Themed Mixtape Game

Tonight, tomorrow afternoon, what's the difference?

MUSICAL IRONY

Shah – Turn of the Chances
Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord)
Absurd – Dreaming of Love
Tyton – Musical Maze
Macabre – In the Army Now
While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years
Gorguts – Earthly Love
Mortification – Inflamed

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCJA0ol3AGblyfiUL-u2EP6PMNe08PWeL

Shah – Turn of the Chances 8/10 pretty familar with these guys, but not so much this album. Catchy, upbeat sounding song.

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord) 5.5/10 Not feeling it but appears to fit the theme quite well.

Absurd – Dreaming of Love 6/10 This is pretty weird. Liked it more as it went on.

Tyton – Musical Maze 7/10 This was kind of interesting although a little plain. Still, wouldn't mind hearing a little more from these guys.

Macabre – In the Army Now 7.5/10 Big fan of these guys. This is one of their more novelty songs and imo work better when listening to their album(s) as a whole. A little bit of a mind fuck everytime I listen to any song off of this album because my name is Jeff :err:

While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years 8/10 One of those bands/songs that I wouldn't normally listen to. Maybe the mood I'm in....I enjoyed it.

Gorguts – Earthly Love 8/10 Had a couple albums from these guys. Brutal, technical.....pretty awesome.

Mortification – Inflamed 9/10 Familar with some of their stuff. Killer! Good, strong way to close.

Decent playlist. Short and pretty easy to listen right through. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Last edited:
The theme isn't vague, it merely requires of its participants a higher level of abstract thinking.

i look forward to seeing how many of these are actually on theme. prediction: not many

Using the below as criteria, at least half.

(Musical irony for the purposes of this would be any song with lyrical content seemingly contradictory of the music, e.g. an epic song about something trivial, a sad song that sounds happy (bittersweetness would broadly probably work), etc).

OK I can't think of anything else and I need to go to bed. Going with MUSICAL IRONY regardless, sorry to those that hate it, but on the bright side I bet many players won't judge too harshly this round. And to reiterate the definition:

Other examples to maybe make things easier are

*Serious-sounding songs that are actually absurd
*Sci-fi-themed songs that sound primitive
*Ugly-sounding songs describing something beautiful
*Slow songs about life moving too quickly
Etcetc, if you can think of any band you enjoy and think of a song they have that makes you think "Huh, what a weird subject/song for them", then it might qualify, really shouldn't be that hard of a theme imo

Shah – Turn of the Chances 7/10

Kvlt as fuck, typical Phylacterly/ButtBoy pick but this shit is actually pretty cool. Not sure what this has to do with musical irony. I should probably downrate this 3 points but that's stupid and I don't care enough. Good stuff.

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord) 7/10

Fitting, and definitely at the point where DSO was still cool. This kind of reminds me that I should probably listen to SMRC again since it's been at least half a decade.

Absurd – Dreaming of Love 8/10

Hilariously sloppy and fucking retarded while shockingly beautiful. Man, Absurd just fucking rules.

Tyton – Musical Maze 9/10

Ok, this is fucking awesome. Stupid simple Omen-esque riffs with a touch of Medieval Steel and a song about discovering bards or some shit? I'm fucking sold.

Macabre – In the Army Now 5/10

Yeah, older Macabre is way better. They got too fucking goofy for their own good. Definitely on theme, but christmas music blended with songs about serial killers just doesn't do anything for me. The novelty of it just wears off fast.

While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years 8/10

Fuck man, I love While Heaven Wept. Again, how is this on theme for being ironic? I don't care though, this rules.

Gorguts – Earthly Love 6.5/10

Man, this is really taking me back to 2008. Back then, this was basically the pinnacle of death metal for me. I struggle to care about it these days, but this song has that really cool slowed staccato part. I have no idea if this is on theme though.

Mortification – Inflamed 6/10

Is the irony here that this is a Christian-themed death metal band? Eh, whatever. This is death metal.

Reactions: CiG
giphy.gif

Shah - Turn of the Chances 7.5/10

I have no idea how this is supposed to be thematic. Lyrics didn't help. Whatever, musically this rules.

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord) 8/10

This was awesome, like a small journey. "Thematic." ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Absurd - Dreaming of Love 8/10

This was a great rendition of the Mel Gibson answering machine recordings.

Tyton - Musical Maze 7.5/10

Cool, simplistic, galloping heavy metal. Doesn't sound much like 1987.

Macabre - In the Army Now 6.5/10

Slough Feg once used this same 'ants go marching one by one' rhythm and now it's all I can think about when I hear it. Macabre are goofy and cool.

While Heaven Wept - The Drowning Years 8/10

Same as Yoda, I don't get how this is thematic, but I'm not being too hard on people for this theme.
Anyway I too love While Heaven Wept, no metal band has ever compressed every sad scene from every anime ever into a band so perfectly.

Gorguts - Earthly Love 9/10

Really hilarious hearing this whirlwind of death metal after While Heaven Wept. Stark contrast really puts its heaviness in a new light.

Obscura is my favourite Gorguts record. :D

Mortification - Inflamed 7/10

SCROLOLS OF THE MEGILLOL!

I kid, I kid.
I like me some Mortification.

I'm ironically not analyzing the tracks to see whether they're ironic. Could the irony of the ones that don't seem ironic be that they're not ironic in an irony playlist? Hmmmm. Maybe Alanis knows.

Shah – Turn of the Chances

Pretty impressive Megadeth worship. 8/10

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord)
Oh yay and hurrah, black metal. 5/10

Absurd – Dreaming of Love

Why. 1/10

Tyton – Musical Maze
Really boring 4/10

Macabre – In the Army Now

I hate novelty shit. At least it was short. 3/10

While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years

Promising start, but then gayness abounds 6/10

Gorguts – Earthly Love

Fucking genius. This has just the right amount of everything. Brutality, musicality, great chorus and incredible middle section. 10/10

Mortification – Inflamed

Always hated this band. Steve Mullethead sounds like such a knob trying to do scary vocals 4/10