Themed Mixtape Game

It's so fucking stupid trying to prove anything to anyone. I used to hate trad metal until I actually fucking listened to some of it, it's really all up to the person not to be a whiny bitch and go get into the music, I use to hate black metal, same thing happened with it

So you have to like Manowar if you're a fan of Bathory(especially his earlier work)? Lol wut? Talk about not making any sense.

i was talking only about his 'viking'-era work, do try to keep up. not saying you have to like them both to the same extent, it's just weird to love one and hate the other, 'less you have some overarching bias against clean vocals or something. it's also weird to deny there's a whole load of overlap between them.

What are you crying about now?

Its like you're constantly trying to prove something by praising some of the shittiest artwork in all of metaldom. Like you're trying to rack up some kind of imaginary "uber_troo" points or something. Hilarious.

Honestly though, how in the fuck is this good?
Front.jpg

I like what they were trying to do, only if they found someone who could have executed it properly. Instead they found a 10 year old trying to display his crayola skills. Easily one of the shittiest album covers in all of my disc collection.

The riffs are completely different, it doesn't force-feed the listener "atmosphere" through 10+ minute songs, the drumming is more dynamic, and overall it doesn't sound anything like any other classic black metal album unless you want to point something out to me.

I think Burzum's S/T, early Darkthrone, and the first Immortal albums are good/great too btw.

First of all, I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning behind some of your opinions.

While I think all the early Norwegian bands had their own somewhat unique sound to some extent, I don't think that DMDS is significantly different enough from a lot of black metal to think it's great and the others are shitty. A song like "Pagan Fears" builds atmosphere through subtle manipulations of its main riff and repetition, a hallmark of lots of black metal.

"The riffs are completely different"

Some of them perhaps, but it's full of those tremolo melodies featured in a huge amount of black metal, many of which are directly influenced by this record (or more likely, earlier versions of songs that ended up on here). I find these riffs to mainly be vehicles for creating the dark and creepy atmosphere, again like a lot of what the genre aims for.

"it doesn't force-feed the listener "atmosphere" through 10+ minute songs"

Ok, so what? Plenty of black metal doesn't do this. You didn't initially mention Emperor, the songs on the Emperor EP, and ItNE have similar lengths to DMDS tracks. The first 3 Gorgoroth records are full of short, to the point tracks, but you think they're terrible.

"the drumming is more dynamic"

Compared to what? Transilvanian Hunger? I don't think this is valid, DMDS is still extremely heavy on the blasting. Hell, my 2 favourite tracks (the last 2) are pretty much just straight up blasting for the duration.

What do you think of the early Greek bands like Rotting Christ, Necromantia and Varathron. I'd consider them to be quite riffy black metal.

Last edited:
Hold on ... hyped? Fog of War? I dont remember anything like that. Not even remotely closed to being hyped.

Yeah, not as much as Diamond Plate or Mutant, but it seemed like a lot of people (a lot defined as more than, I dunno, 4) were rooting for them.

EDIT: I'll reply to the above in a few hours, at school right now waiting for a package to arrive.

Reactions: Phylactery
"At school right now waiting for package to arrive..." The mailman just arrives every day in the middle of HBB's 5th period to give him all his mail. Seems legit.

Holy fucking shit. How in the actual the fuck is this real? This is an actual concert happening in my state. I just creamed my pants hard enough to destroy the Richter scale.

image.jpg

Pagan Altar 9/10
Production on this rules so much. Probably the best Pagan Altar album, although I like them all.

Carnivore 6/10

This band again? Why have they been on 3 of these playlists? Wtf at those moans towards the end. Intro riff was the best part.

Sortilege 8.5/10

This kicked my ass. Absolutely amazing vocals. Rating could go up as I become more familiar with it.

Gorgoroth 9.5/10

This band's first 3 albums are fantastic and this is one of my favourite songs from them. Pretty much everything I love about black metal is here.

Saint Vitus 9/10

More classic Vitus.

White Wizzard 7/10

Never heard anything by this band before. I enjoyed this quite a bit, not amazing but pretty solid heavy metal.

Aspid 8/10

Fuck, I've never heard this either. Riffs for days and great vocals.

Iron Maiden 7.5/10

Piece of Mind and Powerslave are my favouirte Maiden albums, but I can still appreciate this.

Skyclad 7.5/10

Need to look more into this band, I enjoyed this.

Pentagram 9/10

Another classic doom band, love this.

Fog of War 6/10

I didn't mind this. Vocals were probably the worst part. Failed to leave a lasting impression like a lot of thrash does with me.

Manowar 8.5/10

Fuck yeah, it's Manowar. Fun as Hell.

Nyktalgia 5.5/10

These vocals were kinda grating at times. I wouldn't mind this if it wasn't so long because it's not bad for the genre.

Angel Witch 9/10

Cult NWOBHM, awesome song.

Dream Death 9/10

Props to whoever submitted this, legendary album.

Dark Quarterer 9.5/10

My favourite on this list along with the Gorgoroth track. Epic.

Last edited:
I'd personally go with Mercyful Fate, but Sortilège is definitely way up there man. They were Chuck Schuldiner's favorite band for a reason.

Its like you're constantly trying to prove something by praising some of the shittiest artwork in all of metaldom. Like you're trying to rack up some kind of imaginary "uber_troo" points or something. Hilarious.

Honestly though, how in the fuck is this good?
Front.jpg

I like what they were trying to do, only if they found someone who could have executed it properly. Instead they found a 10 year old trying to display his crayola skills. Easily one of the shittiest album covers in all of my disc collection.

I like it, it's cool.