Themed Mixtape Game

Man im really liking this Scald song ... a lot. Rarely do i want to buy an album after listening to just one track from it, but i definitely want that album. On the other hand though, that sort vokter track has got to be one of the worst tracks ive heard in a long, LOOONG time. Utter trash. Amazes me that people would actually listen to that garbage.

Darkthrone - Where Cold Winds Blow

This was my introduction to Darkthrone and raw black metal. It shaped my tastes for years and years to come. Classic. Good opener. 9/10

Sort Vokter - Bak To Lysende Øyne

Feral guitar tone, amazing production. I haven't actually listened to Sort Vokter in years. Needs to change. 8/10

Branikald - Rdjandalir

"Only a new school poser would even ask what Branikald and Forest have done." 8/10

Scald - Night Sky

Epic and transcendent. 10/10

Bloodbath - Outnumber the Day

Bog-standard throwback Swedeath. 4/10

Panphage - Storm

Majestic! 10/10

Hate Forest - Black Forest

Not what I would've chosen from Hate Forest. It's all right. 6/10

Alchemist - Part 1: The Bio Approach

Bad vocals all around, fairly interesting music. 5/10

Ancestors - Mother Animal

Meandering, tedious, eternal cornfields. Drugs are probably necessary. 3/10

Sacramentum - When Night Surrounds Me

An all time favourite song right here. 10/10

Atheist - Green

I feel nothing. 5/10

Dead Can Dance - The Arcane

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this quite a lot. 7/10

Arcturus - Icebound Streams and Vapours Gray

Never got into Arcturus. This didn't exactly help. 4/10

Drudkh - Forests in Fire and Gold

It's nice and warm and pretty and I like it less than I did when I last listened to it several years ago. 6/10

Waldgeflüster - Herbst befiel das Land

Literally almost burst out laughing a couple of times while listening to this. I'll give it an extra half point for that. 3.5/10

Demolition Hammer - Cataclysm

I had to listen to Pyroclastic Annihilation after this because I feel like it would've been a better pick from Demolition Hammer. Still, the riffs were a welcome change. 7/10

Three 10s this round! Not bad.

Last edited:
Darkthrone - Where Cold Winds Blow 10/10

I worship A Blaze in the Northern Sky, and while this isn't one of my absolute favourites from it, I'm still giving it a 10. Amazing production, filthy and terrifying atmosphere and one of the best black metal vocal performances ever.

Sort Vokter - Bak To Lysende Øyne 7.5/10

I love this fuzzy guitar tone, the absolutely hate-filled vocals and those random piercing shrieks. This has convinced me that it is time to revisit Folkloric Necro Metal as it has been years.

Branikald - Rdyandalir 7.5/10

There are lots of subtle changes throughout this song which I enjoy. I could see me rating this higher if I was in the mood for this sort of thing, but I'm not right now. It's still good though and some people have clearly missed the point.

Scald - Night Sky 9.5/10

Epic doom! Astonishingly beautiful and emotional music right here. The vocals of this band took me some time to get used to because while at times they are just amazing, his lower register sounds really strange. This needs another reissue because it's still a pain to find on CD.

Bloodbath - Outnumbering the Day 5/10

I actually enjoy Breeding Death quite a bit from this band, but I've found everything that came after to be meh. So yeah, I don't hate this, but it's not the sort of death metal that I look for. It's also sandwiched between 2 of the best songs on this list which does it no favours.

Panphage - Storm 9/10

Glad to see this here (@Slayed Necros's choice?), I've been a big fan of this song for a while. Awesome little intro before it explodes into these glorious and triumphant melodies. Fantastic song. Unfortunately, the only other song I've heard from Storm was nowhere near as memorable or interesting as this.

Hate Forest - Black Forest 7/10

A pummeling, violent, blast beat-ridden affair that evokes nature successfully. Those growls in the second half are fucking savage.

Alchemist - Part 1: The Bio Approach 5/10

I actually found the first 2 minutes of this to be pretty interesting. However, the vocals are terrible and some of the heavy riffs are annoying so I can't rate it any higher.

Ancestors - Mother Animal 5/10

I'm not big into stoner doom but this is absolutely crushing and bleak. It's far too long though and I couldn't see myself sitting through a whole album of this. It gets more interesting towards the end, and like Branikald, I might like this more if I were in a different mood.

Sacramentum - When Night Surrounds Me 10/10

A top 3 album of all time for me, absolutely majestic and beautiful. It's shocking that as amazing as this song is, there are 4/5 songs on this album that I think are even better. Dark, haunting and transcendental.

Atheist - Green 5.5/10

Oh my, this is disjointed and I don't like the stop-start riffing. The lead work is the best thing about this song. I'm a big fan of the first 2 Atheist records but I can't really get behind this at all. Whoever submitted this should have chose "Mother Man" instead because it's far superior.

Dead Can Dance - The Arcane 8.5/10

I'm a big fan of Brendan's vocals, I find them extremely soothing. This is dark and moving music that I enjoy a lot.

Arcturus - Icebound Streams and Vapours Gray 6.5/10

I've only heard songs from the first full length before I think, so this is new to me. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and I'm not feeling its attempts to be dramatic, but it is fairly interesting and unique, so extra points for that.

Drudkh - Forests in Fire and Gold 7.5/10

I've actually only heard Autumn Aurora before, so another new track for me. It's lush and perfectly fitting for this theme and I enjoy it more as it continues to develop. I'm not big on the production though, if the guitars were lower in the mix then I think the atmosphere would wash over me more and I might rate it higher.

Waldgeflüster - Herbst befiel das Land 5/10

This begins well enough but then it starts to become a bit dull. The vocals are serviceable and the riffs are okay, but as others have said, it doesn't really make me feel anything and there's no need for it to be almost 8 minutes long.

Demolition Hammer - Cataclysm 7.5/10

Some thrash that I can actually get behind. Nice and brutal riffing. Fun and energetic song that is perhaps just a bit too long.

Phew! Lots of listening there! I've been doing this for so long that this thread has moved on another page now that I've finished. I kept taking breaks and coming back to it. I think the quality overall was the highest so far in this playlist for me, but still had a lot of stuff that I found meh or just okay. Thankfully there was nothing as offensive as Alestorm this time, so that's a blessing.

@CASSETTEISGOD nice to see you back, where have you been? Nocternity should have totally won the dragon round in my opinion.

@Carpe Mortem You're killing me by rating Darkthrone a 2 and Sacramentum a 5 :(.

Last edited:
I would have gone 7/10 for dark throne if it was later in the list. I didn't realize how bad most of the other black metal would be lol. They had the 2nd most interesting bm song posted I think

Worst playlist yet. I like 3 songs. Nothing wrong with the theme, it could've been good but all your ears are so clogged with shit and it warps your perception of enjoyable listening. I'm out on my cel (and headphones so sound clarity is not an issue) right now but will nuke your ratings from my laptop later.

I relistened to all of the songs on the playlist that I am not very familiar with and adjusted my ratings based on my current thoughts.

Also suprised Ulver wasn't represented, I actually was considering submitting a song from Bergtatt but was sure someone else already had so I didn't bother. :p

I was going to do that, but I also figured that someone else would.

Worst playlist yet. I like 3 songs. Nothing wrong with the theme, it could've been good but all your ears are so clogged with shit and it warps your perception of enjoyable listening. I'm out on my cel (and headphones so sound clarity is not an issue) right now but will nuke your ratings from my laptop later.

nah, the last list was pretty shitty.

People are disappointed in a playlist that contains classic Darkthrone, Scald, Sacramentum and Dead Can Dance? What the fuck. It also has that fantastic Panphage song that a lot of people probably haven't heard before. There is also Demolition Hammer, who are a good thrash band.