Themed Mixtape Game

I want to participate but I have like 10 songs I want to pick for this, please give me an arbitrary criteria to help me narrow it down.

I guess you could pick the one that you think least resembles the songs that other people will pick.

I've got four submissions and one person who retracted their pick in favor of trying to pick a new song. I'm hoping a few more people will get on board.

I'm going to post the playlist tonight. Anyone who wants to submit a song should get on it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Be6DCTkO4p6DCGzjZY6ets0xdulWjJ3

Savatage - On the Run
Witchking - Witchking
Cloven Hoof - Nightstalker
Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Führer
Oracle - Killer Queen
Trouble - The Tempter
The Lamp of Thoth - I Love the Lamp
Omen - Death Rider
Ancient Rites - Morbid Glory (Gilles de Rais 1404-1440)

I decided to add the song that was retracted. The person who submitted it doesn't have to play if they don't want to, but they did indicate that they wanted to submit something else even though I never heard back.

Rate or die. This playlist actually looks pretty good, so laziness is unacceptable.

Savatage - On the Run 9/10

I definitely need to check out Savatage. Hall of the Mountain King absolutely rules but god damn, that main riff is fucking heavy here.

Witchking - Witchking 7/10

A little too over saturated and sharp sounding for my taste on those guitars, but this is pretty great epic metal. A little cheesy, but that's cool with me.

Cloven Hoof - Nightstalker 7.5/10

Been meaning to check out more from these guys. Pretty rocking riff. Nothing amazing but still really fun stuff here.

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Führer 6.5/10

More Flotsam and Jetsam? Whatever. I don't really have much to say here. It's fine.

Oracle - Killer Queen 9/10

Now this is kvlt shit. Someone showed me this stuff a few years back and I completely forgot about it. God damn it's awesome.

Trouble - The Tempter 9.5/10

Essential doom metal. Nothing more needs to be said.

The Lamp of Thoth - I Love the Lamp 8.5/10

Fucking on the altar of every church in town
Turning all the crosses upside down!

Omen - Death Rider 8.5/10

A classic. See two above.

Ancient Rites - Morbid Glory (Gilles de Rais 1404-1440) 7/10

God, those drums sound horrendous, but it's nice to have something more extreme on here. Some cool stuff here, but those drums are distracting.

Reactions: Omni
Savatage - On the Run
Decent. 7/10

Witchking - Witchking
Somehow I really like this song. 8/10

Cloven Hoof - Nightstalker
The type of metal which simply bores me. 4/10

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Führer
The intro is perhaps a bit too long, but otherwise a perfect thrash metal song for me. I especially like the guitar-work and the audible bass (Jason should have sounded like this on AJFA). 9,5/10

Oracle - Killer Queen
Also in this case the intro could have been a bit shorter and the vocals should have set in earlier. And I wish the sound was somewhat heavier. Because of the enjoyable guitar-playing: 8/10

Trouble - The Tempter
Great song! 9/10

The Lamp of Thoth - I Love the Lamp
I don't. Not my cup of tea. 5/10

Omen - Death Rider
The song is OK, but nothing I would listen to again. 6,5/10

Ancient Rites - Morbid Glory (Gilles de Rais 1404-1440)
The music isn't that bad, but I don't like this type of vocals. 3/10

Listening to this playlist right now. You know Omni, someone who stumbles upon your youtube by accident is going to think you have some very strange interests:

tqL5y99.png

(incidentally, when did we ever do a "swords" mixtape? I don't remember that at all)

That one is for the Facebook version of this game that existed for a while. We weren't friends on Facebook at the time or you'd have been invited for sure.

It was fun until a few people got butthurt and helped it die a painful death.

Savatage - On the Run – totally badass grooving swagger, 9/10

Witchking – Witchking – first minute left me worried with that really processed guitar tone and kind of clumsy riffs, but once the vocals came in it really got going, nice dramatic tension and some sweet wailing, will definitely check this album out, but is it really villainous if it’s the king? 9/10 reduced to a 6/10 for thematic ambiguity

Cloven Hoof – Nightstalker – probably the most overrated NWOBHM band, total amateur hour performance and really generic songwriting in the relatively late year of 1984, the chorus gives me 1983-era Slayer vibes so that puts it a little ahead of the others (though it’s not better than Slayer’s Night Stalker); actually that bridge has a neat spookiness to it as well, overall pretty good by their standards at least, 5/10

Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Führer – I suppose Hitler’s suicide was probably illegal in Nazi Germany but that’s about it, the song itself is pretty basic/generic and might have been the worst on the album if not for the SIEG HEIL chorus, 5/10 reduced to a 3/10

Oracle - Killer Queen – I want to love this album but the endless harmonies come off as more sappy than mystical or however they’re often sold, it doesn’t sound like some psyched-out 70s prog fusion with NWOBHM, it sounds like some psyched-out 70s band covering an average NWOBHM song, also, it’s her kingdom, 5/10 reduced to a 3/10

Trouble - The Tempter – obvious classic, although this opens with the line “I am the tempter / ruler of hell”, the overall song is more clearly presented as being about Satan’s crimes against humanity and God, rather than just a description of bad things done by a bad person, 9/10

The Lamp of Thoth - I Love the Lamp – that first minute was horrendous but there was some good stuff mixed in, the Iron Man ripoff was so flagrant it somehow crosses the line back into acceptability, 5/10

Omen - Death Rider – badass barbarian raid classic, 9/10

Ancient Rites - Morbid Glory (Gilles de Rais 1404-1440) – this is one of those albums that gets called black metal because people are stupid creatures of habit, really strong guitar sound and ominous vibes at parts for that occult caveman feeling, but hurt by the drum machine and some rigid verses, 6/10

Last edited:
That Ancient Rites album has an actual drummer.

I'm also not sure how being a leader makes you exempt from being a villain if you commit terrible acts.

That said, I'm glad that someone else finally decided to rate this.

I just copied and pasted whichever retard originally fucked it up. Do you assume people manually type the playlist out when they rate it?