Themed Mixtape Game

Super busy at the moment but I'll do some half arsed ratings.

Griftegård - The Four Horsemen (featuring guest vocals by Farida Lemouchi) 9/10
I've only heard Solemn Sacred Severe by this band before. This was awesome.

Obsidian Tongues - A Nest of Ravens in the Throat of Time (featuring guest vocals by John Haughm) 4/10

Behemoth - Inner Sanctum (featuring guest vocals by Warrel Dane) 3/10

This was pretty bad. I'm indifferent to a lot of Behemoth, but this one actively annoyed me.

Aura Noir - Mirage (featuring guest vocals by Fenriz) 8/10

Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary (featuring guest vocals by Pamela Moore) 7/10

This was definitely interesting, I need to listen to it more.

Marduk - Accuser/Opposer (featuring guest vocals by A.A. Nemtheanga) 7.5/10

Nemtheanga's presence elevates this song.

Ayreon - Comatose (featuring guest vocals by Anneke van Giersbergen and Jørn Lande) 1/10

Wtf was this?

Agatus - Conqueror of Fear (featuring guest vocals by Jimmy Petkoff) 8.5/10

One of my favourites on this list. I listened to their first album not too long ago and enjoyed it a lot, looks like I need to listen to this one too.

Probot - My Tortured Soul Live (featuring guest vocals by Eric Wagner and guest guitar by Wino) 6.5/10

Nice change to have a live song, this was good but not great.

Paul Chain - Voyage to Hell (featuring guest vocals by Lee Dorrian) 9/10
For whatever reason, this is one of the only Paul Chain songs I'm familiar with. Guess I need to change that, very cool doom.

White Skull - Tales from the North (featuring guest vocals by Chris Boltendahl) 5/10

I enjoyed some parts of this, but other part left me scratching my head.

Blind Guardian - Valhalla (featuring guest vocals by Kai Hansen) 8.5/10

Gorguts - Inoculated Life (featuring guest guitar solo by James Murphy) 8/10

Considered Dead rules and so does this track.

Scorn - Hit (featuring guest guitar by Justin Broadrick) 2/10
This has absolutely no appeal to me and it's too long.

Ария - Штиль (featuring guest vocals by Udo Dirkschneider) 7.5/10

Pretty cool, the video was hilarious.

I didn't put as much effort into this because I've been really busy lately so these were pretty much all just first impression ratings, apart from songs I already know.

Last edited:
Mine aren't that similar are they? This playlist is the one I feel was most divided into good and bad songs, so quite a few ratings are similar. Also I fixed the Obsidian Tongues rating which I noticed I put as 5 when it should have been 4.

I don't have the motivation to write much today.

Griftegård - The Four Horsemen (featuring guest vocals by Farida Lemouchi)

Probably requires more than one listen to sink in. I also need to be in a particular mood for this sort of thing. Decent, anyway. 7/10

Obsidian Tongues - A Nest of Ravens in the Throat of Time (featuring guest vocals by John Haughm)

No thanks. 3/10

Behemoth - Inner Sanctum (featuring guest vocals by Warrel Dane)

Awful. Unsurprisingly, Warrel manages to make it worse. 3/10

Aura Noir - Mirage (featuring guest vocals by Fenriz)

Much appreciated. 7/10

Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary (featuring guest vocals by Pamela Moore)

Entertaining overblown nonsense. Tate obviously rules. 6.5/10

Marduk - Accuser/Opposer (featuring guest vocals by A.A. Nemtheanga)

Better than I expected. At least 4 minutes too long. 5/10

Ayreon - Comatose (featuring guest vocals by Anneke van Giersbergen and Jørn Lande)

Be embarrassed. 1/10

Agatus - Conqueror of Fear (featuring guest vocals by Jimmy Petkoff)

Vorskaath is a beastly drummer. 7.5/10

Probot - My Tortured Soul Live (featuring guest vocals by Eric Wagner and guest guitar by Wino)

Even the presence of legitimate legends can't make me care about this. 4/10

Paul Chain - Voyage to Hell (featuring guest vocals by Lee Dorrian)

Awesome. 8/10

White Skull - Tales from the North (featuring guest vocals by Chris Boltendahl)

I don't know who's who but one of these vocalists is hilarious. 4/10

Blind Guardian - Valhalla (featuring guest vocals by Kai Hansen)

A godsend after the last song. 7.5/10

Gorguts - Inoculated Life (featuring guest guitar solo by James Murphy)

Definitely needed to hear this after some of the shit mixed with shit on this playlist. 8.5/10

Scorn - Hit (featuring guest guitar by Justin Broadrick)

Not particularly happy that I'm being forced to listen to this. 2/10

Ария - Штиль (featuring guest vocals by Udo Dirkschneider)

Enough already! 5/10

Griftegård - The Four Horsemen (featuring guest vocals by Farida Lemouchi) 10/10

I fucking worship this song. One of the best covers I've ever heard. Griftegard manage to totally change the atmosphere with this cover. It's so fucking dark and depressing. Farida sounds brilliant and meshes extremely well with Thomass' vocals. Griftegard were one of the forerunners of doom for the past 10 years and if this is their swansong, well...fucking wow.

Obsidian Tongues - A Nest of Ravens in the Throat of Time (featuring guest vocals by John Haughm) 6/10

Pretty sure I saw these guys in Minneapolis back in 2014. Starts off quite slow but soothing. I dig this type of stuff on certain occasions but I found myself scrolling through waiting for it to kick up a little. It takes nearly 5 minutes but I can see myself listening to this in the future.

Behemoth - Inner Sanctum (featuring guest vocals by Warrel Dane) 5/10

I actually quite enjoy Behemoth and their newest one is surprisingly good. This one, not so much. I stopped really liking Nevermore when I turned 17 but I've heard worse.

FUCK THIS MAKES ME WANT TO DRINK A THOUSAND BEERS! Aura Noir rules and this song is wonderful. Fenriz is the kind of dude you spin old Queensryche albums with. That mid-paced riff is fucking grooving hard.

Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary (featuring guest vocals by Pamela Moore) 7/10

Speak of the devil. I fucking love this album. However, I don't feel like blasting the whole fucking thing right now so I skipped to the parts that I knew I liked. There are also better songs on the album but I get the significance of it given the concept and stuff. It's kind of not fair to rate it individually but whatever.

Marduk - Accuser/Opposer (featuring guest vocals by A.A. Nemtheanga) 7/10

I've never really dug Marduk but they put on a cool show. This song is too long and I fucking love long ass songs. Alan sounds awesome as usual but he sounds a little out of place here for whatever reason, but I really like the slow nature of this one. Definitely reminds me of Beherit and Archgoat and those glorious Finnish death/black bands that I jerk off to.

Ayreon - Comatose (featuring guest vocals by Anneke van Giersbergen and Jørn Lande) 3/10

I checked out the fucking MA page for this band and looked at the guest members on this album and it's fucking Wintersun levels of ridiculous. Way too video game sounding for me. I don't like this.

Agatus - Conqueror of Fear (featuring guest vocals by Jimmy Petkoff) 6/10

There are better greek BM bands out there. This is just weird and not really doing it for me. It definitely gets better towards the second half and I dig those cleans. Reminds me of Stone of Destiny. Gave it a few higher points because of that alone.

Probot - My Tortured Soul Live (featuring guest vocals by Eric Wagner and guest guitar by Wino) 6/10

Fuck, talk about some fucking legends there. Eric's a god and I pretty much wish I was Wino without the addiction problems. This song is fine but I just can't get over those two playing with Dave Grohl.

Paul Chain - Voyage to Hell (featuring guest vocals by Lee Dorrian) 8.5/10

The mighty Paul Chain! Another doom god from the fatherland. I've never been a big Cathedral fan and I don't really like Lee's vocal style but this is still awesome. Lee is actually more fitting here than he is in Cathedral and shit.

White Skull - Tales from the North (featuring guest vocals by Chris Boltendahl) 6/10

Holy fuck this is some castley, dungeon-crawling power metal. I doubt I'd listen to it but this is fun once or twice. That solo was killer as well.

Blind Guardian - Valhalla (featuring guest vocals by Kai Hansen) 9/10

Yep. If you don't like this you don't deserve to live.

Gorguts - Inoculated Life (featuring guest guitar solo by James Murphy) 6/10

I used to love Gorguts now I find them fucking dull and boring. Obscura is cool but too fucking weird for my tastes these days. I also just don't enjoy death metal as much as I used to. Call me a faggot or whatever but yeah, there you go. This is adequate but I'd rather listen to Incantation.

Scorn - Hit (featuring guest guitar by Justin Broadrick) 5/10

Yep, that sounds like Justin Broadrick. This sounds like a lite beer version of Godflesh's middle and later stuff. Eh, I'll pass.

Ария - Штиль (featuring guest vocals by Udo Dirkschneider) 5/10

I just don't like Aria or whatever. Udo sounds fucking hilarious here but I'd rather be listening to Accept.

The Four Horsemen @Master_Yoda77 8.1
Valhalla @Vegard Pompey 7.8
Mirage @CASSETTEISGOD 7
Inoculated Life @Sirjack 6.8
Suite Sister Mary @HamburgerBoy 6.7
Voyage to Hell @no country for old wainds 6.5
Accuser/Opposer @Mort Divine 6.3
Conqueror of Fear @Slayed Necros 6.2
Штиль @EspaDa 5.9
My Tortured Soul @Carpe Mortem 5.7
Tales from the North @Serjeant Grumbles 5.5
A Nest of Ravens in the Throat of Time @dwellerINTHEdark 4.7
Inner Sanctum @arg 4.5
Hit @mutantllama 4.1
Comatose @Baroque 3.9

Sorry, I did the math on paper so it took a little while.

Here are my ratings, which were not factored into the final scores:

Griftegård - The Four Horsemen (featuring guest vocals by Farida Lemouchi) 8/10

This is a cool interpretation of a classic song. The guest vocalist is a welcome addition. I'd recommend people to check out the original by Aphrodite's Child.

Obsidian Tongues - A Nest of Ravens in the Throat of Time (featuring guest vocals by John Haughm) 3/10

I don't really like Agalloch much anymore, but this is like an extra boring version of their worst music. It doesn't do much for me.

Behemoth - Inner Sanctum (featuring guest vocals by Warrel Dane) 2/10

Behemoth is so mediocre and Warrel Dane hasn't been good since the first Sanctuary album.

This song is awesome. No bullshit here.

Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary (featuring guest vocals by Pamela Moore) 6.5/10

A bit over-the-top but definitely solid and quite enjoyable. I think it works better on the album.

Marduk - Accuser/Opposer (featuring guest vocals by A.A. Nemtheanga) 4.5/10

This was better than I expected, but that's all that I can say. Nemtheanga made it more tolerable.

Ayreon - Comatose (featuring guest vocals by Anneke van Giersbergen and Jørn Lande) 1/10

I generally hate Ayreon, but they have much better songs than this one. This was a bad pick. I think several other songs by them would have done better.

Agatus - Conqueror of Fear (featuring guest vocals by Jimmy Petkoff) 9/10

This is the song that inspired me to choose this theme.

Probot - My Tortured Soul Live (featuring guest vocals by Eric Wagner and guest guitar by Wino) 4/10

Dave Grohl is a pretty amateurish metal songwriter, regardless of his star power and ability to get legendary musicians to appear with him in this band.

Paul Chain - Voyage to Hell (featuring guest vocals by Lee Dorrian) 7/10

Goofy and quite cool.

White Skull - Tales from the North(featuring guest vocals by Chris Boltendahl) 4/10

This was annoying.

Blind Guardian - Valhalla (featuring guest vocals by Kai Hansen) 9/10

The song that the previous song should have tried harder to be. This is excellent.

Gorguts - Inoculated Life (featuring guest guitar solo by James Murphy) 8/10

This is an awesome song from an awesome album, despite having the least impactful guest appearance on the list.

Scorn - Hit (featuring guest guitar by Justin Broadrick) 2/10

Boring.

Ария - Штиль (featuring guest vocals by Udo Dirkschneider) 5/10

This isn't really for me. They seemed pretty excited though.