Themed Mixtape Game

Shining - Neka morgondagen
Huge sound. Got a bit euro-rock melodic in bits though 7.5/10

Burial - Abhorrence Within

Solid death metal goodness. Chunky end section ruled. 8/10

Aftermath - Being

I was put off by the vocals and awkward funk riff in the verses initially but this is fucking great. Some crazy sections in here. Need to check out more of these guys. 9/10

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch

As far as trad goes, this rules. Still not really for me, but I can appreciate it. 7/10

The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere

Didn't like this as much as the other Chasm stuff I've heard in this game. Too much black metal in here. 5/10

Sadus - Throwing Away the Day

Best song on A Vision of Misery. Super catchy chorus, and I love how they double-time it the second time around. I agree that the production is nowhere near as good as on Swallowed in Black, way too dry and compressed. Great song though 8/10

Torchure - Resort to Mortality

Fucking epic and heavy as fuck. 8/10

Moral Decay - This God

Super catchy, super ambitious, super interesting. Melodic without being cheese-ridden. Incredible for a demo. I wonder what happened to these guys, they should have been huge. 10/10

Type O Negative - Anesthesia

I never got into this band. It's too vampire movie soundtrack dramatic for me. 4/10

Merciless - Dying World

Cool death thrash, tasty riffs, the production lets it down a bit though, vocals too loud and the wettest reverby snare I've ever heard. 7.5/10

Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre

Quite liking this. Good vocals and huge atmosphere. 8/10

Fucking great list. Much optimism.

Shining - Neka morgondagen

Wait, this is what Shining sounds like? Groovy Sabbathy riffs and OOH grunting vocals and long bluesy guitar solos with merely some tremolo-picked black metal texture? I swear I’ve listened to this band before but maybe not. This was really good. I love how they take the black metal-y bits in the middle and bring back the doom this time with added menace by the last third. 8/10.

Burial - Abhorrence Within

These guys were a newer discovery for me from RYM, but a pretty big letdown. Very derivative of what Death had done up to this point, although I think this was one of the better songs. Maybe it’s just more tolerable one song at a time. 4/10.

Aftermath – Being

This is a band I’ve struggled with forever. I don’t like the vocalist at all and occasionally they just feel goofy, but I can’t deny some sweet Mental Vortex/Prongisms in those atmospheric sections. This song has both. 5/10.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch

Good Slough Feg, not much more. 6/10.

The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere

I like the dissonant faster black metal parts around five minutes in, some harmony lines elsewhere that were nice but overall a good example of what I don’t like about the Chasm, too disjointed put together and many of the individual ingredients are still weak. 4/10.

Sadus - Throwing Away the Day

Kind of a silly exterior but I’m realizing that these riffs build off of each other in a way I hadn’t appreciated before, topsy-turvy stuff, great solo too. 7.5/10.

Torchure - Resort to Mortality

Eh, way too long, didn’t really build enough to justify its length, and the keyboard/spoken part was lame. The weepier kinda medieval sounding doomy riffs were cool though, I wish they went further with that. 4/10.

Moral Decay - This God

Along with Anacrusis’ Reason album, emo thrash at its best. Super passionate and raw vocals, ambitious songwriting but still able to bring hooks, a shame the band never went further. That melodic thrash break 4 minutes in is one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard in the genre. Maybe the neoclassical solo goes a little too far, otherwise just about perfect. 9.5/10.

Type O Negative – Anesthesia

The intro put me off but the rest was a pleasant nostalgia shot, not for the song itself but just the general angsty early 2000s goth vibes that were so inescapable on the forums I frequented back in those days. 7/10.

Merciless - Dying World

Love those lofty Conan-esque verses, one of the slower and maybe simpler songs on the album, kinda the album’s Black Prophecies, but done with style. 8/10.

Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre

Started well enough but the death metal vocal parts hurt it and got too sappy by the end. 15 minutes was way too long. 4/10.

Good playlist, I had the lowest expectations for Shining and TON but ended up enjoying those some of the most.

The ratings/comments for that Shining song have surprised me, I mean even Satanstoenail likes it. It was nothing special on first list but some parts did stand out more than others. More interesting than anything else I've heard by Shining either way.

The mediocre/low ratings for The Chasm track upset me. Clearly the most arcane, mystical and otherworldly thing here. I guess some people just can't appreciate superior song writing :p.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master_Yoda77
Shining is a great band. Often overlooked because their founder is a psychopath diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Halmstad album is a masterpiece though.

and therefore likely to make a band overrated, not overlooked. especially with black metal tards lol

Overrated = overlooked = autistic.

There's more than one kind of preference in the world. Do you give every radio bro metal band a fair chance and thorough listen before dismissing them, or do you use a filter to immediately ignore bands that use MTV airtime, large marketing campaigns, etc?

If I saw a band plastered on billboards, I would immediately assume they're not worth my time. Similar thing of artists famous for their musical illness. Very few worthwhile artists that killed themselves.