Themed Mixtape Game

Anyone who thinks

sounds like

has broken ears. And you should honestly get your hearing checked.

i missed this post before, but i already said that song wasn't one of the better examples (and that i don't consider it one of the best 10 songs on this list for that matter). if you didn't have a history of shitting on the band in general i doubt i'd have commented on you downrating this particular song.

To Baroque, real metal is pop and shitty technical wankfest over-produced sub-sub-sub-genre'd into hell crap that barely resembles anything classic is metal. Big shocker.

Next.

To CIG real metal is verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus? What is a pop song structure then? That Angel Witch song and Manowar song are absolute radio metal garbage. If that's "real metal" then count me out, I'll take Aspid any day over all of that.

There is no music more complex (or beautiful) than baroque music. Try to hear all 3 melodies at the same time, here there's even a visualizer to help.

Then.. try that with a fugue in 4 parts. Bach wrote up to 6 melodies simultaneously in fugue.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
'angel witch' is very poppy but no less great for it. i was never sold on the little lead squeals they throw in at the end of certain lines in the verses (i.e. at "i adore"), but other than that it's flawless. what always strikes me is how pure it is, so unfiltered by excess baggage or ego, so expressive and infectious as a result. so many little decisions work, e.g. the vocal for 'shadow of the moon', or that keyboard/whatever fade-in at the end of the bridge, or the way they hold that high note through the third chorus to add tension, then drop it off again for half the football chorus (which is supremely silly but too fun to hate on) before bringing in a lower note, again at the perfect time. regardless of the simplicity of the overall song structure there's just masterful and really quite subtle tension and release stuff going on in that song. i think the best thing about it might be the bass though, i can't imagine how it could possibly do more to bring out feeling in the rest of the instruments. a pop epic it may be, but an epic nonetheless, moreso than a lot of songs with two or three times the length.

...and it still isn't my favourite on the playlist.

Sortilege - 5/10 Decent but I have no idea what's going on vocally or lyrically. It's a bit annoying that they keep singing their own name like a Pokemon.

Well, unless you're something of a fluent French speaker, I very much doubt you'll have much of an idea of the lyrics' meaning. Vocally, it's some top-tier NWOBHM quasi-operatic vocal gymnastics, very akin to say Steve Grimmett in tone.

Pagan Altar
One of their best early songs.
10/10

Carnivore
Thrash metal with a sense of humour, somehow it worked even though other bands ended up being goofy and lame.
6/10

Sortilège
Very bombastic.
8/10

Gorgoroth
Never been a big fan. Vocalist makes up for the rest of what I don't like.
5/10

Saint Vitus
One of my favourite bands, one of my favourite albums. Drown in my bias, you swine.
10/10

White Wizzard
It's okay. I preferred High Speed G.T.O. though.
6/10

Aspid
Very interesting! It's as if someone listened to nothing but Sadus and Coroner and then dropped LSD before recording.
7/10

Iron Maiden
Agree with Vegard Pompey here.
8/10

Skyclad
Pretty good, not the best Skyclad era though.
7/10

Sign Of The Wolf (Pentagram)
"Can't turn back now!" This is absolutely my thing until the day I die.
10/10

Fog of War
Not bad. Cool artwork.
6/10

Manowar
Humble beginnings, fairly forgettable album overall but this is from the b-side, aka the best side. Still, this is what real men listen to when they're kicking the ass of someone that said "light beer is better."
8/10

Nyktalgia
Boo-hoo metal that actually made me suicidal by the end. Time to kill myself via alcoholism, this could take awhile.
4/10

Angel Witch
This is going to be stuck in my head all day now. Legendary album, very catchy song, like a grinning door-greeter luring you into something unexpected.
9/10

Dream Death
Video unavailable, searched for alternatives but nothing. Had to dig my fucking CD out to rate it.
8/10

Dark Quarterer
No words. Masterpiece.
10/10

Really enjoyable playlist, wish I could have submitted something. I had some good ideas.
I was too late!

There is no music more complex (or beautiful) than baroque music. Try to hear all 3 melodies at the same time, here there's even a visualizer to help.

Then.. try that with a fugue in 4 parts. Bach wrote up to 6 melodies simultaneously in fugue.

Ah, good ole G key. G minor for Bach though, what can I say, man liked his minor keys. There's a reason Keith Richards tunes his guitar in open G more than any other tuning. Because it's one of the most tonally vibrant, colorful keys you can use. And it rends the fucking air.

Reactions: Baroque
I can't understand the hate for Gorgoroth though. Infernus' sense of melody in his guitar work is unbelievable, the drumming takes some serious virtuosity to nail, and the vocals are some of the most superb gutturally-affected vocals period.

most people prefer PENTAGRAM but i absolutely adore that gorgoroth album, maybe even moreso.

i love bach btw. i wish i could play some on piano but i struggle enough with fucking nobuo uematsu stuff lol. i studied the second brandenburg concerto to absolute death in high school and it's just permanently burned into my brain even though i haven't heard it in forever now. next time i hear it i'll probably get some kind of weird flashback.