Themed Mixtape Game

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE 6/10 the lyrics and vocals are annoying. musically it's not bad. I liked it more when they weren't singing.

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE 3/10 somewhat enjoying the blues riffs but again, awful vocals, worse than the previous track.

DEEP PURPLE - BURN 6.5/10 barely metal but i guess it's enjoyable. My problem with the band is the guitar riffs are clearly hard rock, they're too upbeat/happy and often pentatonic. The drums could be considered metal at times. And i'm not crazy about the vocalist but he beats out the previous two.

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL 3/10 lo-fi junk that some people seem to enjoy. same people that enjoy dive bars i guess. "because worse is better"?

ATHEIST - FIRE 7.5/10 good but not their best material by far

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW 7/10 average death metal, not very engaging, too long.

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES 10/10 Dark Angel to the motherfucking rescue. Saved this playlist from the shit pile.

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES 7/10 i like what they are trying to do, but the guitarist is very boring

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST 4/10 just not a fan of bruce, i like maybe 2 of his songs. personal preference.

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE 5/10 it's just boring. the pulse is way too slow for a metal song that's not doom. it's monotone. it's repetitive.

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE 8/10 overall good. could use better mixing/mastering. little sloppy at times

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL 9/10 this kicks ass

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME 10/10 this demolishes ass

Hell - Plague and Fire - 3/10 - This is pretty cool. I think its about time give this band a shot.

Ogre - Woman on Fire - 1/10 - what a fucking snoozefest. i can already tell this is going to be one of the worst song on this list

Deep Purple - Burn - 10/10 - Not a fan of Cloverdale, but there's no denying the awesomeness of this classic.

Atheist - Fire - 10/10 - sick. Technical Death Metal perfection. Best song on here as far as theme goes.

Immolation - Close to a World Below - 9.5/10 - Heavy cruhsing beast of a track that doest nothin less than pulverize your senses

Dark Angel - 10/10 - Thrash metal perfection. Nothing more to say here.

Deathammer - 3/10 - Seduced by the Flames - Didnt think i was going to enjoy this one as much as i did. I have Evil Power and Phatnom Knights and this sounds as good if nbetter than anyhting ive heard from those two. Will have to get this album

Bruce Dickinson - The Alchemist - 3/10 - Never payed much attention to his solo stuff. very good song all around.

Bathory - Enter the Eternal Fire - 2/10 - i used to like this album so much more, their debut is the only one i find myself reaching for nowadays.

Savage Grace - Into the Fire - 3/10 fuck yes, this was awesome. Need to get this album ASAP

Possessed - Burning in Hell - 3/10 - solid as fuck OSDM, not my favorite track form the album but it still slays.

Emortus - In Hatred's Flame - 10/10 Technical thrash/death perfection.

edit:
Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel - 1/10 - lol at this track being over 7 minutes long

*perfected!!

Last edited:
My problem with the band is the guitar riffs are clearly hard rock

so are you really going to say you dont hear any heavy metal riffs when listneing to some of Ritchmore's heaviest riffs? Like in any of their songs? Including their most famous one? And dozens of others if i might add. Not that all of their songs are upbeat(far from it, just showcasing that you are not even all that familiar with the band), but metal cant be upbeat? :lol: There is so much heavy metal in the Mark II lineup that its kind of funny to even read something like that. They even have some bonafide heavy metal classics with a few of their other lineups, like this one ....

no, not metal at allz bro.

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME 10/10 this demolishes ass
Lol :kickass:

Last edited:
0a56662644c637aedff308d168159e35--marvel-characters-marvel-heroes.jpg

Hell - Plague and Fyre 8.5/10
High fucking energy! This is awesome.

Ogre - Woman on Fire 5/10

It's kinda hard to really consider this metal, even compared with much of their other material this is just not that metal. I dig Ogre though.

Deep Purple - Burn 7/10
Compared to Ogre this is fucking bestial black metal.

Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel 6.5/10
This is so ridiculously rough and grubby, sounds like Iggy Pop started a metal band.

Atheist - Fire 7/10
I've never actually heard anything from Elements before, I remember people in the past telling me it sucked. This does not suck.

Immolation - Close to a World Below 7.5/10
I love the impending fucking doom in the first minute of this song, Immolation are gods.

Dark Angel - Perish in Flames 8/10
The sheer intensity and annihilation of this album is legendary. Lawnmower to the fucking face thrash metal!

Deathhammer - Seduced by the Flames 9/10
One of Deathhammer's less in-your-face slicing and dicing tunes which is cool I think. Great to hear them flirt even just a little bit with more complicated, less direct song structures. Though for these cavemen that isn't really saying much. Die!

Bruce Dickinson - The Alchemist 10/10
This is beautiful, epic, powerful, just fucking great heavy metal with that iconic voice I love.

Bathory - Enter the Eternal Fire 9/10
The greatest black metal album of all time. Little on the fucking nose for a choice but at this point I doubt anybody cares.

Savage Grace - Into the Fire 8/10
Awesome fucking album of course! Probably one of my favourite tracks on it too.

Possessed - Burning in Hell 8.5/10
Primitive fucking album but with some delightful black twists. YOU WILL NOW DIE.

Exmortus - In Hatred's Flame 7/10
Surprised at the hate this is getting. Sure, the vocalist is pure dogshit but the rest makes up for it and makes it sound like a gumbo of aggression. Pretty good.

Human-torch-fly-by.jpg

Just kidding, great playlist. :kickass:

Last edited:
HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE – metal theatrics at their best, pure anthem, 10/10

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE – I liked this more than most of the other retro-doom/stoner stuff that has been submitted before, don’t know why but it felt a little more legit, distinctive singer, pretty good grooves, and a lot of these bands have rigid drummers unfitting of the genre but this one gets it right, 7/10

DEEP PURPLE – BURN – obligatory classic, 8/10

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL – I tried getting into them years ago and couldn’t at the time, but this is working now, vocals and production are amazing, songwriting itself still a little basic but the building tension in the solo part is awesome, 8/10

ATHEIST – FIRE – there are valid reasons to not like this but “wanky” and “improvisational” are not among them except for maybe the jazz leads towards the end, overall funky yet subtle, just a few relatively basic grooves which build in a relatively linear and structured manner, but to perfect effect, if there’s one album that proves how unnecessary double-bass drumming is in metal, it’s this, 9/10

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW – great musical representation of the theme, compared to some of the other songs on the album it seems a little more rigid/repetitious in arrangement but still a very good song, 7/10

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES – weakest song on the album, kinda revisits ideas done on other tracks and the riffing and progressions are more typical thrash metal, but still really good intense stuff, 7/10

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES – these guys caught my ear with Phantom Knights with some song I can’t remember that had a legit 80s Destruction vibe, this just reminds me further than I need to give them a proper listen, lots of great riffs here too and epic vibes everywhere, that galloping section in the middle was especially badass, I guess there is still a certain emotional quality that doesn’t feel quite as legitimate as the classics but I don’t really care, 8/10

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST – I listened for about 30 seconds until I realized I didn’t even recognize this song anymore and that LastFM says I last heard the album in 2009, that’s fucked up because I know I loved this song at the time, I listened to this in the context of the album rather than the playlist since it deserved a full fresh listen from me, great song in an amazing album and a more creative pick for the theme, 9/10

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE – Manowar’s most overrated song, 3/10

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE – I’ve probably neglected Savage Grace more than any of the other classic American trad/speed bands, this was very good, 7/10

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL – one of their best, a little tighter and more ambitious than the average track but still plenty sloppy and chaotic, 8/10

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME – hot garbage, some of the shredding is entertaining though I’ll admit, 2/10

I'm not sure how someone can praise that Atheist song and yet rip hard on that Exmortus song. But then again, I'm talking about the supreme chancellor, archduke, and grand cyclops of autism here so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure how someone can praise that Atheist song and yet rip hard on that Exmortus song. But then again, I'm talking about the supreme chancellor, archduke, and grand cyclops of autism here so I shouldn't be surprised.

They're polar opposites. The Atheist song is mid-tempo, simplistic riff-wise, bluesy, and derives most of its complexity from interplay between the various parts of the rhythm section. The Exmortus song is full-speed note-flurry neoclassical lead-guitar-centric masturbation.

I'm not sure how someone can praise that Atheist song and yet rip hard on that Exmortus song

Because you're truly a moron. What the fuck do those two songs have in common outside of the fact that "technical" is used to describe both of them?

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES – weakest song on the album

VHFVT.gif

I dont have a horse in the race but fuck it.

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE
9/10.

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE
5.5/10.
A band I should like on paper (or computer screen I guess) but they just never click. I own two of their albums and never listen to them.

DEEP PURPLE - BURN
7/10.
I actually prefer Riot's cover of this to the original.

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL
6/10.
Ridiculous and kind of shitty but fun.

ATHEIST - FIRE
5/10.
Eh song from my least favorite Atheist album.

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW
8/10.
Rock solid, if a tad lazy choice

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES
8/10.

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES
9.5/10.
Great high energy riff fest and I always appreciate when we dont do the standard big bands from every fucking genre.

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST
4/10.
Yuck

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE
10/10.
Epic, Evil. Hell.

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE
8/10
. Been meaning to buy something by these guys. cool stuff.

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL
8.5/10.

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME
4/10.
Kind of junky compared to Deathhammer, Dark Angel, and Possessed in this list.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery

Which would you pick? It's still a very good song, but all the others are better.

Title track obviously doesn't need to be defended.

The Burning of Sodom is the fastest and most intense on the album.

Hunger of the Undead is sometimes a little hot-or-cold for me; it's a bit more repetitive and the riffing on its own merits isn't the best in the world, but it's got a great subtle hypnotic quality that really works when I'm in the mood.

Merciless Death is similar to Perish in Flames, but since the former was written first and since it has a more classic chorus, I give the nod to it.

Death is Certain (Life is Not) doesn't need to be defended.

Black Prophecies is perhaps a little overlong, perhaps just the right length for a galloping mid-tempo epic. Has its own place on the album though, always look forward to hearing it.

That leaves Perish in Flames as the weak link.

there are no bad tracks on the album, but leave it to you to single out one of the top 3 songs there as the weakest link.

Black Prophecies is a 3-1/2 track and the clear weak link on the album, that's almost universally agreed upon. Death is Certain is *4 stars and the rest are all near perfect tracks.

I think we did some kind of song game/thread for this album a while ago.

9.5/10....I always appreciate when we dont do the standard big bands from every fucking genre.

i love the way you vote bruh.

oh and lol @ "deathammer, dark angel and POSSESSED". That Possessed track is 100% OSDM.

Last edited:
I'M NOT SURE WHY WE'RE ALL CAPITALIZING THE BAND NAMES AND SONG TITLES BUT I SHALL PLAY ALONG

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE
What a suitably hellish intro, I can already tell this playlist is going to be a fantastic one. This song's a bit too clean-sounding and anthemic for the atmosphere it's going for but still great and a perfect start to the mixtape.
8/10

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE

This is exactly how I don't want doom to sound, and it goes on for seven minutes. Some of the guitarwork was cool so I can't hate this entirely but on the whole it was an endurance test.
3/10

DEEP PURPLE - BURN

Metal enough for me. Deep Purple would've been one of my favorite bands if only they'd ever been able to manifest their incredible potential into a single album I like from start to finish ("The Book of Taliesyn" comes close I guess, but it's also rather far removed from their signature sound) because they peak so fucking high when they want to. This is a good one, might not make a DP top 10 were I to make one but it's pretty great. I've always loved those instrumental sections that sound like proto-video game music.
8/10

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL

The only parts of the lyrics I can make out are "FIRE!", "FLAAAAAMMMESSSSS OOOOOOVVVVV HELLLLLLLLLL" and "FIRE AND STEEL!" so I definitely think this is the most sophisticated pick of the round, and I applaud the considerable intellect of whoever picked it.
10/10

ATHEIST - FIRE

Tbh this doesn't sound that improvisational to me, actually sounds pretty cohesive and logically structured for how unabashedly progressive it is. Still not exactly peak Atheist to me, but a good song and an almost comically literal take on the theme.
6/10

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW

This incinerates obviously, I'm not even a fan of this album particularly but this song is fucking amazing. It's also stupidly obvious, real stretch of the imagination there. I'm going to dock 3 points 2 points, that may be harsh but when I compiled the mixtape history a few pages back it became apparent to me that canonical picks like these win most of the time (also consider Immolation have already won this game in the past) and I think that's really boring.
7/10

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES
6/10

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES

These riffs, these vocals, holy fuck, I'm in love. I didn't think thrash made in 2012 could sound this badass. This is legitimately some of the best thrash I've ever heard in my life. This is also how you play the mixtape game properly. It would be a damn shame if this ends up losing to something obvious like one of the previous two songs.
10/10

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST

Great song but it doesn't seem to have all that much to do with fire. But then again Bruce's lyrics have often gone over my head. If someone explains I'll rate this higher because it is a pretty fantastic song.
7/10

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE

What a huge and sinister sound, perfect marriage of black, heavy and doom metal sensibilities.
8/10

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE

Mostly makes up for how archetypal it is with raw energy. Mostly.
7/10

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL

Never liked this album. Sorry.
5/10

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME

You can definitely hear melodeath in this but I don't have an aversion to that style. In fact there was an Exmortus song in a previous mixtape that I loved (something off Slave to the Sword). This one isn't doing very much for me, but the hate it's getting seems undeserved.
6/10

Last edited: