Themed Mixtape Game

I've got 4 submissions so far. Is anyone else planning to submit a song? If so, I don't mind waiting until the end of next week (or even longer, if necessary). Otherwise, I might have to find a new theme, unless those who have already submitted a song wouldn't mind playing this game with a rather short list.

Good with any of the above.

I'll wait for you. Since it seems that no-one else wants to take part in this round, I will close the list tomorrow (Monday) at 12 p.m. CET, also in order to not keep those who have already submitted a song waiting any longer. In case anyone else should want to submit a song and requires more time, please let me know before the deadline.

Here is the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLELFaJsR9VyR2RUNIDZrBoE7QkbLOKUvH

Nasty Savage - Penetration Point
Demilich - (Within) The Chamber of Whispering Eyes
Maudlin of the Well - Birth Pains of Astral Projection
Astharoth - Mirror's World
Lantlôs - Pulse/Surreal
Atrox - The Beldam of the Bedlam
Suicidal Tendencies - Trip at the Brain
Ansur - An Exercise in Depth of Field

Nasty Savage - Penetration Point 8/10
Rules obviously.

Demilich - (Within) The Chamber of Whispering Eyes 9/10
It's fucking Demilich so obviously it rules. I'm never going to love the vocals but I've learned to accept them.

Maudlin of the Well - Birth Pains of Astral Projection 3/10
So this is what this band sounds like? Hideous.

Astharoth - Mirror's World 8/10
Never heard this. It's pretty cool stuff. Can't decide if I love the vocals or if they're annoying.

Lantlôs - Pulse/Surreal 6.5/10
Not really into the post-black metal thing. But this is better than most of the (admittedly little) I've heard. Passionate vocals. HamburgerBoy is going to love this one.

Atrox - The Beldam of the Bedlam 2/10
Terrible. Wtf is this?

Suicidal Tendencies - Trip at the Brain 5/10
Picked up in the middle/towards the end, but not really something that appeals to me.

Ansur - An Exercise in Depth of Field 2.5/10
Awful. Full of awkward nonsensical transitions to make up for the lack of songwriting talent. Baroque probably thinks this is challenging music or whatever. Starts out bad with some annoying chugging, but then becomes downright hilarious at the 5 minute mark.

What a terrible list! Thank God for Nasty Savage, Demilich and that random Polish thrash band.

Last edited:
...a terrible theme...
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Make themes great again!

By the way, why didn't you vote in the last round, even though you submitted a song (which came in at no. 4)? Depending on how much more you liked your own entry than "Killing Technology", you could have won.

Ha I downrated my pick last round because I was unhappy with it.

I didn’t submit this round but I might rate out of boredom.

Terrible lists with a terrible theme...

This was a good theme. You're just bad at picking songs for themes that aren't extremely obvious. That said, the playlist is definitely lacking. I'm part of the way through it now and a lot of it isn't enjoyable.

3.5/10. I've tried to get into NS in the past but every time I've stopped myself because of well, apathy towards them.

10/10. This is the perfect pick for this playlist. It's probably obvious but since no one gives a fuck about that any more, this should win.

8/10. Forgot I was listening to anything until like three minutes in but I like weird shit and this does it for me tbh.

3/10. Everyone that plays this game loves thrash metal I find unlistenable. All the time. Except me. Fuck you and this.

Lantlôs - Pulse/Surreal
7.5/10. I occasionally listen to Lantlos and theyre pretty much the best thing that ever came from that post black starbucks mettle phase.

8/10. I'm hot and sweaty drinking a natty daddy and this blew my mind.

3/10. I hate the whole flat brim hat bro thrash metal brotherhood thing.

1/10. Is this band's name purposely answer spelled incorrectly? This is annoying and too long and I pretty much hate whoever submitted it.

It could be a variant of ansuz, which is the name of one of the runes in the Elder Futhark. The 'z' sound in the reconstructed Proto-Germanic language becomes an 'r' in most of the daughter languages. I think the transitional form between that and Old Norse is 'AnsuR', which is the form Wardruna uses in one of their song titles.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy

9/10

Awesome band. I'm glad that I saw them live.

10/10

Demilich is my favorite death metal band. Hats off to whoever submitted this one.

5/10

Weird.

8/10

Polish thrash classic. This was reissued as a great 2CD release by Dark Symphonies recently and I love it.

Lantlôs - Pulse/Surreal

4/10

A lot of nothing here.

7.5/10

This is cooler than I expected.

1/10

Bro metal.

1/10

This song is ridiculous. It's obvious from the get-go that they can play their instruments but there are some incredibly stupid transitions and ideas in here.

Nasty Savage - Classic tech death from a pioneer that would go on to influence later Atheist Pestilence etc Killer - 10/10 should win

Demilich - Another classic DM release this time of the Finnish persuasion. Shitty drums always were a turn off for me tho. 8/10

maudlin of the Well - meandering, kinda long winded and at times sleep inducing. Doesn't get much better when it flirts with the heavy. l could imagine this band would be fairly entertaining live, but its a snooze fest for the most part. Killer bass tone. 6.5/10

Astharoth - Yeah l like this. It's all over the place production wise and in the tune itself but it has that dirty thrashy vibe l love. 8/10

Lantlos - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 3/10

Atrox - l can appreciate the musicianship on offer here and dig some of the time signatures, and especially the geetar work but fuck me if l wouldn't slit my wrists on repeat listens. 5/10

Suicidal Tendencies - Yeah the singer looks like a douche but Bro metal? what the fuck are you twats smoking? this is classic thrash from the armpits of i'm crawling into your arse and punching your lungs. And Rocky George brings the shred every time. 9/10

Ansur - A mashup of most things l like/don't like about modern DM tech stuff. Great instrumentation just got a tad lost in translation and at 12 fucking minutes it's overkill, some terrific sections and some lacklustre bile all at the same time. Cool geetar work tho. 8/10

Reactions: Omni