Themed Mixtape Game

i wait as often but i don't outright fail to rate as often!

that said, i probably won't do this one unless it's still open next week as i'm gonna be on vacation in budapest the next few days

I'll try and do this over the weekend but if I've not done it by Sunday night I probably won't be doing it. It's the start of a new school year so I've got so much work to do!

I've given the tracks I'm unfamiliar with a preliminary listen and have an idea for my ratings.

I'll wait for whichever one of you rates first since you are basically the same person

I'll wait for whichever one of you rates first since you are basically the same person

While we agree on a lot of things, our ratings aren't always that similar. He probably doesn't like the Torchure song as much as I do from this list. But then maybe he does, I can't seem to fully figure out his taste in death metal.

Okay, I didn't manage :'(

MC6BuZN.gif

Reactions: CiG
Shining - Neka morgondagen 10/10
Burial - Abhorrence Within 6/10
Aftermath - Being 7/10
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch 7/10
The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere 9/10
Sadus - Throwing Away the Day 5/10
Torchure - Resort to Mortality 6/10
Moral Decay - This God 8/10
Type O Negative - Anesthesia 8/10
Merciless - Dying World 5/10
Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre 7.5/10

Shining - Neka morgondagen 6/10
Not bad, but nothing I really enjoyed either. More interesting than anything else I've heard by the band.

Burial - Abhorrence Within 7.5/10

Pretty cool OSDM. Does sound a lot like a Death but with a superior vocalist.

Aftermath - Being 7/10

Not huge on the vocalist, but as others have said the melodic middle section is really quite good and then ending isn't too shabby.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch 7.5/10

Not peak Slough Feg, but still pretty good stuff.

The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere 10/10

A candidate for my favourite song of all time. I've been obsessed with this track for years. Mystical and otherworldly in a way that music rarely is. More hopeless and pessimistic than any 'suicidal' black metal I've heard. Had to laugh at HBB thinking this is disjointed.

Sadus - Throwing Away the Day 7.5/10

Not Sadus' best, but still pretty good.

Torchure - Resort to Mortality 9/10

Haven't listened to this album in years, but yeah this fucking rules. Sick and twisted vocals and a great atmosphere. One of the most on point picks for this theme.

Moral Decay - This God 7/10

Very mixed feelings on this song. The vocals are not for me at all and I don't like some of the sections. But then other parts of the song are quite cool. It's certainly interesting and quite unique which is why I'm not giving it a lower rating.

Type O Negative - Anesthesia 5/5/10

I don't hate this - it's okay as background music but I've never been a fan of this band.

Merciless - Dying World 8.5/10

Love this album.

Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre

Video unavailable for me. Can only find live versions on YouTube.

Last edited:
Shining - Neka morgondagen 10/10
Burial - Abhorrence Within 6/10
Aftermath - Being 7/10
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch 7/10
The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere 9/10
Sadus - Throwing Away the Day 5/10
Torchure - Resort to Mortality 6/10
Moral Decay - This God 8/10
Type O Negative - Anesthesia 8/10
Merciless - Dying World 5/10
Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre 7.5/10

Incredible in-depth analysis of each track as always

And the winner is... @HamburgerBoy with Moral Decay - This God!

This is quite an extraordinary victory for HBB. Not only did he win with a song from an obscure demo, he did so with an outstanding average score of 9.00! And underproduced songs don't usually do well in this game.

1. @HamburgerBoy with Moral Decay - This God: 9.00
  2. @Slayed Necros with Merciless - Dying World: 8.25
  3. @Phylactery with The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere: 7.56
  4. @Satanstoenail with Sadus - Throwing Away the Day: 7.50
  5. @CASSETTEISGOD with The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch: 7.44
  6. @RadicalThrasher with Aftermath - Being: 7.44
  7. @no country for old wainds with Torchure - Resort to Mortality: 7.44
  8. @EspaDa with Shining - Neka morgondagen: 7.31
  9. @Sirjack with Burial - Abhorrence Within: 7.19
  10. @Serjeant Grumbles with Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre: 6.79
  11. @arg with Type O Negative - Anesthesia: 6.69

While [me and no country] agree on a lot of things, our ratings aren't always that similar. He probably doesn't like the Torchure song as much as I do from this list.

The irony.

This round probably had one of the tightest distributions as well, the arg pick just barely below the second lowest.

I'll have my theme in a bit (working right now). I'm considering going back on my earlier desire to make this a 'reward' theme in contrast to 'punishment'. I'm now thinking about musical irony as a theme since some people judge songs not according to just lyrics but also how they work full-picture with the music. That might be too abstract and difficult though, people tell me if you hate it.

(Musical irony for the purposes of this would be any song with lyrical content seemingly contradictory of the music, e.g. an epic song about something trivial, a sad song that sounds happy (bittersweetness would broadly probably work), etc).

EDIT: And I'm glad people liked the Moral Decay song, I was expecting it to do better than some of the other demo stuff I've submitted but not that well. The whole demo is pretty awesome, though that particular song is the highlight imo.

Musical irony > Reward imo. I'm not sure the latter would be a good theme at all. It's abstract but also oddly specific and I can't think of much that fits off the top of my head.