Themed Mixtape Game

Come on @HamburgerBoy give us a good theme to work with

This round probably had one of the tightest distributions as well, the arg pick just barely below the second lowest.

I'll have my theme in a bit (working right now). I'm considering going back on my earlier desire to make this a 'reward' theme in contrast to 'punishment'. I'm now thinking about musical irony as a theme since some people judge songs not according to just lyrics but also how they work full-picture with the music. That might be too abstract and difficult though, people tell me if you hate it.

(Musical irony for the purposes of this would be any song with lyrical content seemingly contradictory of the music, e.g. an epic song about something trivial, a sad song that sounds happy (bittersweetness would broadly probably work), etc).

source.gif

Musical irony > Reward imo. I'm not sure the latter would be a good theme at all. It's abstract but also oddly specific and I can't think of much that fits off the top of my head.

Technically, "reinforcement" would be the more accurate description, I should have said that instead. It would be the other side of operant conditioning. Anything that concerns a person doing something, and then as a result some other action is taken to incentivize the person doing it again, would count.

e.g. ur favourite song on the black album

I mostly love My Friend of Misery for the instrumental bridge tbh, but a lot of post-80s Metallica would probably work actually

I think "Musical Irony" is a bit too difficult considering we are limited to metal. Most metal bands, at least the ones I give a shit about, don't stray too far from their original sound.

OK I can't think of anything else and I need to go to bed. Going with MUSICAL IRONY regardless, sorry to those that hate it, but on the bright side I bet many players won't judge too harshly this round. And to reiterate the definition:

Musical irony for the purposes of this would be any song with lyrical content seemingly contradictory of the music, e.g. an epic song about something trivial, a sad song that sounds happy (bittersweetness would broadly probably work), etc.

Other examples to maybe make things easier are

*Serious-sounding songs that are actually absurd
*Sci-fi-themed songs that sound primitive
*Ugly-sounding songs describing something beautiful
*Slow songs about life moving too quickly
Etcetc, if you can think of any band you enjoy and think of a song they have that makes you think "Huh, what a weird subject/song for them", then it might qualify, really shouldn't be that hard of a theme imo

EDIT: But I will add a caveat that ironic covers aren't allowed (e.g. death metal Britney Spears), and I'm not looking for joke songs like those from Anal Cunt's Tunnel of Love, since the irony is in the band performing and not internal to the song.

Last edited:
I tried finding an image of three men on their knees with a dominatrix standing over them but couldn't find anything suitable