. If you pick demo stuff there will often be one or two players that may downrate it just because they don't like lo-fi recordings, so there's not really a guaranteed method of getting a song to win. Personally, if someone submits an obscure song that's both thematic and really good, I'll uprate it extra just for showing me something new.

As for what's obvious, that partly comes down to the tastes of the forum. Demolition Hammer, Immolation, etc certainly aren't mainstream, but they're pretty revered in online metal circles, so that's why you'll get some downrating there. Pestilence last round is probably a more popular band than either of the aforementioned, but the song was a less literal and obvious interpretation which is why I think people were more forgiving.

So it's really just a crapshoot until you've figured out the forum's collective tastes.

it's just a thing some users like me do to incentivize picking more obscure stuff.

Weren't you trying to give me shit just a few days ago when i accused you and others of doing exactly this? :lol:

the purpose of a game like this is primarily to introduce people to new music

That is one of the perks of this game, not the purpose.

Weren't you trying to give me shit just a few days ago when i accused you and others of doing exactly this? :lol:

I don't think I've ever called you out on your rating behavior in these themed mixtape games. You are probably thinking of the GMD Top 10 polls, where I called you out when you announced that you would start ranking strategically because it's what you falsely believe everyone else is doing. This is a different matter.

That is one of the perks of this game, not the purpose. The purpose is basically what the title says.

You are right that it is not the explicit purpose of the game, and maybe I am wrong to interpret it as the implicit purpose of the game. But ultimately, I rate submissions based on how much I like them for the theme and I like them less if they are stupidly obvious. Maybe you think this goes against the spirit of the game. Maybe it does. If multiple people tell me they find this objectionable, I will stop doing it.

You are right that it is not the explicit purpose of the game, and maybe I am wrong to interpret it as the implicit purpose of the game. But ultimately, I rate submissions based on how much I like them for the theme and I like them less if they are stupidly obvious. Maybe you think this goes against the spirit of the game. Maybe it does. If multiple people tell me they find this objectionable, I will stop doing it.

I've been doing it long enough. I hate to see a playlist where I already know 75% of the songs.

Reactions: CiG
giphy.gif

@Vegard Pompeyin other words ... "i did it in that other game/thread, not here". Ok, gotcha.

as long as everyone listens to the songs and rates them on what they genuinely think of said tracks. These bullshit tactics that you guys are using is not cool(im not going to say its ruining the game). Its personally not making me want to play, because i rate these tracks solely on how they sound to my ears not on how popular they are or how many times bands have been mentioned around here or what not.

Last edited: