Top 15 cd's of 2009!!!

Wherewolf

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2008
Since the year is nearly done Here are my top 15 releases (metal, hard rock only). I figured 10 was not enough and 20 was too much. In no particular order:
1) Southern Cross "Down Below"
2) Athem "The Extended Mind"
3) Persefone "Shin-Ken"
4) Leprous "Tall Poppy Syndrome"
5) Animations "Reset Your Soul"
6) Future's End "Memoirs..."
7) Ashent "Deconstructive"
8) The Beneath "City Of Lights"
9) Illusion Suite "Final Hour"
10) Silent Memorial "Retrospective"
11) Scar Symmetry "Dark Matter Dimensions"
12) Sacrum "Days Of Quarantine"
13) Status Minor "Dialog"
14) Circle Of Contempt "Artifacts In Motion"
15) Redemption "Snowfall..."

Here's my prelim list .. there could be a little movement yet before the end of the year.

1 Redemption - Snowfall On Judgement Day
2 Amorphis - Skyforger
3 Red Circuit - Homeland
4 Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
5 Wolf - Ravenous
6 Megadeth - Endgame
7 Voyager - I Am The ReVolution
8 Slough Feg - Ape Uprising
9 Vangough - Manakin Parade
10 Lion's Share - Dark Hours
11 Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous
12 Novembers Doom - Into Night's Requiem Infernal
13 Pathosray - Sunless Skies
14 Mastadon - Crack The Skye
15 Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions

Britt

1. Future's End - Memories of a Broken Man (ALBUM OF THE YEAR)
2. Mely - Portrait of a Porcelain Doll
3. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
4. Narnia - Course of a generation
5. DSO - Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious
6. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
7. Illusion Suite - Final Hour
8. Delain - April Rain
9. Edgend - A New Identity
10. Spheric Universe Experience - Unreal
11. Loch Vostok - Reveal No Secrets
12. Vangough - Manakin Parade
13. Voyager - I am the revolution
14. Pathosray - Sunless Skies
15. Ten Man Push - S/T (yea i know it came out in late 2007 but i just found it for sale)

Here's my list:

1) Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel
2) The Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
3) Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
4) Lion's Share - Dark Hours
5) Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
6) Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
7) Winger - Karma
8) Inmoria - Invisible Wounds
9) Paradox - Riot Squad
10) Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
11) DGM - FrAme
12) Megadeth - Endgame
13) Redemption - Snowfall On Judgement Day
14) Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions
15) Katatonia - Night Is The New Day

:kickass:

Edit: Wow. I just picked up While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose and it is awesome. It should definitely be on my list.

More than 15 but will be parred down to top 10...

Ashent - Deconstructive
Astra - From Within
Athem - The Extended Mind
DGM - FrAme
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Equal Vector - Transparency
Floodline - Beneath the Waves
Forgotten Suns - Innergy
IcyCore - evol
Last Warning - Throughout Time
Masterstroke - As Days Grow Darker
Mind Key - Pulse for a Graveheart
Mind Odyssey - Time to Change It
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
Silent Memorial- Retrospective
Southern Cross - Down Below
Status Minor - Dialog
Tribe - Pray for Calm...Need the Chaos
Veloce Hystoria - Shining & Majestic

I posted this list on another forum (PM:X) already, but I guess it fits in here as well :)

1. REDEMPTION – Snowfall On Judgment Day

By far my most-listened-to-disc–of-the-year, and in my honest opinion, the best progressive metal album since Dream Theater released “Images & Words”. Yes, I’m biased on this being the bands manager, but it really is the best album of the year to me. The melodies are fantastic, the playing is phenomenal and Ray’s voice has just grown stronger and more emotional than ever. Nick is THE best songwriter in prog metal!

2. TORI AMOS – Abnormally Attracted To Sin

It’s TORI!!! Whenever she releases an album it will end up in my Top 3, that’s just how it is. No need to argue that one :)

3. ORPHANED LAND – The Never Ending Way Of OrWarrior

I’ve only had this album for a few week now, but I’ve been listening to it constantly. It picks up where they left us five years ago with “Mabool” and add even more of the middle-eastern folklore this time around. It might not be as progressive as it’s predecessor, or have as much death metal elements in it, but it has some fantastic acoustic passages, some new gothic rock elements, and just flows in a way only these guys can make an album flow. There’s no doubt in my mind that I’ll be spinning this more than any other 2009 album save the first two mentioned over the years to come.

(note: since this doesn't really count as a 2009 album, feel free to move my entire list one up, and I'll just repost this next year, hehe)

4. LEPROUS – Tall Poppy Syndrome

These guys make me so proud being their manager. From Norway comes a young band of great musicians creating a mixture that just can’t be labeled as either “prog”, “metal”, “rock”, “death”, “black” or whatever. There’s so much stuff going on and I truly believe that in a few years this band will be huge!

5. DREDG – The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

I love this disc, I really do. Whenever I’m in my car, this is the CD I reach for. From the get-go you know that you’re getting an album that doesn’t just appeal to the hip young alternative rock crowd, but also has something in it for the pop fan, the prog rock fan and even something for the artsy people. It’s a “feel-good” album.

6. CANDLEMASS – Death Magic Doom

Perhaps their darkest and heaviest album since “Ancient Dreams”, and that’s definitely a compliment for a band who’s delivered a ton of great albums over the years.

7. MASTODON – Crack The Skye

I honestly never cared enough to check out this band previous to “Crack The Skye”, but the heavy promotion machine dragged me in and I gave it a listen on their myspace page, decided to buy it, and have become a fan of the band after that.

8. DREAM THEATER – Black Clouds & Silver Linings
As many have said already, this might be their best album in many years. With the previous album (“Systematic Chaos”) they showed that they were heading the right way back to a style of music that once made them what they are, and in my opinion “Black Clouds…” is absolutely the best album we could expect from them in 2009.

9. FKU – Where Moshers Dwell

THRASH!!!!! This is exactly what that whole genre is all about. Energy, passion, aggression and fun! I really want to put on my Bermuda shorts with the Anthrax logo on and start moshing around the living room. I’m pretty sure though that the hair salon below wouldn’t appreciate ;)

10. OBSCURA – Cosmogenesis

Death, Cynic, Atheist, Pestilence etc all mixed together in one ass-kicking tech-death metal release. Fantastic musicianship and great songwriting channeling the old heroes of the genre and infusing their own little jazz-weirdness here and there!

11. PERSEFONE – Shin-Ken

Every time I listen to this album I get so upset about all the bad luck this band has had. First their previous label in Europe collapsed and we’ve been searching forever for a new label (finally got that in place these past weeks), and then their Japanese label who actually did release this disc in the summer also collapsed. Arghhh… With that said, this album is a must for anyone who likes the prog-death of Opeth or loves the old school guitar-hero antics of Cacophony. Oh, and we just announced that the band will go on a European tour as direct support to Obituary ... I guess we're back on track ;)

12. SLOUGH FEG – Ape Uprising

This is probably the closest we’ll get to a band taking on the good old Thin Lizzy feeling these days. Yes, it’s more “doomy” and “power metal” but it’s just awesome! There’s even a bit of Twisted Sister sound to some of the songs (especially the vocals), which totally makes it a unique listening experience.

13. WINGER – Karma

My #1 melodic hard rock disc of the year. The song “Supernova” is brilliant, and Kip Winger sounds better than ever. From a band that was once made fun of by most everyone in the metal scene, this album is a total asskicker.

14. SHADOW GALLERY – Digital Ghosts
I didn’t have high expectations for this considering that Mike Baker wasn’t there anymore, but the band struggled through the sad circumstances and delivered a very strong prog-metal album, which really sits well with their other outputs. It’s not “Carved In Stone” or “Tyranny”, but it’s a better album than “Room V”, and the new vocalist(s) fits perfectly in.

15. THE BENEATH – City Of Light

An independent band releasing one of the best modern-tech-metal albums, somewhere along the lines of Protest The Hero, Between The Buried & Me or DEP. It’s sooooo sad that the band has decided to split up now, as I would have loved to see where they could take this music on a new album. Go to CD Baby and order this disc NOW! It’s definitely worth it!

16. X-JAPAN – Jade

Okay, so this is not even recorded in the studio yet. It is just one new song that X-JAPAN played live at their Japanese shows, but it’s AWESOME! I love X-JAPAN and everything they’ve done, so it’s a given that I love this song too. It kind of have the same feeling that their 2008 song “I.V.” had, a touch of modern rock and not as power metallic as their old material. I can’t wait till they finally get a new album out.

17. THE DEAR HUNTER – Act III

The whole “alternative-prog-rock” genre is booming these days with great bands such as Mew, Dredg, Coheed & Cambria, Three (3) and The Dear Hunter. This album is wonderful and has sooo many layers of great music. It’s not as “easy-listening” as t.ex. Dredg or C&C, but it has something else that sets it apart – a conceptual vision behind it all.

18. ARTILLERY – When Death Comes

These guys are old friends of mine, and I am very biased when it comes to this band, but “When Death Comes” is one of the very best thrash metal discs this year (only being beaten by FKU). I’ve not warmed up 100% to the new singer yet, but I’m getting there. Still, this album is classic Artillery music, and the Stutzer brothers are some of the best guitarists for this style of music.

19. RAM – Lightbringer

Pure old school HEAVY METAL! There’s so much awesomeness to be found here if you’re a fan of old power bands like Omen, Helstar, Accept, Mercyful Fate, etc.

20. TENET – Sovereign

Aggressive THRASH metal featuring Steve Zetro Souza (ex-Exodus) on vocals!!! This is like the ultimate mixture of Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Forbidden and hints of death metal here and there. It’s BRUTAL!!!

1 Sacrifice- The Ones I Condemn
2 Slayer- World Painted Blood
3 Candlemass -Death Magic Doom
4 Paradox- Riot Squad
5 Nightmare- Insurrection
6 Samael- Above
7 Cannibal Corpse- Evisceration Plague
8 Bloodbound- Tabula Rasa
9 Cage- Science Of Annihilation
10 Lazarus A.D.- The Onslaught
11 Mantic Ritual- Executioner
12 Riverside- Anno Domini High Definition
13 Heaven And Hell- The Devil You Know
14 Immortal- All Shall Fall
15 Asphyx- Death ... The Brutal Way
16 Artillery- One Foot In The Grave, The Other One In The Trash
17 At War- Infidel
18 O.S.I.- Blood
19 Rebellion- Arise: From Ginnungagap To Ragnarök
20 Redemption- Snowfall On Judgment Day

THANK YOU FOR THIS TOPIC!

I'm not ready to post my list, but every year I always read so many band topics in the forum, say, "I gotta get that!" Then I get busy, forget, then later can't remember which CD's I just knew were "must haves". This is thread is a great resource for filling in the holes in my library.

Weird format, but here is mine copied from where it was originally posted:

"Well, it's getting to be about that time, casting away 2009 and bringing in 2010. With that said, I think it is safe enough to say that this year has been a killer year for metal, with some majorly hard hitting releases destroying my ears since January. I have assembled my top 10 list of the year, which I do reserve the right to change around if something comes out in the next month and a half that is going to kick my ass, but I am not aware of anything on the horizon that quickly.

10.) Candlemass – Death Magic Doom. I haven’t listened to this album in a couple of months because my attention has been held by many of the other albums in this list, being that this was an early year release, but don’t think I have forgotten about it. It’s definitely a great album, Rob (Lowe, vocals) cementing himself as one of the best, if not the best vocalists in doom metal and metal period. I really enjoyed this album.

9.) Devin Townsend – Ki. This type of album is typically not my thing, as he is definitely in touch with his more melodic side with this one. I could compare it to Opeth – Damnation, but at the same time, they aren’t even in the same ballpark. It is definitely a step away from Ziltoid, or anything he did with Strapping Young Lad. It is the first of 4 concept albums that were written all at the same time. This one came out in April of this year, Addicted in November. This is a very mellow, calming album, never really resembling any of the heavier stuff that Devy has been known for, but definitely throwing back to his more melodic albums. If I like it, with all of that in mind, it must be quite good.

8.) Megadeth – Endgame. I have been waiting on this album for quite a while after hearing “Headcrusher” some time ago. That song, although the lyrics were a little cheesy, reminded me of the Megadeth of old. It grabbed me and I wanted badly to hear more. Well, the album finally came out and I was not disappointed. Aside from a couple of weaker songs on the album, notably “Bite the Hand” and “The Right To Go Insane”, which I didn’t like, are easily made up for by “Endgame” (about the FEMA death camps, etc… VERY interesting stuff), “This Day We Fight”, and quite a few others. Now, Megadeth has pretty much stuck to the same equation, give or take a little, for about the last decade and a half. I will say though, with this release, Dave has assembled a killer line up, with the addition of guitar virtuoso Chris Broderick. Easily the best guitarist Dave has had to dual with since Marty. So yes, while this is not the best Megadeth album ever written, it is, in my opinion, the best he has done since Rust In Peace.

7.) Týr – By The Light of The Northern Star. I could not have called myself a Týr fan until this album came out. It isn’t that I disliked them, it’s just I never had a fleeting interest in pursuing this band’s albums to listen to. Well that all changed at Progpower when Glenn announced that he had them booked for next year and the song “Hold The Heathen Hammer High” was playing over the loudspeaker during the video. The song was fucking great! So I got the album and have been listening to it on regular rotation every since. I’m stoked to see them at Progpower next year now, as they look like they would be a fun band to see live.

6.) Paradox – Riot Squad. Yet another band, like Týr that wasn’t really familiar with until they got announced for Progpower next year. Riot Squad is very much a power metal and thrash album all rolled into one. It’s very speedy, and definitely right up my alley in terms of my interests, musically. I have been listening to this cd quite a bit since I got it and got a few of their back catalog. It seems that they had a change of direction after their 2nd or 3rd album. They were mainly kind of the early EARLY Helloween brand of German thrash and then developed their sound, and almost a completely new band, give or take a member or two, and became this power/thrash/speed metal band that I described above. Honestly, I like the new era of Paradox more than I do their 80’s/early 90’s stuff. Will be fun to see how they translate live.

5.) Kreator – Hordes of Chaos. Kreator has done it again. I feel that they are getting better with every release for the past 10 years, which is saying something because I LOVE Violent Revolution. This album is no exception. It’s angry, violent, and extremely aggressive. The lyrics to Hordes of Chaos make me want to punch someone in the head when Mille starts screaming “Everyone against everyone, against everyone, against everyone!” Damn near every song on this album is as brutal as the last and it just sonically rips you from limb to limb. I finally got to see them live earlier this year (I have a long standing history with getting fucked out of seeing Kreator at the last minute) and they did not disappoint, playing all of my favorites from this album and their back catalog.

4.) Futures End – Memoirs of a Broken Man. I did not know what to expect at all when I heard that my buddy Christian had formed this band. Hell, to be honest, until about 6 months ago, I didn’t even know he played guitar. So, I had been talking to Lance (King, owner of Nightmare Records, and singer for several high caliber bands) about this release when I was helping him sell some merch at Minnesota Metal Fest this past September, and he handed me a copy of it. It hadn’t come out yet, wasn’t due out for almost another month, but he wanted me to take it home and listen to it. Am I glad I did. Holy shit, this album is brilliant! And no, Christian can’t play the guitar, no, he should probably go to jail for guitar molestation, as he was going up and down on his fret board in ways that I didn’t know were possible. Marc (Patterson, guitars) and Christian compliment each other perfectly, with Marc really laying down some tasty riffs as well throughout. Just when you think it might not be able to get any better, Mr. Metal Bass himself, Steve DiGiorgio, plays bass for this band. Wait, it gets even better. John Allen plays drums, he and Steve working together before on various projects and bands (namely Sadus) is sure to make sure that the rhythm section of this band is as tight as the guitar playing. Finishing out this lineup is Fred Marshall, most notably the vocalist who sang on Zero Hour’s “A Fragile Mind”. There is a concept to this album, and it is implied by the name. I will not get into the concept here, as it would take quite a bit of time, but roughly it is about this guy who is tormented by his thoughts, bouts with schizophrenia, etc… There is also a killer cover of Iron Maiden’s “Powerslave” at the end of the album. I had the pleasure of seeing their first show together at Progpower this past September, and needless to say, with the exception of a few minor mishaps (it WAS their first show/practice all together in the same room), they are just as tight live as on this cd. I highly recommend it.

3.) Cage - Science of Annihilation. My boys in Cage have done it again. Regardless of my bias here, having been friends with the guys for a few years now, they have once again put out an amazing, just balls out, straight up, heavy metal assault. Sean is Halford incarnate, and as many people have said and I could agree with, most albums that they have put out could have all carried on the exact same path where Judas Priest was going with Painkiller. They make no apologies for this album leaving you in a pile of goo on the floor once you are done listening to it. With song names like "Planet Crusher", "Science of Annihilation", "Spirit of Vengeance", and "Speed Kills", among others, you can't help but to expect the million miles an hour riffing of Anthony and Dave, Norm's (also known for his being a founding member of Psychotic Waltz) drumming from hell, and Mike holding it all together will his very tight bass lines. Although Sean (Peck, singer) will argue with me all day about this album and my opinion of it, as I don't think it is as good as their previous, Hell Destroyer, I try to explain to him that it couldn't be, even if this album was perfect, which is almost is.

2.) Immortal - All Shall Fall. It's Immortal. I shouldn't really have to explain, but I will. It's been 7 years since Sons of Northern Darkness was unleashed on the world, and this album does not disappoint. Initially, when I first gave it a few listens, I thought perhaps it was better than Sons of Northern Darkness, but I have now conceded that I was wrong. It's a very good album, don't get me wrong, but after listening to them pretty closely together, I have decided that Sons of Northern Darkness is just a little better. I'll never forget the day that All Shall Fall came out, I literally drove for 3 hours around Saint Paul, Minneapolis, and surrounding suburbs before I was able to find a store that had a copy of it. I bought one for myself and one for Nathan, because he was looking forward to this album as much as I was. It definitely does not disappoint

1.) Vreid - Milorg. Wow. That is all I can say. This album has kicked my ass constantly since I downloaded it a few weeks ago. I was pumped for them to be playing Heathenfest after seeing them (and running merch for them) at Heathen Crusade 2, back in 2007. They only played 6-7 songs the other night but wow, they were even better than when I saw them back in '07, their first show in US soil as far as I know. I promptly bought the cd at the show, as well as making plans to order the vinyl in the next month or two, as I found a website that actually has it. About the cd itself, it is a concept album about the Norwegian Resistance, called Milorg, which stood for militær organisasjon (Military Organization), which was the main resistance to the German invasion of Norway in April, 1940. It deals with many different subjects, mainly the initial amphibious assault on the coast, the sinking of the Blücher (a German heavy cruiser), the "war whores" as they were called (Norwegian women who slept with German troops and officers in order to save themselves, later being cast out of Norway as traitors and deported to Germany after the war), The exile of the true Norwegian government/Royal Family and the takeover of the pro-Nazi government, and finally the Milorg itself. It's a brilliantly written concept from start to finish, musically it's a sonic assault laden with very melodic elements, blazing fast riffing and some very solid drumming. I cannot say enough good things about this album.

Well, that’s my list. As I said, I do reserve the right to change it around a bit if something else comes out this year that kicks my ass, but unless I’m blind, there is nothing else on the horizon that has me stoked. I would like to lastly mention a few honorable mentions of albums that didn’t quite make the final draft of the cut, the biggest surprise of the year, and the biggest disappointment of the year.

Freak Kitchen - Land Of The Freaks. This album came out right around the time I was making this list, so unfortunately, I didn't really have time enough to digest it before posting this. I do know that the album is very good, not perfect, but very, very good. Easily their best with the exception of Move.

Slayer – World Painted Blood. Decent so far, but I think the Slayer we all knew and loved is gone. Not to say this is a bad album, it isn’t, but it also is no Reign In Blood or Seasons…

Dethklok – Dethalbum II. I wanted this to make the cut, and it would have definitely been number 11, but this is a 10 album list, so alas.

Evile – Infection Nations. Unfortunately, and I take responsibility for this, I haven’t listened to this album enough yet to really have an opinion on it. If it is anything like their first, it would definitely be in that top 10 list, but I don’t want to unfairly judge it. I only have a promo copy that has beeps every minute or two and I want to buy the album so I can fully listen to it and immerse myself in it’s thrashy goodness.

Lamb Of God – Wrath. It’s a great album, it just unfortunately came out so early in the year that it got overshadowed by some others that came out afterwards that held my attention for longer.

Devin Townsend – Addicted. This album is a depart from Ki, being a little more heavy, but at the same time, filled with synthesizers and keyboards. Definitely different, but definitely still Devy. The strange thing is, the music fits the lyrics very well, as the lyrics are reflected within the music and it all fits together quite nicely. Devy has said that the next album, Deconstruction, will be very heavy, even so much that it will probably be a death metal record for the most part. I am curious to know how it is going to sound.

My Dying Bride – For Lies I Sire. This album is fucking depressing, but is a beautiful way. It really grabs you and take you on this depressing musical journey throughout, and I can honestly say that aside from the new Vreid album somewhat (the writing there is so good that you can’t help but feel sympathy for the people impacted by the German invasion of Norway), that I haven’t felt this way about an album taking me on that journey since Nevermore – Dreaming Neon Black.

Before I wrap this up, I wanted to simply state the album that I thought was the biggest surprise this year, that title would go to Futures End – Memoirs of a Broken Man. See review above for my thoughts on this masterpiece.

The biggest disappointment? 3 Inches of Blood – Here Waits Thy Doom. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that Jamie Hooper (harsh vocals) left the band. It has everything to do with the fact that I was really looking forward to this album and when I bought it, I put it in, and I was unable to find a memorable track anywhere. Not one. That crushes me, especially since Advance and Vanquish got my album of the year award on Metalreviews.com when I was writing for them.

Thanks for reading.

Brent"

You can vote for top 2009 albums at USA Progressive Music: www.usaprogmusic.com

Go ahead and complain all you want that your top albums aren't listed there. There is an explanation on the homepage how those polls were derived. If your favorite is not on there then don't vote or support the bands that did make the list. Plain and simple :p

Oh yeah and my personal favorite top albums of 2009 are (not in any particular order, and not ALL prog):

1. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
2. Future's End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
3. Silent Memorial - Retrospective
4. Delain - April Rain
5. Michael Jackson - This Is It
6. Muse - The Resistance
7. Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
8. Izz - The Darkened Room
9. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays
11. Pathosray – Sunless Skies
12. Katatonia – Night is the New Day
13. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
14. Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia
15. Touchstone - Wintercoast
16. Bon Jovi - The Circle
17. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-a-long Songs...
18. 3 - Revisions

My list has taken a strange turn this year, more toward the "doomy" side, since being turned on to these artists by the resident "doomers" on the board. With that said, here's my list.

10. Wolf - Ravenous
9. Lord - Set In Stone
8. Epica - Design Your Universe
7. Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
6. The Gates of Slumber - Hymns of Blood and Thunder
5. While Heaven Wept - Vast Ocean Lachrymose
4. Count Raven - Mammons War
3. Machines of Grace
2. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
1. Amorphis - Skyforger :worship:

~Brian~

1.The Dear Hunter-ACT III
2.Devin Townsend-Addicted
3.Anubis Gate-The Dteached
4.Anthem-The Extended Mind
5.DGM-Frame
6.Astra-From Within
7.Redemption-Snowfall on Judgement Day
8.Subsignal-Beautiful and Monstrous
9.Imogen Heap-Ellipse
10.Scar Symmetry-Dark Matter Dimensions
11.Leprous-Tall Poppy Syndrome
12.Manimal-The Darkest Room
13.Alice in Chains-Black Gives Way to Blue
14.Pure Reason Revolution-Amor Vincit Omnia
15.Transatlantic-The Whirlwind

Richie Kotzen, Freak Kitchen, Ashent, Megadeth, Winger, The Mars Volta, The Black Crowes, Steve Morse, Riverside, OSI, MindKey, Katatonia, Shadow Gallery, Karnivool, Dream Theater, Guilt Machine, Fairyland, Futures End, Heaven and Hell, Bloodbound, Darkology and Dredg were all contenders.

Jorn and Lynch Mob were the biggest dissapointments for me.

Despite all the albums listed above only The Dear Hunter cd really blew me away this year.

1. Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
2. Shadow Circus - Whispers & Screams
3. Transatlantic - Whirlwind
4. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
5. Jacob's Dream - Beneath the Shadows
6. Savage Circus- Of Doom & Death
7. Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
8. Hourglass - Oblivious to the Obvious
9. Narnia - Course of a Generation
10. Domain - Chronicles of Love, Hate, and Sorrow
11. Darkology - Altered Reflections
12. Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
13. W.E.T. - S/T
14. Place Vendome - Streets of Fire
15. Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa

I can imagine The Dear Hunter disc would be on more peoples lists if they'd just listen to it.

1. The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death
This just blew everything else released this year out of the water.

2. dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
3. Closure in Moscow - First Temple
4. Kiss Kiss - The Meek Shall Inherit What's Left
5. Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
6. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
7. Thrice - Beggars
8. mewithoutYou - It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright
9. Freak Kitchen - Land of the Freaks
10. Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
11. Futures End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
12. miRthkon - Vehicle
13. Umphrey's McGee - Mantis
14. Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland
15. Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia

i know it's more than 15, but in a year for me largely dominated by reissues and just a general WANT to get back to listening to bands and music that inspired me here are some of the bands (no need to list album titles since it's their latest 2009 release) that were in my player when something from my past wasn't already occupying it.

AGORAPHOBIC NOSEBLEED
AMORPHIS
BARONESS
BETWEEN THE BURIED & ME
COLOSSUS
DARKEST HOUR
CONVERGE
DARK BLACK
DREDG
FOREIGNER
FKU
GOLDEN CITY
HARDLINE
HE IS LEGEND
HEPHYSTUS
KATATONIA
JORN
KELLY CLARKSON
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
MASTEDON
MASTODON
MUSE
MUTE MATH
MYSTIC PROPHECY
OBSCURA
PAUL DEMPSEY (Something For Kate singer)
REVOCATION
SAINT DEAMON
SHADOWS FALL
THE TRAGICALLY HIP
TYR
WINGER
WRETCHED

In no particular order: 1/ DARKOLOGY- Altered Reflections
2/ FUTURES END- Memoirs...
3/ REDEMPTION- Snowfall///
4/ MYSTIC PROPHECY- Fireangel
5/ LAZARUS A.D.- The Onslaught