Themed Mixtape Game

DELUSION PLAYLIST

1425314635.gif

The Chasm - Eternal Cycle of Delusion
Eulogy - Consecration of Fools
The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia
(The youtube is mistitled, but I'm informed it's the correct song)
Deceased - Morbid Shape in Black
Addictive - Echoes Of The Mind
Fates Warning - The Arena
Exmortus - Metal Is King
Aborym - III
Thin Lizzy - Waiting For An Alibi
Despair - Delusion
Atrox - Mental Nomads
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Crimson Glory - Lost Reflection

Oh man, that playlist looks awesome. Did Phylactery pick The Chasm again? What a twist.

Nope! Didn't submit a song. I thought it might be you as you seem to like that album more than most other The Chasm fans. It's actually one of my least liked songs of theirs. I don't even remember what it sounds like from memory, save for the opening few seconds.

Nope! Didn't submit a song. I thought it might be you as you seem to like that album more than most other The Chasm fans. It's actually one of my least liked songs of theirs. I don't even remember what it sounds like from memory, save for the opening few seconds.

Yeah, I love that album and the last three songs on it especially. I didn't pick this song although it was the first thing I thought of - I looked at the lyrics and they didn't seem to relate that strongly to the theme despite having 'delusion' in the title, so I picked something else. Still glad it made the list though.

Underrated by The Chasm's standards. Fucking love the riff that appears at 4:00 and continues to repeat throughout the next minute. "Are we all dead...?" 9/10

I don't think I've ever noticed just how similar parts of this sound to Brutality's Screams of Anguish, especially the section beginning at 0:15. Killer stuff. 8/10

The Krixhjalters - Mulling over Anaesthesia

Actually annoying at first, although the ending section wasn't bad and a couple of the riffs didn't suck. Sorry Pompey. 5/10

I'm embarrassed that I own a later Deceased album and not this one. This rules hard. Love the production, great use of a sample, total madness. 9/10

Addictive - Echoes of the Mind

Never heard of these guys before. Not particularly impressed. The leads are great though. 6/10

I never expected to like post-Arch Fates Warning as much as I do. Granted, I only have this and No Exit but I love both. So good that I listened twice. 9/10

Exmortus - Metal is King

I get it, the delusion is in the title. 4/10

Aborym - III

I always knew I'd hate this band. My apprehension was justified. 2/10

Thin Lizzy - Waiting For an Alibi

It's not even trying to be metal. I like Thin Lizzy a lot and this is a great song, but get the fuck out of here. 1/10

Despair - Delusion

Thrash that doesn't really thrash. Slightly more interesting than the Addictive song. 6.5/10

Atrox - Mental Nomads

Nothing but regret at this stage. 2/10

I'm glad the guy that produced this had no idea what he was doing - it resulted in one of the weirdest death metal production jobs ever. People understandably complain about the snare but I wouldn't change a thing. Totally mesmerizing stuff. An all time favourite. 10/10

Good pick for the theme, but I've never liked this a whole lot. Seems odd to close an epic, soaring USPM masterpiece with a mostly non-metal ballad. 6/10

Last edited:
The Chasm - Eternal Cycle of Delusion 7/10 I recall these guys from an earlier game and think I remember liking that song better. Anyways this is really cool, I can dig it but not something I'd probably listen to outside of this game.

Eulogy - Consecration of Fools 9/10 Killer! Too bad these guys never did much besides this EP.

The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia 7/10 Cool song

Deceased - Morbid Shape in Black 8/10 Big fan of Luck of the Corpse, I actually own this album but never listened to it much.

Addictive - Echoes Of The Mind 8/10 Really like the way the bass thunders along here. Some pretty good riffs and really dug the leads. Very cool.

Fates Warning - The Arena 9/10 Should listen to these guys more often. Awesome!

Exmortus - Metal Is King 6.5/10 Just like with the chasm I remember hearing these guys before in this game and remember liking them better.

Aborym - III 2/10 can't get into this at all

Thin Lizzy - Waiting For An Alibi 7/10

Despair - Delusion 7.5/10
Totally dig these guys, but I think their first album is way better. Still pretty awesome track.

Atrox - Mental Nomads 5/10 middle of the road. Didn't hate it, didn't like it. Just not my thing.

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation 6.5/10 This is ok, kept my attention

Crimson Glory - Lost Reflection 4/10 Not the best way to end things.

the melodic parts in the middle of this are some of the most instantly gratifying of the chasm's careers, but the more chuggy or atmospheric moments aren't among their best and overall it's a little riff salady like a lot of later chasm. it's also kind of a lazy pick given it's hard to pinpoint how it's thematic beyond the title and we've had half a dozen chasm submissions at this point. 7/10

whoa, really like this. the dark unstable vibe and a few of those leads remind me of THE RED IN THE SKY IS OURS. i don't really get anything out of that overly convoluted slow bridge part they do every so often, that's the only nitpick. 9/10

The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia

reminds me of a whole bunch of bands i'm a fan of: voivod and anacrusis and shah and even wipers. amazing. 10/10

i increasingly consider this one of the best thrash albums ever. it's definitely messy but the more i listen to it the more it makes an unhinged kind of sense, and it's just so fucking weird, psychological and vivid. 9/10

5/10

8/10

Exmortus - Metal Is King

give it up guys, baroque won't rest until we pretend to like this band. 10/10

Aborym - III

was expecting this to be more theatrical, but the use of synths here is actually pretty cool. 6/10

one of the better lizzy songs to be submitted, but it's not metal and i don't even get how it's thematic either lol 3/10

Despair - Delusion

hbb alert 7/10

Atrox - Mental Nomads

i like the uptempo riffy parts here, but the vocals seem more attention-seeking than organic and the softer/slower parts are largely lame. and god, it meanders on forever. 4/10

how a bunch of dudes in their mid-teens came up with one of the most unique metal albums ever off the bat i don't know, but the genre is richer for it. inb4 TB (validly) calls it 'artyfarty' lol 9/10

i think it's a perfect conclusion to an album that contains tinges of desperation and insanity throughout. midnight is just about the only metal vocalist who could sell this shit though. the climax could be better and longer is all. 9/10

any playlist where the chasm is in the bottom half of my ratings has to be awesome.

Holy shit, a Chasm song with riffs. This was really strong all the way through, very thrashy rhythmic basis but with their more trademark ringing atmospheric guitars interjected at all the right moments. A lot tighter than most of the other stuff I’ve heard. That break at 5:10 or so was excellent. Makes me wonder why I don’t see more people drawing comparisons between them and Vektor. 9/10.

Pretty strong, intense engaging stuff, manages a driving vibe even in the faster sections and the drummer does a good job keeping things groovy and varied. It was that solo section that pushed it beyond just good. 7.5/10.

The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia (The youtube is mistitled, but I'm informed it's the correct song)

Haven’t listened to this album in for fucking ever, despite their following album under Omnitron being an almost-favorite of mine. Remembered this being pretty inconsistent, too silly, and not as cleverly arranged as Omnitron’s. This actually sounds pretty good right now, the weepy punk/emo melodies/chorus work well and there’s a high riff-count. That last minute satisfies a hi-hat fetish I have. 8/10.

This is the Deceased album I’ve seen the cover art of most frequently, but I don’t think I ever listened to it. That intro was amazing, when the verses first got started they seemed a little straight-forward but there were multiple interesting parts after that. The drumming is fucking awesome here, love the tribal vibes popping up. Guitarwork is ugly in a great way, I don’t like their Maiden-y stuff as much but this sounds psychotic, almost some Release From Agony-era Destruction vibes. Need to hear this album. 8.5/10.

Hated their first album from what little I remember of it, Anthrax-y iirc, never listened to this one in full. This is pretty tight, very strong rhythm section and a little bit melodic. Vocalist is easily the weak point and it’s not anything special overall, but pretty decent still. Oh wait, this is their first album, I just know it by a different album cover. Maybe I should give it another chance. 6/10.

Always one of my faves on this album. One of the more old-school-styled songs of their Alder albums, piercing ball-straining vox throughout and wonderful melodic riffing. 9/10.

Exmortus - Metal Is King

This band is really overrated in a lot of ways but this is still a good retro power metal song. The inclusion in this theme is weird though and I think the delusion is that Baroque wasn’t actually the one that submitted it. Too meta for me. 5/10, subtracted two points for the theme.

Aborym – III

What the fuck, I was expecting this to be a stain on the playlist but now I think this is going to be one without a single bad song. Maybe I had them confused with Abigor, I don’t know. I wish it kept that noise/electronic/whatever vibe from the intro at 100% the entire song, but this was still pretty cool. Tons of riffs and over before I knew it. Figures that it takes an Italian to make a prefixed black metal song that’s actually really good. 8/10.

Not very metal but whatever, the chorus is poppy at least and the weak point of the song, but I don’t understand complaints that this isn’t lyrically on-theme. Shifty music right in line with some gutter punk delusional that he’ll be able to finally strike a big win and pay back his debts. Gorham and Moore, what a fucking duo. 8/10.

Despair – Delusion

The album has more interesting songs than this one, but still a good demonstration of their own brand of melodic thrash. 7/10.

Atrox - Mental Nomads

This and Orgasm are their albums I’ve given the most attention, not something I’m often in the mood for but there’s a lot going for it when I am. Even though I don’t remember this song explicitly, I get the impression that this is one of their better ones, not the pure syncopated proto-djent chugfest some of their stuff is but a bit more dissonant and dense. Good sense of growing tension, last minute was excellent and climactic. Obviously the vocals are insane as always and the defining feature overall. 7.5/10.

Just listened to this album a couple days ago when someone compared a song to the Smashing Pumpkins (which I could totally hear after the fact). Overall I’m not that hot on this album but it has a few great songs, and this is one of them. The album is best when it’s less constrained and avoiding typical metal rhythms. Something about that eighth-note-droning black metal-ish riff is really surreal and uncomfortable in a good way, makes me think of those YouTube videos of floppy drive actuators playing metal or something. 8/10.

One of the most chilling vocal performances in metal’s history, and love the creepy Alice Cooper-esque inner-horror vibes. 10/10.

Fantastic fucking playlist dudes.