Themed Mixtape Game

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE 8/10
The intro to this song is amazing, the rest of it doesn't live up to that for me, but still pretty good and anthemic.

OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE 6/10
I actually love the sound of this, but it's overlong and monotonous. Gets better when it slows down.

DEEP PURPLE - BURN 8/10
Deep Purple is always cool.

FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL 8.5/10
Utterly fucking retarded song, but I kinda love it. The production is amazing and the way the vocalist wails "fire" is both hilarious and amazing. Totally inept, but totally fucking cool.

ATHEIST - FIRE 7/10
Maybe I should revisit Elements because I'm enjoying this one and I don't remember the album being as restrained and un-overthetop as this song. I'm not super into the last minute or so.

IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW 10/10
There isn't a song on this list that embodies the theme more than this one for me. The sonic equivalent of a baptism in fire and a descent into the fiery pits of Hell. Incredibly dark and foreboding intro and man those fucking drum rolls and blasts midway through. I love the structure of this song, how it hits its intensity climax midway through and then winds down to the conclusion. A highlight of the entire genre. Lol at this being average.

DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES 8/10
I agree with HBB that this isn't one of the best songs on the album, but it's still really good obviously. My biggest issue with Darkness Descends is that Don Doty sounds nowhere near as unhinged as he's trying to most of the time. I'd probably revere this album as much as other thrash heads with a better vocalist.

DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES 9/10
One of the only newer thrash bands that I give a shit about. Amazing vocals, amazing riffs and a fiery atmosphere.

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST 7.5/10
Old Wainds pimps this album all the time, and yeah this is pretty fucking good. Totally heartfelt and epic track. Only seems to be tangentially on theme or else I'd rate it a bit higher.

BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE 10/10
Only true poseurs wouldn't give this a 10.

SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE 8/10
Completely new to me and totally great. So much raw energy and passion. Excellent pick.

POSSESSED - BURNING IN HELL 8.5/10
People say how obvious this band is, and maybe they are for this forum, but it's ridiculous how many death metal fans are apparently unaware of them (Necrophagia and Death Strike, too). Too busy slobbering on Chuck's dick I assume.

EXMORTUS - IN HATRED'S FLAME 3/10
Overproduced and garbage anyway. Also sounds nothing like the Atheist track, wtf.

Last edited:
I deducted two points from the Bathory, it would've been a 10. Totally forgot they won once before though. Maybe I should've made it three? At least that band name isn't basically synonymous with fire (I'm aware that's not technically what immolation means).

But I know I'm inconsistent. I try not to be but it's hard to make an objective assessment of what's obvious and what isn't. Maybe I should just exclusively downrate things by bands that have already won before. That would simplify things.

I downrate things for obviousness all the time, usually only 1 point myself, which is why Bathory got a 9/10 from me. But we all should play the game how we feel is best, I just thought you were overly harsh to Immolation in comparison to Bathory is all.

Okay, I'm gonna try to articulate a rule to try and hold myself to just so I can be consistent in my downrating and not be kept up at night because I gave a song a 6/10 in a mixtape game.

[autism]
I'll deduct 1-2 points from a song I think is "obvious". This is a subjective judgment dependent on the following factors;
  • The popularity of the band
  • The popularity of the album relative to the rest of the band's discography
  • Whether that band has won this game before
  • Whether that band has been frequently featured in this game before
  • Whether the song is an inspired choice for the theme
Additionally I'll give a bonus point to any great, thematic song I'm hearing for the first time.
[/autism]

Reactions: CiG
i think that even if we dismiss the idea that the goal of the playlists is to introduce people to new music, any good game incentivizes creativity and doesn't offer a tried and tested formula for consistent victory. if everyone votes purely by how good the songs are, the people who spend the least time thinking about their choices will win 90% of the time, which seems backwards to me.

tactical downvoting

HELL - PLAGUE AND FYRE 0
OGRE - WOMAN ON FIRE 0
DEEP PURPLE - BURN 0
FLAMES OF HELL - FIRE AND STEEL 0
ATHEIST - FIRE 0
IMMOLATION - CLOSE TO A WORLD BELOW 10
DARK ANGEL - PERISH IN FLAMES 0
DEATHHAMMER - SEDUCED BY THE FLAMES 2
BRUCE DICKINSON - THE ALCHEMIST 0
BATHORY - ENTER THE ETERNAL FIRE 1
SAVAGE GRACE - INTO THE FIRE 0