Themed Mixtape Game

I don't care what wins. Why listen to those 3 bands over and over again? How about some new music?

I've not picked any of those bands yet, but it's very anus-y to downvote them just because. By all means anybody can vote how they like, nobody can stop it from happening, but it's fukking lame to have a little cry because in a playlist with 15 songs on average, about 3 each round are classic picks.

People are trying to pick based on theme, not what you're sick of hearing for whatever reason.

That's fukking retarded. Ratings should be based on how much you like it and theme accuracy etc. Otherwise downrate Entombed and Celtic Frost too as they're extremely well-known, at least be consistent in your salty cunt behaviour (whoever did it).

I am rating based on how much I like 'em. For the purpose of a mixtape, I like it less if it's extremely canonized metal 101 stuff that basically everyone on the forum will have heard. And I am being consistent. Entombed and CF are well-known but nowhere near to the same degree as Sabbath and Metallica.

Metallica - Call of Ktulu 8/10

This song is beautiful. I remember high school me use to wear my Ride the Lightening hoodie all the time and my music teacher and I became best buddies because he loved this album. He got me out of a lot of trouble. Sorta nostalgic listening to this.

Thergothon - Elemental 6/10
This was pretty good. It does drag a bit, but that's funeral doom.

Ironsword - Call of Cthulhu 7/10
I actually quite like this. It's not bad judging by the reviews I was expecting some lame stuff but this is fun. I also like the vocals as well. The music could do more, but this wasn't bad at all.

Catacomb - The Key 6/10
This starts out really fun. I love the opening riff and the overall "creepy" atmosphere it creates. It did get pretty boring though. I think the drummer is a little uninteresting for death metal. I'd have to hear more songs to decide if I like them.

Septic Flesh - Mystique Places of Dawn 5/10
This is better than a lot of the newer Septic Flesh I've heard. For some reason, I could never get into this band at all. It has a cool churchy thing going... Idk something with the vocals? The part at 3:11 is pretty cool. I don't like the vocals that follow though. This has to be one of the most inconsistent tracks, though. They'll do something good and turn around and do something weird.

Therion - Cthulhu 6.5/10
This was pretty cool.

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales 9/10
I love this track.

Varathron - The Tressrising of Nyarlathotep 10/10
I really like this band. I need to play them more. I have Untrodden Corridors of Hades, but haven't played it in awhile. I love the vocals, and the overall atmosphere. This rules. My favorite from this playlist.

Solstice - New Dark Age/The Sleeping Tyrant 5/10
I love this track, but I don't see how it's on theme. If someone could explain how it is, I'll change my rating. I looked it up, read the lyrics and still don't see it. The little narration at the beginning of the song from The Call of Cthulhu is not part of the lyrics, it's just the intro.

Soomdrag - Epitah the Master 7/10
Pretty cool.

Black Sabbath - Behind the Wall of Sleep 9/10
I love this song. The YT comments on this video are funny too. "Take your body to the COPS!"

Mekong Delta - Prophecy 8/10
I liked this a lot. I've heard of this band but never listened to them.

Root - The Old Ones 6/10
I don't really know. I need to listen to it again. It was okay for the most part though.

Entombed - Strangers Aeons 9/10
This is awesome.

Hemotoxin - The Shadow of Innsmouth 4/10

Was this band submitted before in another theme? Lots of cool ideas here, but the execution.... And it sounds metalcore at certain parts.

Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign 5/10
I associate this band with a poster here actually. I think this band is a little boring, to be honest.

I am rating based on how much I like 'em. For the purpose of a mixtape, I like it less if it's extremely canonized metal 101 stuff that basically everyone on the forum will have heard. And I am being consistent. Entombed and CF are well-known but nowhere near to the same degree as Sabbath and Metallica.

This is the boat I'm setting sail on too.

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu
kinda rolled my eyes at this choice, but a lovecraft list without metallica would be pretty weird i suppose - two of their best songs are lovecraft-themed. this is also arguably the most intelligently composed tune of their careers and works surprisingly well as an intro. 8/10

Thergothon - Elemental
one of the high points of funeral doom. taps into forces that pre-exist the petty concerns of humankind and will remain long after we've choked on an asteroid. humbling, meditative and mysterious music, and i like the, uh, windswept production even though it's probably objectively bad or whatever. i'm not sure this is lovecraftian in tone as such but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 9/10

Ironsword - Call of Cthulhu
listenable enough bit the verse/chorus are pretty rudimentary and i don't like the forced exoticism of the solo (nor the bland chuggachug underneath it). also the best riff is too blatantly candlemass-inspired innit. doesn't exactly scream lovecraft either even though it's lyrically on theme. 5/10

Catacomb - The Key
i picked 'nemesis' but i got in there too late, this one is great too though. i'm pleased some of you guys have got into this, it's fucking perfect for a lovecraft playlist. that's gotta be one of the most lovecraftian bass sounds i've ever heard. 9/10

Septic Flesh - Mystic Places of Dawn
it took me a while to get into this album and i totally get why some people wouldn't like it, but i'm not averse to some peaceville/melodeath influence so long as it's tasteful, as it is here. the mood is not only sustained effectively but developed through the course of the song via interrelated melodies 'n all that shite the anusites love, there's a sense of narrative to their compositions. they're not exactly my favourite of the more melodically inclined extreme metal bands but they're v cool. 8/10

Therion - Cthulhu
i tend to find them a little riff salady and bloated even in their classic era, and i'd shave at least a minute of this one in the name of economy, but it's always been one of their best. if you aren't digging the hell out of this pretty much instantly (the first 160 seconds or so are entirely fucking glorious, first tier shit), you probably garden uphill. 9/10

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
showing the rest how it's done. i adore every single second of this and it probably isn't even their best song, genius stuff that blows away virtually every act they influenced. rate this 10 or you're not even remotely morbid--in fact, you're lessbid! 10/10

Varathron - The Tressrising of Nyarlathotep
as a bit of a greek-sceptic i've always considered this one of the few really evocative and seductive tunes of the movement, possibly varathron's finest hour. not sure about that 'jump in the fire' style riff in the second half though lol 8/10

Solstice - New Dark Age/The Sleeping Tyrant
i personally rejected solstice due to lack of relevance so i can't in good conscience give this a 10, even though it's one of my all time favourite bands at the peak of their powers. 8/10

Soomdrag - Epitaph the Naster
not unlike septic flesh this has that understated, quietly haunting early melodeath quality i like. incredibly easy to place it in the late '90s, basically everything that sounds like this came out around then. i'm surprised i haven't heard of it actually. it may ultimately be a little dreary and slight, but i like it. 7/10

Black Sabbath - Behind the Wall of Sleep
easily the weakest song on the greatest album side of sabbath's career and one of the greatest in the history of music, which is no insult of course. ugh sabbath had the best fucking production jobs of basically anyone ever, this sounds so fucking good compared to everything else on the list. 8/10

Mekong Delta - Prophecy
i haven't heard this album in so long, and i wasn't as receptive to stuff like this back then. that said, this seems more direct than what i remember anyway, so it's not that far from my wheelhouse. i like how OTT it is, not sure about the chorus. 7/10

Root - The Old Ones
mixed bag, second half is better than the first. i'm still interested in exploring these guys post-HELL SYMPHONY. 6/10

Entombed - Strangers Aeons
the vocals and leadwork totally rescue this from the dreaded sunlight sound (and dreaded spectre of death 'n roll for that matter). 7/10

Hemotoxin - The Shadow Over Innsmouth
you probably have to like mid-late period death to get much out of this, and i tend not to. the melodeath riff is my favourite part. *shrug* 4/10

Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign
been too tired to write much for the last third, but this is a hell of a way to close what was a really enjoyable playlist. lives up to that magnificent cover art, and is exactly the kind of thing i traditionally go for. 9/10

Thergothon - Elemental
i'm not sure this is lovecraftian in tone as such but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 9/10
Your description of the music was right out of a Lovecraft story, especially the dreamy kind like "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and then finish with saying it doesn't sound lovecraftian? Make sense please. ;)

haha, well let it be clear that i'm far from a lovecraft completist, but the stuff i've read mostly had quite a lot of anxiety and a lurking malevolent presence and whatnot, whereas i find thergothon quite peaceful really. i can't exactly imagine it working as background music while i'm reading a lot of his stories, but maybe i haven't read the right ones.

haha, well let it be clear that i'm far from a lovecraft completist, but the stuff i've read mostly had quite a lot of anxiety and a lurking malevolent presence and whatnot, whereas i find thergothon quite peaceful really. i can't exactly imagine it working as background music while i'm reading a lot of his stories, but maybe i haven't read the right ones.
Have you read the earlier mentioned Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath (or any of the other stories featuring Randolph Carter)? It's more of a cosmic fantasy story than the lurking horror kind. Otherwise I would agree I guess.

When do you plan to end this? My friend has been here all weekend so I've not had time to rate them. I will probably be able to get my ratings in tomorrow evening.

Metallica - Call of Ktulu 7/10
This is is indeed great, not the best on the album but great nontheless. I subtract a few points though because I don't really feel the lovecraftian horrors here even though the name fits.

Thergothon - Elemental 10/10
One of my top 5 albums of all the time and maybe the best song from it, just a unique otherworldly sound that just oozes lovecraftian dream worlds and vast cyclopean vistas and plateaus of leng and whatnot. I love the melancholic guitar-melodies together with the soulcrushing heaviness.

Ironsword - Call of Cthulhu 5.5/10
I'm more the high pitched vocal guy when it comes to this style of music even if this isn't bad. Just abit to formulistic and uninspired. I don't really feel the lovecraft vibe here either.

Catacomb - The Key 8/10
I really think Lovecraft works best in abit more extreme metal and I really liked this, hadn't heard it before, but I love the atmosphere. The only thing I'm sold on is the vocals... and the album artwork in the video, way to ruin a dark omnious atmosphere with a gimic comic book superhero cthulhu.

Septic Flesh - Mystique Places of Dawn 6.5/10
I liked this too, but much more inconsistent, way to plow through idea after idea without restraint. Some parts was really good other parts less so.

Therion - Cthulhu 8/10
This album rules, better than their debut. Evil sounding and eerie as fuck. Fits the theme perfectly.

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales 10/10
Besides Bathory Celtic Frost is by far my favourite of the first wave bm bands. Not as good as the best songs from To Mega Therion but what is? I'm so morbid I have a Emperor's Return backpatch on my battle jacket. Can't give this any less than full score. :cool:

Varathron - The Tressrising of Nyarlathotep 9/10
Varathron is so good, the best bm band from Greece, sorry Zemial and Necromantia. Really cool atmosphere and I love the heavy metal influences in their music.

Solstice - New Dark Age/The Sleeping Tyrant 6/10
I mean I'm as big of a Solstice fanboy as the next guy but had i been New Dark Age II I would have given it atleast 8, now I feel as stated by most that it is a really cheap shot to submit this. One of the all time great epic doom album though.

Soomdrag - Epitah the Master 6.5/10
I do not mind this, I like the break in the middle even though it isn't very creative or groundbreaking.

Black Sabbath - Behind the Wall of Sleep 8/10
Black Sabbath sounds more eerie than almost every band on this playlist an does the occult dark and heavy metal sound so much better than anyone else ever.

Mekong Delta - Prophecy 6.5/10
I own the debut but never listened to this album before, pretty good, but I can't really see myself putting this on instead of Coroner.

Root - The Old Ones 8/10
I like the midpace. Makes the whole dark ritual for outer gods feel much more prominent. I think this is really on theme and great.

Entombed - Strangers Aeons 8/10
Entombed's best album and an awsome song. Probably abit too catchy for the Lovecraft theme but who cares, it rules!

Hemotoxin - The Shadow of Innsmouth 3/10

No this didn't work at all, annoying vocals and not very good music. Worst song on the playlist.

Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign 5/10
The cover art is indeed amazing but it didn't hold up to it at all actually. It felt pretty uninspired and boring, didn't really go anywhere and mostly dragged on. And with the band name and overall theme it feels too try hard.