Themed Mixtape Game

If someone could tag me in the next one I want to get back in and would mentally high five you.

my keyboard is broken

shah - not my rock or roll girlfriend 3/10

deathspell omega - shitty black crap with way too much bad drums and tiny penises 2/10

absurd - garage band demo 4/10

tyton - decent pompy metal....not great 6/10

macabre - killer tone throughout, wonderfully executed especially the geetars. the drums also rule. probably ironic 9/10

while heaven wept - more pomp with more class.. 7/10

gorguts - l have a love hate thing with gorguts. this release blew my head off at first, then l got bored. they're a fascinating band but l don't listen to them too much 7/10

mortification - l always cringe at the geetar at 1;19. the album's great tho 7/10

Shah - Turn of the Chances

This is cool. Quite different to Beware which is all I'd previously heard by Shah. 8/10

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord)

Glorious song, one of the peaks of the entire album. 9/10

Absurd - Dreaming of Love

I forget, is this one of the In Ketten songs recorded in prison? Classic Absurd, anyway. Passionate ineptitude. 8/10

Tyton - Musical Maze

Servicable heavy metal. Extra point for being on theme, I guess. 7/10

Macabre - In the Army Now

I've never heard a single Macabre song that I've actually liked. This is no exception. 3/10

While Heaven Wept - The Drowning Years

Never could get into this band - too saccharine and wimpy and I don't like the vocalist at all. Decent melodic section near the end, though. 5/10

Gorguts - Earthly Love

The chaotic, twisting death metal rules but I'm not a big fan of the minute of bullshit in between. 7/10

Mortification - Inflamed

Not much to get excited over here. I've always found Mortification bland and boring. 5/10

Well, this playlist was even shorter than I thought. What the fuck would I need 48 hours for?

Don't see how this is thematic, but I guess I'm just gonna not give a shit this round like everyone else. OK thrash.
6/10

Deathspell Omega - Jubilate Deo (O Be Joyful in the Lord)

Missed these guys in the pessimism mixtape. Not sure how this is ironic other than the title.
6/10

Actually ironic, and pretty good.
8/10

Tyton - Musical Maze

Bit boring.
5/10

Not big on novelty music.
4/10

I picked this. I'll explain my reasoning since some people think it's off-theme. I always found the saccharine sound an odd fit for a song about alcoholism (though it's hardly unique in the WHW discography in doing that contrast). Even though the melodies are melancholic, I can't help but find it oddly joyful, especially towards the end. It's the musical equivalent of the catharsis that comes at the end of crying. Maybe not the best song for this theme, but the most meaningful pick I could come up with. Downrate it if you wish, it's not like I need another win.
9/10

Gorguts - Earthly Love

This style of metal is unpalatable to me. I guess that's the point but I don't really want to listen to this. It's at least a bit interesting.
5/10

Mortification - Inflamed

Metal-Archives has two Mortifications; one is listed as death/thrash and one as thrash/death. Give me a minute while I have a think and figure out which of the two this is.
Solid OSDM, probably couldn't get through a full album of this but in a 3-minute burst it's quite enjoyable. The long blast beat section doesn't really work for me.
7/10

Entirely too tame.
5/10

A great song from an almost perfect record.
8/10

Gritty as all hell. Absurd have remained in steady rotation since I first heard them.
9/10

Tyton - Musical Maze

I don't how many times this song can be made
3/10

MMMM..... this is reeeeeeallllly bad
1/10

It's competent musically, but the vocals destroy the whole thing imo. A little melodramatic and overblown especially given the subject matter.
4/10

Gorguts - Earthly Love

I totally buy in to Obscura in general. Disjointed in the best way possible.
8/10

Mortification - Inflamed

Boring and I fail to see the irony.
3/10

8/10

8.5/10

7/10

Tyton - Musical Maze

5.5/10

3/10

2/10

Gorguts - Earthly Love

10/10

Mortification - Inflamed

7.5/10

Last edited:
Just waiting on @arg now, but since non-submitters are rating we can wait a little past that if others want to get in. Otherwise I'll probably end this tomorrow evening.

Reactions: CiG
Shah – Turn of the Chances - 6 not bad
Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord) - 4 too croaky, weird melody
Absurd – Dreaming of Love - 2 yech
Tyton – Musical Maze - 5 k
Macabre – In the Army Now - 3 nah
While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years - 9 beautiful sadness
Gorguts – Earthly Love - 5 too much cling clang wing wang sounds
Mortification – Inflamed - 10 love god or die motherfuckers

Rate for fun. Dont care a whole lot about on-topicness for this one because the theme is fucking lame.

5/10

9/10

8.5/10

Tyton - Musical Maze

7/10

4/10 Would have much preferred Jeffrey Dahmer and the Chocolate Factory

9/10

Gorguts - Earthly Love

5/10

Mortification - Inflamed

6/10.

Reactions: CiG
Shah – Turn of the Chances
8/10

Deathspell Omega - Jvbilate Deo (O Be Joyfvl in the Lord)
9/10

Absurd – Dreaming of Love
6/10

Tyton – Musical Maze
7/10

Macabre – In the Army Now
7/10

While Heaven Wept – The Drowning Years
8.5/10

Gorguts – Earthly Love
8/10

Mortification – Inflamed