Themed Mixtape Game

Psychotic Waltz - Another Prophet Song

8/10

I really enjoy this band. This was a great way to start this playlist.

Slough Feg - Asteroid Belts

7.5/10

Not one of my favorite Slough Feg songs, but I can't really fault its inclusion here.

Legend - The Golden Bell

8/10

I've actively been involved in trying to have this album reissued.

Aeternus - Warrior of the Crescent Moon

9/10

<3

Sinister Realm - The Crystal Eye

6.5/10

Pretty good.

Μillennium - The Traveller

8/10

This is the type of thing that I would pick for this playlist if I wasn't trying to win.

Blitzkrieg - Vikings

7/10

The strongest Blitzkrieg is the single, but I can't really fault this album.

Runemagick - At Horizon's End

9/10

I need to buy this album.

Quicksand Dream - Road Goes Ever On

8/10

I've only gotten into this band within the last year. They're pretty good and the song works here.

Garden of Shadows - Twilight Odyssey

7/10

Better than I expected going in.

Absu - Feis Mor Tir Na N'Og

7/10

Not my favorite Absu.

Illuminati - Gulliver's Extraordinary Journey

6/10

There's something here, but it isn't necessarily what I'd hoped.

Book of Reflections - Guardian of Time

6/10

Not my favorite type of music, but not bad.

Unleash the Archers - Apex

3/10

Thanks, but no thanks.

Psychotic Waltz - Another Prophet Song – a totally immersive cosmic journey, some of the most picturesque lyrics I’ve ever read in metal; 10/10

Slough Feg - Asteroid Belts – works maybe a little better in the context of the album but even at just two and a half minutes it easily gets the job done, epic but still rough-and-tumble USPM that totally fits a violent charge through an asteroid belt; 9/10

Legend - The Golden Bell – somber medieval ballad ahead of its time; 9/10

Aeternus - Warrior Of The Crescent Moon – this has more riffs than the entirety of their first album, which is to say more than three; the atmosphere is pretty decent here cheeseball keys and all, although I don’t really see this being an epic journey unless that line about the fall into a dark ravine counts; in that case, I think Sum 41’s In Too Deep would have been better suited; 5 – 3 = 2/10

The Crystal Eye - Sinister Realm – should have gone straight into the solo and faded after the second chorus, the hokey stop-start happy-doom thing only works in small doses, pleasant acoustic outro though; 4/10

Μillennium - The Traveller – never heard these guys, cool murky stuff; 7/10

Blitzkrieg – Vikings – maybe not quite a classic but close; 8/10

Runemagick - At Horizon's End – this is my first experience with this in-crowd favorite, surprisingly conservative tbh, hints of melodeath and the slower middle section has that Metallica-by-way-of-Dismember sentimentality, boring drumming, an infinite journey beyond time and space yet it follows a pretty basic form with little sense of climax, there wasn’t anything actually bad about this other than those inhaled vocals at the beginning but it didn’t really feel like it did anything; 4/10

Quicksand Dream - Road Goes Ever On – haven’t heard this album in a long time, don’t remember it being as upbeat and rocking as this song but then again this isn’t familiar at all anymore, still has a gorgeous wistful vibe, upvoting this because I think it may have turned me onto the band; 10/10

Garden Of Shadows - Twilight Odyssey – too sappy but pretty listenable despite being a lot of things I usually don’t like, female vocals near the end made me lol, like “Oh we GOT to have a climactic end for our album with female vocals” so they throw on three words as an afterthought; 5/10

Absu - Feis Mor Tir Na N'Og – Absu got better when they got thrashier, to the song’s credit it feels like more of a journey than most of the songs submitted musically, they definitely tried hard to establish that Celtic voyage vibe, but little of it is actually good, last minute and a half warranted an extra point; 5/10

Illuminati - Gulliver's Extraordinary Journey – forgot all about this album, for spazzy retro-Cynic tech-metal it’s quite good; 7/10

Book Of Reflections - Guardian of Time – never heard of these guys, doesn’t sound typical of neoclassical but hard to place how, in part I think it’s because those retro keys give me Hammer of Misfortune vibes even though the rest of the song doesn’t quite have that, and there’s also a little more urgency than the average Euro-power band, good stuff that I’ll bump up a little because it has me curious; 7.5/10

Unleash the Archers – Apex – sounds pretty damn good to me, better vocals than the majority of this playlist, polished production but doesn’t take away from things, despite their apparent beginnings there’s less melodeath here than in that Runemagick song, the riffs and melodies are too simple for this to be a great song but this is about as much as I could hope from the style; 7.5/10

Interesting playlist even if I didn't love everything.

Reactions: CiG

Yeah it's nice, expressive stuff. I'm guessing it'll work better for me in the context of the album so I need to check it out. 7/10

8.5/10

Legend - The Golden Bell

I remember liking this album a lot more when I first heard it years back. Sounds like a fairly tedious journey tbh. 6/10

"The arc of the crescent moon casts a shadow over my soul!" Epic beyond description. 10/10

Totally inoffensive but there's nothing too exciting happening here. Shit like this is a dime a dozen these days, I guess that's a good thing for some people. 5/10

Millennium - The Traveller

7/10

Blitzkrieg - Vikings

Album is unfortunately marred by shit production, but Ross saves it. He sound especially melancholic here and it really works. Great song. 8.5/10

Objective masterpiece. 10/10

I remember hearing a different song from this album a while back that didn't do much for me - this one was much better. Nice extended leads, cool guitar tone, actually sounded epic, etc. 8/10

Best song on the album. Great pick. 9/10

Absu - Feis Mor Tir Na N'Og (Across the North Sea of Visnech)

Long time since I last listened to this. 17 year old me worshiped this shit. I think they try to incorporate too much into one song and some sections in the middle don't work that well, but the beginning and the end are fantastic. 7.5/10

Annoying but mercifully short. 4/10

Eh, kind of powerless and wanky but I probably wouldn't mind it for a few songs as background music. 5/10

Sometimes I hate metal. 2/10

9/10
It appears that this is an album I should check out in time for the 1990 poll.

8/10
Asteroid belts? Just do a barrel roll!

Legend - The Golden Bell
7.5/10
The last unicorn dies tonight!

Aeternus - Warrior Of The Crescent Moon
9/10
Definitely a standout track in that album, which I am warming up to.

The Crystal Eye - Sinister Realm
7/10

7/10

Blitzkrieg - Vikings
7.5/10

8.5/10
Ominous doomy death metal is something I've been more open to recently, ever since I got hooked on The Karelian Isthmus.

8/10
A solid slab of epic metal; I can see the attraction in it.

Garden Of Shadows - Twilight Odyssey
7.5/10
I did check out this album during the 2000 poll, though I did not find it consistently engaging enough to make a mark. However, this is a decent closer.

Absu - Feis Mor Tir Na N'Og
8.5/10
This album impressed me over a decade ago, and I still saw fit to give it a place in my 1995 top ten, as the way to utilizes thrashing black metal, with a sense of epic grandeur throughout, gives it a certain je ne sais quoi. This song isn't quite as strong as its highest peaks, but it's still up there.

6.5/10
Too masturbatory for its own good. I kinda like the parts where it was edging, though.

Book Of Reflections - Guardian of Time
8/10
This is definitely better executed prog. Neoclassical wankery is the best kind of wankery there is.

6.5/10

Reactions: CiG
More rate and less wait, please. I want to submit the winning song for the next round sooner than later.

I have a nonsensical complaint with this; it's interesting to the point of grating. I guess it's too HBBcore for me, but still brilliant and evocative and strange.
8/10

Indifferent to this out of context.
6/10

Legend - The Golden Bell

I think of this as being the precursor to all my favorite metal - not in the sense of being a direct or even indirect influence, because it probably wasn't, given its obscurity, but in the sense of nailing that kind of mystical, time-worn feeling I'm looking for. Before there was Crystal Logic, before there was Irae Melanox, before there was Dark Quarterer, there was Fröm the Fjörds.
10/10

This has a very satisfying sound; real nice guitar sound and some of the most dynamic growls I've heard in a while. Lyrics don't explicitly refer to a journey but the references to mountains, ravines, rivers and weather and the structure of the song is enough to drive home the feeling of one.
8/10

Not big on these kind of neanderthal guitar rhythms that define the whole song.
4/10

HOLY FUCK. I'm in love with this from the first second. This has that exact kind of vibe I was talking about in my Legend blurb. This reminds me of "Killer Queen" by Oracle, and Heavy Load (even before the namedrop), and a billion other amazing things besides. I wonder who submitted this, because I don't recall seeing no country pimp this in any of his NWOBHM posts, and he obviously submitted Blitzkrieg besides.
10/10

Blitzkrieg - Vikings

That Millennium song was so fucking great.
7/10

Not doing all that much for me so I don't think this will make my '98 list. Picked up towards the end.
6/10

Quicksand Dream - The Road Goes Ever On

It's one of the lesser songs on the album, and a little anticlimactic out of context without The Lighthouse Dream to follow it since that's where all the spinechilling parts come, but I love their style too much to mind all that much. I'm not at all sure I would have liked this album any more with a conventionally good vocal performance.
7/10

Lately I'm starting to think this kind of labyrinthine, Septic Flesh-esque melodeath is probably my favorite kind of death metal. The winding structure is perfect to convey the sense of a journey, too. I don't think this is even close to the best song on the album (Citadel of Dreams and Desert Shadows are much better) but it's still amazing.
9/10

Absu - Feis Mor Tir na n'Og (Across the North Sea to Visnech)
Not my favorite Absu. (inb4 TB accuses me of being Omni)
6/10

Can't believe the person responsible for the Voivod renaissance could make something this tasteless.
2/10

Metal-archives describes this as an "All-star neo-classical metal band formed by Lars Eric Mattsson" and I'm very surprised to read that, because this sounds way too spirited to be the work of some middle-aged classical elitists, and way too rough-sounding besides (but maybe that's just the youtube?) Some of the synth string flourishes are atrocious, but aside from that, this is lovely.
9/10

This is enjoyable tbh but you can't make me feel at one with nature making music this clean and commercial. Also very possibly an arg submission, in which case he should be stoned for 1) including a song of his own in a playlist already 200 hours long, and 2) dignifying it with the poisition of closer besides.
6/10

Legend - The Golden Bell
I think of this as being the precursor to all my favorite metal - not in the sense of being a direct or even indirect influence, because it probably wasn't, given its obscurity, but in the sense of nailing that kind of mystical, time-worn feeling I'm looking for. Before there was Crystal Logic, before there was Irae Melanox, before there was Dark Quarterer, there was Fröm the Fjörds.
10/10

Well said, that's exactly how I feel about Legend myself.

i prefer this definition tbh...

EWfOa39.png

giphy.gif

And you must not use that word as often as you say if you didn't know what i meant.

I knew exactly what you meant. That's why I wrote "This is all that I could think of..." at the end of my post. There's literally no other reason why I would write that and even someone like Ozzman would have figured that out. I assume that you just didn't see that part of my post.

Apparently I need to break it down for you, actually.

I posted an amusing joke take on your insult in the form of an alternate definition from the one that you were clearly going for because it's the one that I frequently use in real life discussions.

I made it really obvious that this is what I was doing and yet you still failed to grasp that somehow. I don't even understand how you would arrive at the conclusion that you posted in response without specifically seeking to find a reason to argue with me about a joke that I made, a joke which was directed at Pompey and not you.