Themed Mixtape Game

A little pissed off my song was such a quick draw, this is actually one of my actual favorite drinking songs. Western tinged rockabilly. Sweet animated vid too.

"There ain't no choice so you must try to match me shot for shot
If you win then you'll go free.... And I can finally rot"

These playlists have been really lacking in the death metal department so far I think. The Mortem has been the only one I've really enjoyed so far if I'm remembering correctly. Hope the next theme calls for some awesome death metal.

yea how many times you heard it on the radio shouldn't affect the score

should also forget it's Metallica selling out and consider the song on its own

IRT Metallica, you guys actually listen to the radio? I guess that's why it's fresh-ish for me, iPod and CDs only.

I'm on the road a lot at work in shitty trucks with no way to hook up my phone/MP3 player so yeah I get stuck listening to the radio a lot.

yea how many times you heard it on the radio shouldn't affect the score
should also forget it's Metallica selling out and consider the song on its own

I've heard it enough times it's repulsive to me so it absolutely affects my rating.

These playlists have been really lacking in the death metal department so far I think. The Mortem has been the only one I've really enjoyed so far if I'm remembering correctly. Hope the next theme calls for some awesome death metal.

Death metal isn't usually super expressive on a theme.

Personally I'd like to see someone just pick "Satan" as a theme so everyone could just pick a badass song from any genre they wanted.

Reactions: Phylactery
I'm on the road a lot at work in shitty trucks with no way to hook up my phone/MP3 player so yeah I get stuck listening to the radio a lot.

That sucks, can't you get one of those short range FM transmitters though? I have one in my car, it's set to transmit on a channel that doesn't exist around here. It has a built in USB charger also. Works great and it's like $20 tops.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUJWPW

That sucks, can't you get one of those short range FM transmitters though? I have one in my car, it's set to transmit on a channel that doesn't exist around here. It has a built in USB charger also. Works great and it's like $20 tops.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUJWPW

You mean the ones that plug into the 12v? Guess I could but half the time those fuckers won't even charge my phone because the savages I work with cram shit in them to be cunts.

Reactions: Baroque
Gehennah - Piss off I’m Drinking
8/10
Filthy black/thrash with riffs to match.

ZZ Top - Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
6.5/10
Groovy hard rock; nothing spectacular, but it certainly has its charm.

Kawir - Hail Bacchus
8.5/10
This is a dark horse in the bunch. The chanting vocals really have a distinctly ancient feel, and they make me want to pour a goblet of wine in praise of Bacchus.

Tankard - Need Money for Beer
7/10
Decent enough, although I don't lean heavily towards thrash. Still, it was a pretty good solo.

Thin Lizzy - Got to Give it Up
6.5/10
The verses are a bit too vintage radio rock for my tastes, reminding me of their radio hit "Boys are Back in Town." However, I like the chord harmonies in the chorus.

Brocas Helm - Drink and Drive
7.5/10
This was actually my first choice for a submission. I would prefer to hear the version on Defender of the Crown, but it's still a decent song that makes the best of its brevity, not trying to go for anything too deep. The break that occurs 15 seconds in really establishes the jocular mood of the song, which is fitting, since I can't see how you'd make a serious song celebrating drunk driving.

Alestorm - Drink
5/10
I've got to respect the fact that whoever posted this - arg most likely- did so with full knowledge that it would be poorly received. Alestorm has a few fun tracks, but it never struck me as a band for whom I would actually consider listening to their albums. This song shows that I'm not missing much.

Faustcoven - Whiskey Demon
8/10
The forboding clean guitar sections may be the best part, but I think the contrasting heavy sections benefit from the atmosphere and the sinister, reverberating vocals.

Sarcofago - Alcoholic Coma
7/10
Some good riffing, but it feels a tad overlong, perhaps because of the disjointed nature of it all.

Iron Void - Demon Drink
7.5/10
It starts as serviceable midpaced doom, but it gets better starting at around 2:30, with a more melancholic passage.

Cross Examination - Blackout
6.5/10
Vocals aren't too bad, but it's largely just a Municipal Waste knockoff. I'd sure like to know what the fuck that sample at the end is; it's pretty hilariously ridiculous.

Black Flag - Six Pack
8.5/10
It's hard to say no to that opening riff, and this is a solid song from a classic hardcore punk album.

Barbatos - Satanik Beer
7.5/10
It's nothing too remarkable, but it never overstays its welcome, at little over 2 minutes in length.

Acid Bath - Cheap Vodka
7/10
I've never been much into sludge, but I've heard that this band has a fairly diverse sound. I suppose this one song is too short to showcase the entirety of their sound, but it's not bad.

Candlemass - Epistle No. 81
8.5/10
Although it's not the top song on the album in my opinion, it's still a great mournful doom dirge.

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
3.5/10
Never liked it much, but at least my familiarity with it means I can simply skip it.

Saint Vitus - Dying Inside
8/10
It sounds suitably wretched. I'm not heavily into the super old-school, bluesy strain of traditional doom metal, but this is well done.

Last edited:
Oh well, while we wait for the next theme, here is a swedish version av the Candlemass song for reference (non metal warning initiated).

This version has all the verses and are probably more in the spirit of how the song was intended. :)

We have 14 sets of ratings so far by my count. Is that enough or are we waiting on a few more people? I'm guessing Omni submitted Saint Vitus and I'm looking forward to her theme if so.

I'm not saying what I picked, but I didn't submit that song because it felt like a cheap win after how the last round played out. I'm playing for fun and will continue to pick songs that I think will reflect that.

I did originally plan to submit "Dragon Time" last time though.