Themed Mixtape Game

Alrighty. I hope I'm not killing this game so soon after its resuscitation by picking a too difficult theme, but there is one I've really wanted to do for a while. I can think of several songs that fit off the top of my head so I think it should be doable. Now, how to phrase this one...

The theme is (philosophical) PESSIMISM. To elaborate, I'm looking for songs that portray this mortal life or this world we inhabit in strongly negative terms. Songs that portray existence as absurd, life as unnecessary, and death as a relief, etc.

Not sure about that, just not sure what I want to submit. Doom metal doesn't do well here anyways. I could throw in a Vitus jam since it's been a hot minute since we had one but I know the autismo crew is going to give it a 2/10 so why bother?

Getting close to a full playlist. @Vilden do you want in on this? Noticed you missed out on the last game, figure you might have something for this one.

I've got too much at work this time around, so I'll have too pass. Thanks for the heads up though! Got a pretty good pick though. :)

Alright. I'm just gonna wrap this up now since we've got a pretty long mixtape.

pj6t0dk2mo2z.jpg

PESSIMISM

Shining - Neka morgondagen
Burial - Abhorrence Within
Aftermath - Being
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch
The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere
Sadus - Throwing Away the Day
Torchure - Resort to Mortality
Moral Decay - This God
Type O Negative - Anesthesia
Merciless - Dying World
Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre

Shining - Neka morgondagen 4/10 Decent solo somewhere in there, thats about all I got from this

Burial - Abhorrence Within 9/10 oldschool dm that is simplistic and to the point. Good stuff!

Aftermath - Being 10/10 great song, awesome dream like progressive break in the middle with some good solos. Very overlooked band.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch 7.5/10 not too familiar with these guys, not bad. Will check out more of their stuff

The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere 8/10 I see these guys mentioned a lot around here. Very cool, need to check out more of their stuff

Sadus - Throwing Away the Day 10/10 Classic!

Torchure - Resort to Mortality 8.5/10 Really dig this! But fuck......runs really long

Moral Decay - This God 10/10 Not sure if I've heard these guys before, sounds familiar, or reminds me of something? Totally dig this. 9 minutes just flew by. Biggest surprise on the list, actually listened to this twice

Type O Negative - Anesthesia 7/10 Was a big Carnivore fan but honestly never paid this band any attention. Not something I would normally listen to, but still enjoyed it. Need to check out more of their stuff.

Merciless - Dying World 9/10 Awesome!

Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre 5.5/10 Not for me. Not terrible but way too long.

Overall really enjoyed this one. A few new things to check out.

quote-the-only-ism-that-has-justified-itself-is-pessimism-george-orwell-308910.jpg

Shining - Neka Morgondagen 9.5/10
What a journey! Sound-wise schizophrenic in nature even though the lyrics seem to be more about the pessimistic nature of an anti-afterlife philosophy. This really blew me away, I've not ever heard much by Shining but I think I need to specifically track this album down.

Burial - Abhorrence Within 7/10
Relative to Shining, this came across as very boring and bland. Lifeless even, probably due to the lighter, therefore underwhelming production. Still, this is obviously quality death metal, Shining simply overwhelmed my senses.

Aftermath - Being 7.5/10
Tickles my Voïvodian fancy more than just a little bit.
I agree with RadicalThrasher, I also liked the melancholic middle section and the way it built up to the schizoid-thrash end section.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - 20th Century Wretch 8/10
As odd as they are, Mike Scalzi's vocals are so pleasurable to my senses.
I truly love this band, however The Feg are a bit obvious on this site but at least this is from their debut album which is actually very underrated.

The Chasm - A Portal to Nowhere 9/10
Floating in wombless amnion - blind - my liquid shroud tremble in agony, 'cos I'm reaching the last ring of Saturn, in the nucleus of this catatonic dream. Let me fly into the planet's rain...

Epic, galaxy-dissecting death metal. Marvelous!

Sadus - Throwing Away the Day 9/10
The drum sound really sticks in my craw but every other element is so perfect that I have to suppress my distaste. Nice and terse but also all over the place, lots of activity and vitality.
Possibly the most on-theme lyrics so far.

Torchure - Resort to Mortality 8/10
Takes a lot of balls to write an 11 minute classic death metal tune in slow-motion. For me it worked though.
Really atmospheric stuff actually, and a really beautiful production by the end had me not wanting this to end.

Moral Decay - This God 10/10
This is insanely ambitious. The lyrics had me completely transfixed and the combination of melodic almost-doom metal passages finely intermingled with the aggressive thrashing.... Just fantastic.
I really do like amateurishly sung clean vocals in rough metal compositions like this, might explain why I am so into Blood on Ice, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods and Nordland I & II.

Probably deserves to fucking win. Hail demo tapes!

Type O Negative - Anesthesia 7.5/10
Obvious as fuck choice, but a playlist about pessimism without Type O Negative might be a small injustice.

Merciless - Dying World 10/10
I wonder if there's anything beyond,
Is there any hope for me at all.
Now it's time for me to pass away,
I can hear the bells of death call...

Following in the ancient evil footsteps of Bathory, The Return and Under the Sign of the Black Mark and it just bursts from the speakers in all its razor-sharp obviousness. The previous Realm of the Dark demo to me had a much more bombastic South American vibe which I preferred.

But anyway, pessimistic mastery of the highest order!

Mourning Beloveth - Nothing Has a Centre 9.5/10
This is the kind of glacial monolith that sinks Titanics. Majestic!
I know of Mourning Beloveth but this might just be my first time hearing anything outside of their debut and I am really, really liking what I hear.

I was half-expecting this playlist to be a black metal emo-fest, but I am sitting here feeling richer for the experience. Top 5 playlists so far for me.

giphy (13).gif

Shining - Great geetar work in the lead and acoustic sections, and the vocals l can stomach to a degree but, the bland riffs do nothing for me. 5/10

Burial - Sounds very Death-like at the beginning with killer production and then some equally killer riffs. Awesome vokills. Great stuff l never heard the first time around. 9/10

Aftermath - This reminds me of that terrible terrible band Mordred. l think to some degree these riffs would work better if the tone was a whole lot heavier. It's ok, but the likes of Coroner did it soo much better. 6.5/10

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Yeah this is just a cool mix of classic riffs done well. Great axe, vox and drums. 9/10

The Chasm - These guys just aren't as great as some people do protest huh? l mean they have a flavour that's unique to a point. l don't hear anything that l haven't before and loads of bands do it better. But saying that, l like it. 7/10

Sadus - Ah the mighty Sadus and how much l didn't like this album when it came out. The production killed this for me ages ago and i've never really liked it since. l love Sadus but the drum and bass sounds, let alone the processed geetar tone, robbed them of their rawness for me. It was too much of a hollow sounding album. 6.5/10

Torchure - Cool early death/doom thing. a tad long methinks but it doesn't hurt for it. 8/10

Moral Decay - yeah this is terrific, tight raw experimental self-release by a young bunch of hacks 9/10

Type O Negative - ugh l just tend to cringe at blokes whispering over music. Or whispering at all. Rubs me up the wrong way kinda like TON anyway. Never liked this band. l guess l was a DM snob that could never accept these guys as Metal. They just weren't. l appreciate this more now and can see the quality of their writing. It's still not for me but l get it and respect it now. 6.5/10

Merciless - Brutal number from one of the best OSDM Swedish bands! 10/10

Mourning Beloveth - A bit draining, a bit tired and then it picked up somewhat...not much. Glacial you say CIG? More like Smashing your forehead into a brick wall 4/10