Tool 10,000 Days

I have nothing but respect for Tool...but...I just find them kinda boring and the new album is the strongest example of that. I call it "lounge" metal! Porcupine Tree does this kind of thing much better these days, IMO. Tool does put on a good show, though.

zmetallica said:
BUT for being nevermore fans we should know that the guys in tool can't compare in anyway with what nevermore does.

I completely disagree with this statement. Tool and Nevermore are extremely different styles of heavy music and to compare them to each other in any way, shape, or form is just foolish.

I love Nevermore to death, but they have their formulas just like any other band. Have you listened to a ballad by Nevermore recently?

Edit: That's not meant to be a negative remark at all. Nevermore has a definite sound and layout for their ballads, but they remain to become more and more remarkable, for the most part. If a band can use a formula for their music and do it well, then it is just as impressive as recreating their sound.

At A Glance..............Thats like 18 thumbs up for Tool
and four down...fuck I'll take thoes odds anyday ..great opinions ..even the negatives.. although some could have made a better argument then "Tool Blows" ect...but I respect your opinion too :lol: indeed

SSJ4SephirothX said:
I haven't heard the album yet but look forward to it. I think Tool is underrated by dipshits. They're actually a great band with awesome song writing techniques. Though, the guitars might not be technical enough for peoples' liking, the song structures are technical enough for people who are muscially inclined. Plus, Danny Carey fucking kicks ass.
The guitarist is fucking talented as hell. One of the most sonicly unique guitarist ever. You should know that steve! But if you mean just doesn't choose to shred which most people who don't know about music think is the most talented thing ever than i get what you're saying.

To the kid who said something about daney carey doing the same beats and not being talented..you don't know shit. as a drummer he's fucking insane and thats all there is to it.

BlueSky said:
The guitarist is fucking talented as hell. One of the most sonicly unique guitarist ever. You should know that steve! But if you mean just doesn't choose to shred which most people who don't know about music think is the most talented thing ever than i get what you're saying.

To the kid who said something about daney carey doing the same beats and not being talented..you don't know shit. as a drummer he's fucking insane and thats all there is to it.
good:)

metalskater7 said:
Wow, big on Dream Theater and Tool? Are you one of those boring and dragged out musical feeling elitists? Just curious...

Honestly, I'm starting to lose faith in Dream Theater. After listening to them since 1992, I have seen them get better and then worse. They may be just experimenting with new sounds and writing ideas.

NP: Arch Enemy - Shadows and Dust

"I call it "lounge" metal! Porcupine Tree does this kind of thing much better these days, IMO" - thats kinda what my point has been this whole time, thanks for someone agreeing with me. and for me this isn't enjoyable or takes a remarkable amount of talent, its more doing it for the enjoyment of it for the creator. they make a landscape that is a form of expression.

"To the kid who said something about daney carey doing the same beats and not being talented..you don't know shit. as a drummer he's fucking insane and thats all there is to it." - actually i DO know what i'm talking about. everyone in tool has little talent. is this a bad thing? no not really. together they are a good band. lately they've been lacking on the songwriting end, but they can still put out a few enjoyable songs. in fact the drummer in my band who is a really big tool fan, more so than i am, is the one that pointed all this out to me. he said the album was a big disappointment. but then again i knew most of this stuff, just wasn't noticing it. tool does a lot of time changes in their music and other stuff that prog elitests would think mean you have talent. unfortunately i don't know about that. most of what i write involves many time changes and i play them just fine. its a flow of time and the feel of the music.

also i don't think tool and nevermore are THAT different. they both have progressive elements to them and they both have thrash roots. BUT thats where tool started, they have now drifted towards experimental and ""lounge" metal". nothing wrong with this for those who like this sort of stuff, i don't really. i like to hear music. also another friend whose a big tool fan said similar thoughts as mine.

and honestly, the first time i listened to it, i loved it. after the 2nd listen, i realized how little music there was on it. after the third i started realizing the rehashes of older songs. all this crap degrades the music. the only way i could somewhat enjoy this album is if it were background music and played as a full album. thats not how i listen to my music. i like it in the foreground and in random song order.

oh and SSJ4SephirothX: dream theater "sold out". their latest record was geared to a pop audience before that it was more towards a nu-metal crowd. they just take a genre and put their own spin on it. nothing really 'wrong' with this, but i feel less and less they are listening to themselves and more to producers and record label executives. the album before that (that degrees album) they ripped off tool a good amount. of course that album also had some good songs, but not on the level of their older stuff... you know where they ripped off rush. but hey, thats what its about ripping off other artists and turning it into your own enough so you don't run into copyright problems and hope people will like you. also the singer is over rated. i didn't really realize it til i went to guitar center and opened up a transcription of his vocal line. it was mostly one note lol.

zmetallica said:
maybe YOU should listen closer. i don't think they are talentless, hell far better than half the other shit out there. BUT for being nevermore fans we should know that the guys in tool can't compare in anyway with what nevermore does. unless you are talking about the album as a whole and the (easy to do) process of making mood music with nearly silence.

for your info i've listened to the whole thing about 5 times which was more than enough for me.

the guitarist seems to have gotten slightly better, but eh. most of the songs don't show any progression, just spitting out the same songs over and over again. gets tiring. but hey, some people love that.

Shame on you. How could you compare Nevermore to Tool? So you're saying because Tool isn't as massively complex musically, as far as Nevermore's depth and layering of sound, that they aren't as good musically? Maybe they favor their style because it's condusive to that empty heartbeat sound they have. That's why they're haunting.

Maharet said:
what Tool is doing now is very similar to what Pink Floyd once did...id say they are the new Pink Floyd...

I was totally thinking that the other day. Theyre doing the really psychedelic thing that Floyd did, and they do it well.

When I first heard the new album, I didnt really know what to think, its extremely different. Now I love it though! Im a fan of the pot, and yea, the packaging rules too!

Also, I just got back from the concert in seattle. Best show Ive ever been to in my life I would have to say.

NinjaKitten said:
Also, I just got back from the concert in seattle. Best show Ive ever been to in my life I would have to say.

It was a special night. I'm glad to have been there!

zmetallica said:
"To the kid who said something about daney carey doing the same beats and not being talented..you don't know shit. as a drummer he's fucking insane and thats all there is to it." - actually i DO know what i'm talking about. everyone in tool has little talent. is this a bad thing? no not really. together they are a good band. lately they've been lacking on the songwriting end, but they can still put out a few enjoyable songs. in fact the drummer in my band who is a really big tool fan, more so than i am, is the one that pointed all this out to me. he said the album was a big disappointment. but then again i knew most of this stuff, just wasn't noticing it. tool does a lot of time changes in their music and other stuff that prog elitests would think mean you have talent. unfortunately i don't know about that. most of what i write involves many time changes and i play them just fine. its a flow of time and the feel of the music.
sorry! let me redirect this. Your drummer doesnt know shit!

NinjaKitten said:
I was totally thinking that the other day. Theyre doing the really psychedelic thing that Floyd did, and they do it well.

When I first heard the new album, I didnt really know what to think, its extremely different. Now I love it though! Im a fan of the pot, and yea, the packaging rules too!

The pot reminds me of undertow. I love it.

And if you think he's talentless based on what someone else tells you, I feel REALLY sorry for you.

Tool are incredible, I can understand how folks parallel them to Pink Floyd. Both bands explored a huge soundscape, underpinned by heavy grooves yet as free as a bird.

I'm a whore for Syd Barrett, Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of my favourite albums ever. Gilmour can eat me :p