Themed Mixtape Game

I just want to throw it out there that downrating songs for being "obvious" or "shoehorned in" in this particular theme is probably the worst excuse to downrate ever in any mixtape yet.

I'm really looking forward to rating this one, although I'm said that Metal Church and Cirith Ungol didn't make it in.

Reactions: Caecius
I expected Blitzkrieg.

My favorite song that didn't make it in is X Japan - X, though I'm not sure there are many (any) here who love that song as much as I do. In any case, I got my first pick so I can't complain.

I predict the winner of this round will be a band with a name that consists of two five-letter words.

Pagan Altar
...from beyond the stars...
10/10

Carnivore
Didn't think this'd be a band that would show up in every single mixtape... not that I'm complaining. A very purposeful eponymous track that elucidates the meaning of the band's name. I thought they were literal meat eaters.
6/10

Sortilège
I'm really glad this made it in 'cause it's an amazing eponymous track that absolutely belongs in the company of giants like Angel Witch and Pagan Altar. If I was being nitpicky I guess I could complain that the verse riff is kinda bland but with a vocal performance this great who the hell cares.
9/10

Gorgoroth
9/10

Saint Vitus
Love the part where the backing vocals chant the song name all submerged in this suffocating bassy sound, love the intro, actually I love all the parts, best song on the album after The Psychopath (sorry Burial).
10/10

White Wizzard
7/10

Aspid
8/10

Iron Maiden
I knew this would make it in, but it's not something I'd have picked myself unless I was really starved for ideas. It's pretty good but I always thought it was a lesser Di'Anno era song.
7/10

Skyclad
6/10

Pentagram
7/10

Fog of War
I bought Fallout 4 during the latest steam sale. It's a lot of fun and so is this song.
7/10

Manowar
6/10

Nyktalgia
This is actually pretty good for DSBM but jesus christ 11½ minutes. If you submit a song that long I'm going to hold it to higher standards and this doesn't meet them. It's also a huge fucking speedbumb in a playlist that was thus far very energetic.
5/10

Angel Witch
10/10

Dream Death
8/10

Dark Quarterer
The final iteration of the chorus is the greatest fucking thing ever. Also nice bookending here, starting the mixtape with the lines "dawning of a brand new day" and ending on a song about the final hours of the night. Intentional?
17/10

Last edited:
Pagan Altar - 8/10, pure untrammeled doom badassery.
Carnivore - 7/10, great track, but a little lacking energetically for what it seems to be trying to affect.
Sortilège - 9/10, fiery Steve Grimmett-esque wails that elevate this song to greatness.
Gorgoroth - 10/10, an utter classic in black metal.
Saint Vitus - 9/10, more amazing doom metal.
White Wizzard - 8/10, absolutely thunderous and slick sound, love it.
Aspid - 10/10, Based on that guitar solo alone, you are legally required to surrender your penis license if you rated this any less.
Iron Maiden - 8/10, classic Maiden, but not awfully extraordinary like some of the other things on the album.
Skyclad - 5/10, not bad, but way too protracted for what it is.
Pentagram - 8/10, it's Pentagram fool, enough said.
Fog of War - 9/10, The guitar intro feels a little Malmsteen-ish, then this thing explodes. Twice. First with the guitars and drums, then with the double high-pitched ring wraith shriek. Love it. Did I mention war never changes?
Manowar - 8/10, classic Manowar.
Nyktalgia - 7/10, lengthy but eminently epic black metal.
Angel Witch - 10/10, Quintessential NWOBHM savagery.
Dream Death - 8/10, savage and pounding.
Dark Quarterer - 8/10, swaying and furious, I feel like I'm on pirate ship sailing through a huge storm.

i keep thinking of more that nobody's mentioned, like at the gates and overkill and motherfuckin' cloven hoof. there's been nowhere near enough NWOBHM representation in this game so far imo.

At the Gates haven't been in at all yet. Waiting for the correct theme to submit something from TRitSiO or the better songs on WFIKtBD. I think musically that TRitSiO fit for the mental illness theme, that album sounds fucking deranged and manic.

I'll rate this tomorrow but I just gave a quick listen to some tracks I'm not very familiar with. That Sortilège track kicked my ass. Amazing vocals.

Last edited: