Themed Mixtape Game

The Chasm - Eternal Cycle of Delusion
Not super thematic or else I'd give it a 10. I always was a big fan of Spell, and this song is one of the reasons why.
9/10

Eulogy - Consecration of Fools

tbh I listened to this several times without even noticing what I was listening to. I think something this grimey isn't really favored by the mixtape format, seems like something I'd need to sit down and listen to a full album of and just sink into.
6/10

The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia

Idk what it is about Krixhjälters but they make me nostalgic for a time I wasn't alive for. Everything from the swenglish band name to the thrash/punk sound to the poppy choruses to the cold war-themed lyrics to the ice hockey influences?? (The cover art logo and the "WHO KILLED KIROV..." bit) just feels 80's Sweden to me, without being derivative of anything. Such an oddball band, they make up for all their songwriting deficiencies with an abundance of character.
10/10

Deceased - Morbid Shape in Black

This takes me back, because the first Themed Mixtape I participated in was the "extraterrestrials" round, and one of the best songs in that round was "The Triangle" from this album. I think that song was a little better. This is still very good though.
9/10

Addictive - Echoes of the Mind

I like this, but these vocals are bad even by my standards.
6/10

Fates Warning - The Arena

I never could get into "No Exit" due to being immediately turned off by Alder's vocals. He sounds better here but I'm still not a huge fan of vocals this shrill and he doesn't have the emotional phrasings and vocal melodies of Arch. But all in all it's... pretty good?
7/10

Exmortus - Metal is King

We already had this in the "metal" theme. Wasn't once enough? Doesn't even belong in this theme. For the record I like this song.
0/10

Aborym - III

Started out cringey but there were some cool parts in the middle. DHG are so much better at this shtick.
6/10

Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an Alibi
10/10

Despair - Delusion
8/10

Atrox - Mental Nomads

This is atroxious.
2/10

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation

I have no objection to the drums whatsoever.
9/10

Crimson Glory - Lost Reflection
7/10

Reactions: CiG
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1uZk3joaNcLY2E1AqXm6a5Bm6S64XQxe&disable_polymer=true

The Chasm - Eternal Cycle of Delusion
8/10

Eulogy - Consecration of Fools
6.5/10

The Krixhjälters - Mulling Over Anaesthesia
8/10

Deceased - Morbid Shape in Black
7/10

Addictive - Echoes Of The Mind
7/10

Fates Warning - The Arena
7.5/10

Exmortus - Metal Is King
4/10
Recycled song

Aborym - III
7.5/10

Thin Lizzy - Waiting For An Alibi
3/10
Not metal, and for a while it's been unofficial policy to downrate these sorts of things.

Despair - Delusion
8/10

Atrox - Mental Nomads
8.5/10

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
8.5/10

Crimson Glory - Lost Reflection
9/10

Reactions: CiG
...and the winner of round number 41 is

Dazed and Brutal!

Congrats sir.

Results:
1. The Chasm - Dazed and Brutal - 7.7307

2. Deceased - CASSETTEISGOD - 7.6538
3. The Krixhjälters - Vegard Pompey - 7.5384
4. Despair - Technical Barbarity - 7.3846
5. Fates Warning - HamburgerBoy - 7.2307

6. Eulogy - Slayed Necros - 7.0000
7. Addictive - Radical Thrasher - 6.9230
8. Crimson Glory - Carpe Mortem - 6.5769
9. Eucharist - no country for old wainds - 6.4615
10. Exmortus - Baroque - 5.8461
11. Aborym - arg - 5.0769
12. Atrox - Sergeant Grumbles - 4.9615
Thin Lizzy - Master_Yoda77 - 4.5769

Wow, my song did a lot better than I expected. Last time I submitted a song from that same album it got absolutely savaged.

giphy.gif

Really cool theme.

Also a really difficult theme, in the metal realm at least, without getting extraneously metaphorical.

That's because you pretentious black metal hipster types don't listen to enough thrash. I can think of dozens of bands with songs that qualify imo, metal in its original conception was always a kind of blue collar music.

Great theme.

Last edited: