3. Riverside - A.D.H.D.
4. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver stuff
5. Swallow The Sun - New Moon
6. Katatonia - Night Is The New Day
7. Russian Circles - Geneva
8. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
9. O.S.I. - Blood
10. ISIS - Wavering Radiant

Coming in here, the last thing I expected was to see so many people liking The Dear Hunter's new album. I forget how I found out about the band, but I've been listening to it for the past couple months and have been enjoying the shit out of it. Glad to see such love for them here.

1. Woods of Ypres-- Woods IV: The Green Album
2. While Heaven Wept-- Vast Oceans Lachrymose
3. Amorphis-- Skyforger
4. Asphyx-- Death...The Brutal Way
5. Tyr-- By the Light of the Northern Star
6. Katatonia-- Night is the New Day
7. Vektor-- Black Future
8. Immortal-- All Shall Fall
9. Between the Buried and Me-- The Great Misdirect
10. Mastodon-- Crack the Skye
11. Candlemass-- Death Magic Doom
12. Musk Ox-- s/t
13. Claws-- Absorbed in the Nethervoid
14. Necramyth-- Slaughter of the Seoul
15. Argus-- s/t

This is just off the top of my head for now. I will probably do this again in a couple weeks with explanations. After the top 5, there's probably no particular order.

1. Mastodon - "Crack the Skye"
2. Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
3. Satyricon - "The Age of Nero"
4. Saxon - "Into the Labyrinth"
5. Alice in Chains - "Black Gives Way to Blue"
6. Megadeth - "Endgame"
7. Behemoth - "Evangelion"
8. Riverside - "Anno Domini High Definition"
9. Ace Frehley - "Anamoly"
10. Pearl Jam - "Backspacer"
11. Dredg - "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion"
12. Operatika - "Calling"
13. Slayer - "World Painted Blood"
14. Wolf - "Ravenous"
15. Whyzdom - "From the Brink of Infinity"

THANK YOU FOR THIS TOPIC!

I'm not ready to post my list, but every year I always read so many band topics in the forum, say, "I gotta get that!" Then I get busy, forget, then later can't remember which CD's I just knew were "must haves". This is thread is a great resource for filling in the holes in my library.

This.

Topics like this are where I get my next "big order" from (orderS, most likely, since Laser's Edge won't have the brutal stuff I haven't gotten yet and The End won't have the lighter stuff :)).
Plus, I can start making up my Top 15 from here, too. Memory jogging FTW.

Whew, I gotta admit I'm not even close to finalizing a ranking yet, which is going to make the next two weeks a fun-filled adventure. But this is a tentative (roughly) ranked list of all the albums "in the running" this year, at least as of now. I have a few things I'm still trying to grab last minute.

Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
Lord - Set in Stone
Jaded Heart - Perfect Insanity
Machines of Grace - Machines of Grace
Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
Killing Touch - One of a Kind
Mind Key - Pulse For a Graveheart
Coldspell - Infinite Stargaze
Outloud - We Will Rock You to Hell and Back Again
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Anubis Gate - The Detached
Constancia - Lost and Gone
Vindictiv - Ground Zero
Saxon - Into the Labyrinth

I also gotta give props to Stratovarius's Polaris for being about 10x better than what I expected, even though it's not amazing or anything.

Gotta think about this a bit more but lots of cool things to check out from these lists so far, already getting into that Lord which I was (pitifully) unaware of, great stuff!!!

Not in order.

1. Alexisonfire – Old Crows, Young Cardinals
2. André Matos - Mentalize
3. Katatonia - Night is the New Day (thanks for the tip, Milton!)
4. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5. Sepultura – A-lex
6. Megadeth – Endgame
7. Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
8. Living Colour - The Chair In The Doorway
9. Alice In Chains – Black Gives Way To Blue
10. Breaking Benjamin – Dear Agony
11. Chikenfoot – Chikenfoot
12. Mars Volta – Octahedron
13. Karnivool – Sound Awake
14. MUSE - The Resistance
15. Bon Jovi – The Circle

The biggest disappointment? 3 Inches of Blood – Here Waits Thy Doom. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that Jamie Hooper (harsh vocals) left the band. It has everything to do with the fact that I was really looking forward to this album and when I bought it, I put it in, and I was unable to find a memorable track anywhere. Not one. That crushes me, especially since Advance and Vanquish got my album of the year award on Metalreviews.com when I was writing for them.

Thanks for reading.

Brent"

Hmmmm...I totally dug the new 3 inches of blood. I even liked it better than the previous albums. The drums on the album sound sooooo good...like they used to sound in the 70s. This album was definitely a throwback album and a departure from the early albums, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Hmmmm...I totally dug the new 3 inches of blood. I even liked it better than the previous albums. The drums on the album sound sooooo good...like they used to sound in the 70s. This album was definitely a throwback album and a departure from the early albums, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. I lent it to Nathan and he thought the same thing. Maybe I'll give it a few months and listen again, as I do still have it, I never sell cds that I don't like, heh.

Megadeth - Endgame
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa
Electric Six - Kill
Zeromancer - Sinners International
Daath - The Hinderers
Chimaira - The Infection
Narnia - Course Of A Generation
Killswitch Engage - S/T
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Arch Enemy - The Root Of All Evil

Cool stuff that I discovered this year that kicks butt that came out earlier.....

Ashent - Deconstructive (gee, I wonder how I heard about THIS one, LOL)
Monster Magnet - God Says No
Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrant
Chimaira - Resurrection (this is one of my favorite albums, ever, now)
Arsis - We Are The Nightmare

You seem to be in the minority then. Everyone I know seems to absolutely hate the new album and it's not just due to the departure of the vocalist. This is why I've been declining to purchase it, though I probably will when the used price drops a little more.

You seem to be in the minority then. Everyone I know seems to absolutely hate the new album and it's not just due to the departure of the vocalist. This is why I've been declining to purchase it, though I probably will when the used price drops a little more.

there are two of us in here that liked it. i actually enjoyed it more than the last one. :)

Top 20 Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Albums of 2009 by Kevin Alba
1. Megadeth – Endgame
2. House of Lords – Cartesian Dreams
3. Alex Beyrodt’s Voodoo Circle
4. Winger – Karma
5. Outloud – We’ll Rock You To Hell and Back Again
6. W.A.S.P. - Babylon
7. Sacred Oath – Sacred Oath
8. Primal Fear – 16.6 Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
9. KISS – Sonic Boom
10. Edguy – Tinnitus Sanctus
11. HammerFall – No Sacrifice, No Victory
12. Stryper – Murder by Pride
13. Stratovarius - Polaris
14. Halestorm – Halestorm
15. Lynch Mob – Smoke and Mirrors
16. Dream Theater – Black Clouds and Silver Linings
17. Ace Frehley – Anomaly
18. Grave Digger – Ballads of a Hangman
19. Shadows Fall – Retribuion
20. Constancia – Lost and Gone

Great thread, but it underlines for me what a strange year it's been for me. There really was no album this year that blew me away. Some solid new music, but nothing released in 2009 that got a lot of consistant play from me. The best music I got this year was music released previously that I had never heard. A couple of releases were huge disappointments. Here's hoping for a mind blowing 2010.

There really was no album this year that blew me away. Some solid new music, but nothing released in 2009 that got a lot of consistant play from me. The best music I got this year was music released previously that I had never heard. A couple of releases were huge disappointments. Here's hoping for a mind blowing 2010.

Pretty much right on the money for myself, though the Redemption and Bloodbound albums were pretty damn fantastic. I'm with you on most of the best stuff I heard this year being from other years past. If my current compiled of list of confirmed and to-be-confirmed 2010 releases is to be considered, it will be an incredible year.

1.Danger Danger-Revolve
2.W.E.T
3.Pink Cream 69-Past and Present Live In Karksruhe
4.House of Lords-Cartesian Dreams
5.Magnum-Into the Valley of the Moonking
6.Dreamland-Exit 49
7.Place Vendome-Streets of Fire
8.Voodoo Circle
9.Heavenly-Carpe Diem
10.UFO-The Visitor
11.Yngwie Malmsteen-Angels of Love
12.Ravage-The End of Tomorrow
13.Outloud
14.Burning Point-Empyre
15.Impellitteri-Wicked Maiden
There are so many great albums from 2009, it's hard to remember all of them and to choose,but these are some of my favs. To me without question Danger Danger's Revolve was the best album of the year,with a close second to W.E.T.

Only 2009 CDs I've been spinning regularly at all really this year are (in playcount order):

Animals as Leaders (selftitled), Obscura - Cosmogenesis, Porcupine Tree - The Incident, Doom - Born Like This, Camp Lo - Stone and Rob: Caught on Tape, 50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct, Devin Townsend Project - Ki, Mos Def - The Ecstatic, Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini: The Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City, Swallow the Sun - New Moon

I kept all of the club singles off my list. There were a lot.

dont even have 10 that left a good enough impression...but here are the ones that did

Chronicles of Love, Hate and Sorrow by Domain

The Evocation I by Eluveitie

Design Your Universe by Epica

Endgame by Megadeth

Fireangel by Mystic Prophecy

Dark Matter Dimensions by Scar Symmetry

Days Of Grays by Sonata Arctica

World Painted Blood by Slayer