Themed Mixtape Game

Cyberya - Ministry of T.E.C.H. – extremely cheesy but has such a pleasant disposition about it that I can’t dislike it for that, unusual enough that I’m curious about checking this album out, 7.5/10

Nuclear Assault – Technology – not a fan of this album last I checked but this was decent, frantic energy at least, 6/10

Amaranthe - Mechanical Illusion – lmao, 3/10

Carnivore – Technophobia – although a part of me would like to downrate this for their persistence in these playlists, Carnivore’s lyrics always strike their respective theme dead-center, helps that it’s a good song, 7.5/10

Obliveon – Droidomized – sci-fi tech-thrash greatness, 9/10

Voivod - Killing Technology – see above, 9/10

Vektor - Ultimate Artificer – could compete with their influences if they didn’t pigeonhole their sound, some trivial variation on that riff at 0:30 is used in probably half their songs and they frequently segregate their spacy dangly chord bits from the basic thrash riffing bits because they lack clear vision, 5/10

Destruction - Second to None – bland riffs, hilarious lyrics, embarrassing delivery, 0/10

Scanner - Grapes of Fear – love the continuous building tension, could use better drumming though, 7/10

Queensryche - NM 156 – the first of a good number of Queensryche songs that brilliantly and effortlessly blend metal technique and cinematic vision, nothing here is less than excellent but the leads are particularly distinguished, 10/10

Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye – obvious classic but whatevs, 10/10

Slough Feg - Professor's Theme – the neoclassical stuff here is better than most metal bands that dedicate themselves to it, 9.5/10

Agent Steel - Children of the Sun – Cyriis is undoubtedly one of the most overrated singers in 80s metal, Kai-Hansen-bootleg-Chinese-squeaky-toy-sounding schizo fucker, anyone could sing this better, the drummer is incompetent as well, the song itself appeals to me slightly more than others from the album in that it has that lofty Transylvania/Genghis Khan thing going for it in the verses though only a tenth as good, 3/10

Reactions: Omni
I'm all for just ignoring Baroque's ratings. Makes things easier.

They're going to be ignored unless he fixes them.

Buncha math wimps itt. I'm not surprised the two of you can't figure out basic division and rounding

I'll break it down for all the plebs here who don't understand pre high school math

Cyberya - Ministry of T.E.C.H.
This is lol, it's like 80's pop masquerading as industrial/power metal, and the same level cheese too. 3.14159265/10 for uniqueness and irrationality

3.14/10 rounds down to 3/10

Nuclear Assault - Technology
Lots of good thrash on this list scanning ahead. Riffs are fairly simple and the mix needs work, but the speed and energy is spot on. Love the vocals on this 8.8/10

Round up. 9/10

Amaranthe - Mechanical Illusion
This is like if the Cyberya song took itself too seriously and was refocused to be geared more towards arg. sqrt(2)/10.

sqrt(2)/10 = 1.414214/10 rounds down to 1/10

Carnivore - Technophobia
This is pissed off and fucking weird thrash like I would mosh to in a little bar in LA somewhere. 3^2/10

3 squared is 9 so 9/10

Obliveon - Droidomized
These guys and Vektor are two of my favorite bands and this is their best album 20/20

20/20 = 10/10

Voivod - Killing Technology
Cool and great but I never liked Voivod quite as much as the other two. This was ahead of its time and could have easily been made somewhere inbetween 1989/2000

1989/2000 = .9945 which is roughly 9.9/10 so 10/10

Vektor - Ultimate Artificer
Love Vektor, this is not the absolute best song on the album though so 9.99999.../10

9.999999... = 10, so 10/10

Destruction - Second to None
:rofl:/19 where :rofl:=1, this is a joke submission but i chuckled, gj

1/19 is about 0.05 so 0/10

Scanner - Grapes of Fear
Don't know whether I like this or think this is cheesy, this is one of those borderline bands/songs where you have to kind of embrace the cheese to fully enjoy it. Good vibes. I'm going with the number of fingers Tony Iommi has remaining/10

Probably 8.5/10??

Queensryche - NM 156
I am so not a Queensryche fan, seeing them back to back with Dream Theater sealed it, and then their whole mega drama with 2 Queensryches double sealed it. The number of times TechnicalBarbarity has posted in April so far/10

0/10

Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
This was one of the first songs to get me into heavy metal. It wasn't super formative, I liked the other bands I heard more, but it was good. '82/100

82/100 = 8.2/10 which rounds to 8/10

Slough Feg - Professor's Theme
So many meta GMD forum culture picks in this playlist. I'll rate it fairly. I like the mix and riffs actually. It benefits from being shorter than other songs by them I've heard. Reminds me a lot of the side project I enjoyed by these guys, what was it called again. Hammers of Misfortune? it's iight, but a couple eggs short of a dozen.

Coulple eggs, so 10/12 which is 5/6 = .83333 which rounds to 8/10

Agent Steel - Children of the Sun
The atmosphere is a bit thrashier than iron maiden, but the vocals are objectively worse than iron maiden, even (unintentionally? hard to tell) offkey at times. The vocals hurt my ears and not in ways that are metal. golden ratio/5

Golden ratio (roughly 1.6) out of 5 is roughly .32 so 3.2/10 which is roughly 3/10

Basic math, y'all (roughly)

Last edited:
Tony Iommi still has ten fingers. He lost the flesh on his fingertips down to the bone, and didn't lose any fingers.

Buncha math wimps itt. I'm not surprised the two of you can't figure out basic division and rounding

I'll break it down for all the plebs here who don't understand pre high school math

3.14/10 rounds down to 3/10

Round up. 9/10

sqrt(2)/10 = 1.414214/10 rounds down to 1/10

3 squared is 9 so 9/10

20/20 = 10/10

1989/2000 = .9945 which is roughly 9.9/10 so 10/10

9.999999... = 10, so 10/10

1/19 is about 0.05 so 0/10

Probably 8.5/10??

0/10

82/100 = 8.2/10 which rounds to 8/10

Coulple eggs, so 10/12 which is 5/6 = .83333 which rounds to 8/10

Golden ratio (roughly 1.6) out of 5 is roughly .32 so 3.2/10 which is roughly 3/10

Basic math, y'all (roughly)

1513392240072.gif

1513392240072.gif[img]

Reactions: The Ozzman
I'll aim to end it this weekend. Won't have enough time to get to adding shit up until then so if anyone else wants to vote do it by then

Obliveon - Droidomized @Slayed Necros 59 (8.4 Avg)
Voivod - Killing Technology @Burkhard 55 (7.9 Avg)
Scanner - Grapes of Fear @HamburgerBoy 52.5 (7.4 Avg)
Slough Feg - Professor's Theme @Master_Yoda77 51(7.3 Avg)
Judas Priest - Electric Eye / The Hellion @Krow 49 (7 Avg)
Nuclear Assault - Technology @RadicalThrasher 47(6.7 Avg)
Queensryche - NM 156 @Omni 46.5 (6.6 Avg)
Vektor - Ultimate Artificer @Baroque 45.5 (6.5 Avg)
Agent Steel - Children of the Sun @Funerary_Doom 42.5 (6.1 Avg)
Carnivore - Technophobia @dwellerINTHEdark 41(5.9 Avg)
Amaranthe - Mechanical Illusion @arg 18.5 (2.6 Avg)
Destruction - Second To None @Vegard Pompey 15.5(2.21 Avg)

And my submission, Cyberya - Ministry of T.E.C.H. 31.5 (4.5 Avg)

Since there were no votes from @Slayed Necros

@Burkhard takes the W

Considering the initial criticism of my submission for this round, I'm a bit surprised I won (even though it was only because the "real" winner didn't vote). I'm aware that my pick was obvious, but it's a great song. By the way, my back-up pick was Watchtower's "Technology Inaction". I wonder how that one would have fared, but I assume it would have been less popular.

Do we have a list somewhere with all the subjects which have already been done? The one in the initial post stops in the middle of 2016 and I don't want to have to go the entire topic. Did we already have Catastrophes (of any kind, thus caused by nature as well as man-made)?

Since I'm not registered on youtube (which seems to be required to put together a playlist there), would anyone be willing to put the playlist together? (I could forward the submissions to the person in question once the list is full.) Otherwise I would have to insert the link to each song separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Since I'm not sure there are many songs about man-made desasters (maybe there are) and since it's perhaps too similar to natural desasters, what about Surrealism? By this I mean lyrics describing surrealistic scenes, situations, yet not "ordinary" fantasy-, science fiction-stuff or mythology. Could also be a bit tricky, but I'd give it a try.

I've got 4 submissions so far. Is anyone else planning to submit a song? If so, I don't mind waiting until the end of next week (or even longer, if necessary). Otherwise, I might have to find a new theme, unless those who have already submitted a song wouldn't mind playing this game with a rather short list.