Themed Mixtape Game

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE
this is actually quite a bit more intense and fierce than i remember this album being, then again i recall the album feeling super bloated so maybe this format serves them better. i probably like this more than the demos tbh, those go too far the other way into lo-fi territory. superbly thematic too, and a modern, less obvious pick, so i'll bump it an extra point. 8/10

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE

these guitars are pure molten, perfect for the theme. love this kinda dusty, rumbly sound and it works quite nicely, even though i'm not big on groovy heavy psych jams on the whole. goes on a bit too long. 7/10

DEEP PURPLE - BURN

pretty glorious. 8/10

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL

what a sound this shit has. i was trying to think what it reminds me of and then realised that it's like satan's host doing fucking surf rock. could probably have been cut by a couple of minutes, but it's primal, hellish stuff that suits the theme perfectly. 9/10

ATHEIST - FIRE

well shit, i assumed hbb submitted the hell song but maybe not. i get nothing out of music this improvisational, regardless of genre. 5/10

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW

one of their greatest songs, an incredibly dark and chilling evocation of an apocalypse of fire. point off for being super duper obvious, but it is pretty perfect for the theme. 9/10

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES

again this fits too well for me to punish the obviousness too much. 8/10

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES

everything these guys touch is gold, great choice. 9/10

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST

obviously works better as a climax to the album (probably should've been the last song here), and it's only really partially thematic, but a mighty epic regardless. 9/10

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE

this song IS fire. kind of had to be here tbh, much as i think whoever picked is a lazy fuckhead, a charlatan and a disgrace to the board. 8/10

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE

this album's stupid fucking consistent. basically just maiden on speed. 8/10

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL

not one of my favourites on this album but those destruction-style lead flourishes will never not sound fucking awesome. and yeah too obvious etc 7/10

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME

still don't think they're much removed from children of bodom and shit like that. cool if that's your thing, it's not mine. 4/10

might actually be the best playlist so far in terms of quality, and pretty well unified around the theme. would still prefer more creativity from some of yall but i'm probably flogging a dead horse at this point.

Creative picks simply don't win very often. Look at last round, that Obliveon song was robbed. Although I'll admit, the Pestilence song was a nice take on the theme.

I didn't pick Bathory btw, but fuck you all if that's not a 10/10 masterpiece.

Reactions: Master_Yoda77
Creative picks simply don't win very often.

caring more about winning than introducing people to new music or picking something fully thematic is fucking gay though, especially as we all know exactly which bands are most popular around here - it's not like winning with one of those bands is some kind of accomplishment. if one of those bands is absolutely perfect for the theme then fair enough, but in a lot of cases they haven't been, and in most cases there's plenty of more obscure stuff that would be just as fitting.

personally, for most of this game i've actively not wanted to win because hosts weren't allowed to submit songs - i guess that's no longer an issue though.

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
I want to win a single time more because I have a theme I strongly want to do out of personal interest. That said I'm not really trying. Definitely not winning this round...

Reactions: Phylactery
Given that all the in-crowders have stopped participating in this game I haven't won in like a year and I have a really cool theme so I've been trying a bit more to just win instead of posting cool new shit.

halfway through the list, and so far the only stinker here is that horrible ogre track.

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME

still don't think they're much removed from children of bodom and shit like that

r-u-serious-meme-smiley-emoticon.jpg

Reactions: Baroque
Kind of bummed with 2 2nd place finishes in a row so I sat this one out.

Might rate later for the hell of it.

Yeah what the fuck is he talking about, at least Children of Bodom had a few leftover Stone riffs.
lol, yes im pretty sure you would know. They were probably one of your favorite bands at some point. But again, just shows how disconnected from reality some of you really are.

Kind of bummed with 2 2nd place finishes in a row so I sat this one out.

Might rate later for the hell of it.

So the only reason you're playing for is to win?

Keep projecting brah. Still waiting for evidence that your cousins introduced you to anything more than incest.