Top 15 cd's of 2009!!!

Mastodon - Crack The Skye
The Gathering - The West Pole
Katatonia - Night is The New Day
Brutal Truth - Revolution Through Evolution
Devin Townsend - Addicted
Pestilence - Ressurection Macabre

I'll be selecting my Top 10 from the following...

Amorphis - Skyforger
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars
Dreadnaught - Dreadnaught
Drudkh - Microcosmos
Fairyland - Score to a New Beginning
Fen - The Malediction Fields
Futures End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Lamb of God - Wrath
Madder Mortem - Eight Ways
Manimal - The Darkest Room
Manowar - Thunder in the Sky
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
Novembers Doom - Into Night's Requiem Infernal
Pathosray - Sunless Skies
Red Circuit - Homeland
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
Rome - Flowers From Exile
Townsend, Devin - Ki
Vader - Necropolis
Voyager - I Am the Revolution
Vreid - Milorg
Wolves in the Throne Room - The Black Cascade

Zod

These four have gotten the most airtime by far...

1) Epica - Design Your Universe (a bit of a watershed album for some fans, I love the heavier edge)
2) Ensiferum - From Afar (didn't have huge expectations, but holy shit, it's right up there with Iron)
3) Cain's Offering - Gather The Faithful (a "supergroup" living up to the billing)
4) Kalisia - Cybion (this one came out of left field, best and craziest surprise of the year)
5) Seven Kingdoms - Seven Kingdoms (another damn good surprise, US power metal represent!)

Others that were very good...

Dark Moor - Autumnal
Adagio - Archangels In Black
DGM - Frame
ReinXeed - Higher
Stratovarius - Polaris
Crimfall - As The Path Unfolds...

These were decent, but failed to truly pull me in...

Megadeth - Endgame
Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel
Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa

Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day: The best album yet from these guys.

Therion - The Miskolc Experience: The classical part just kicks my ass. Some of the best integration of rock instruments with classical pieces that I've ever heard.

Devin Townsend Project - Ki: I like Devin better when he tones things down. Probably my favorite Devin yet.

Devin Townsend Project - Addicted: Yet, the new one is also pretty good. Anneke's voice adds an element that really compliments Devin's voice. I also like the version of Hyperdrive that Anneke does on this album.

Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia: A good followup to their debut which manages to be not more of the same.

Sylvan - Force Of Gravity: I've come off my high on this album, especially after listening to Posthumous Silence. I still think it is a great album, tho.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings: I might be a minority in thinking that Systematic Chaos is a much better album, but this album has its moments. The covers are more than worth the admission price, tho.

Chickenfoot - S/T: Nothing groundbreaking here, just a solid hard rock album.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Songs For The Damned And Delerious: Probably one of the most fun albums of the year.

The Gathering - The West Pole: They can't really replace Anneke, but it is a pretty solid effort with some good highlights.

Albums that need more spins before I can decide on them:
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Muse - The Resistance
Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose

1.Danger Danger-Revolve
2.W.E.T
3.Pink Cream 69-Past and Present Live In Karksruhe
4.House of Lords-Cartesian Dreams
5.Magnum-Into the Valley of the Moonking
6.Dreamland-Exit 49
7.Place Vendome-Streets of Fire
8.Voodoo Circle
9.Heavenly-Carpe Diem
10.UFO-The Visitor
11.Yngwie Malmsteen-Angels of Love
12.Ravage-The End of Tomorrow
13.Outloud
14.Burning Point-Empyre
15.Impellitteri-Wicked Maiden

Finally, somebody mentioned Impellitteri! :)

Heres mine:

1. Steel Panther, Feel the Steel
2. Dream Theater, Black Clouds and Silver Linings
3. KISS, Sonic Boom
4. Megadeth, Endgame
5. Three, Revisions
6. Between the Buried and Me, The Great Misdirect
7. Mastodon, Crack the Skye
8. Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot
9. Alice in Chains, Black Gives Way to Blue
10. Obscura, Cosmogenesis
11. Gnostic, Engineering the Rule
12. 3 Inches of Blood, Here Waits Thy Doom
13. Impellitteri, Wicked Maiden
14. The Answer, Everyday Demons
15. Ace Frehley, Anomaly

And a few honorable mentions:

Xerath, I
Taking Dawn, EP
Wolfmother, Cosmic Egg
Lamb of God, Wrath
Winger, Karma
Heaven and Hell, The Devil You Know
Candlemass, Death Magic Doom
Eternal Hour, demo (lol)

Seems like the new Sonata Arctica has not left much impression around here.
I have been going back and forth on whether to get it.

Glad to see some love for Grave Digger.

Their past few have been quite stellar!

Man I love the new Sonata Arctica. I have to admit I'm a fairly new fan. I 1st bought Unia when they where announced for PP a couple yrs back, enjoyed that, then bought their previous releases. It's in my top of the year. If u like their Flags in the Ground single you'll like the album. Just my opinion though.

Its worth listening to for "Deathaura" alone which I think is the best thing they've ever done.

The rest of the album ranges from good to mediocre, nothing else really stands out.

These four have gotten the most airtime by far...

1) Epica - Design Your Universe (a bit of a watershed album for some fans, I love the heavier edge)
2) Ensiferum - From Afar (didn't have huge expectations, but holy shit, it's right up there with Iron)
3) Cain's Offering - Gather The Faithful (a "supergroup" living up to the billing)
4) Kalisia - Cybion (this one came out of left field, best and craziest surprise of the year)
5) Seven Kingdoms - Seven Kingdoms (another damn good surprise, US power metal represent!)

HA! thank you sir :)

1) Jupiter Society - Terraform
2) Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
3) Baroness - Blue Record
4) Muse - The Resistance
5) The Devil's Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore
6) Megadeth - Endgame
7) Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
8) Hacride - Lazarus
9) Arjen Lucassen's Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
10) Herman Frank - Loyal To None
11) Diablo Blvd - The Greater God
12) The Mars Volta - Octahedron
13) Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
14) Stratovarius - Polaris
15) Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Its worth listening to for "Deathaura" alone which I think is the best thing they've ever done.

The rest of the album ranges from good to mediocre, nothing else really stands out.

It's better than Unia, which I hated. I'm normally a fan, and the latest album is alright. I've taken a hiatus at seeing them in concert.

1. Cauldron - Chained to the Nite
2. Tyr - By the Light of the Northern Star
3. Slough Feg - Ape Uprising
4. Skyclad - In the...All Together
5. Dark Moor - Autumnal
6. Roxxcaliber - NWOBHM for Muthas
7. Tankard - Thirst
8. Novembers Doom - Into Night's Requiem Infernal
9. Cannon - Metal Style
10. Hellhound - Meal Fire From Hell
11. Wolf - Ravenous
12. Cage - Science of Annhilation
13. Harbinger - Doom on You
14. Kreator - Horders of Chaos
15. High Spirits - Seft titled

1. Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
2. Portal - Swarth
3. Ulcerate - Everything is Fire
4. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
5. Isis - Wavering Radiant
6. Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live
7. Vengeful - The Omnipresent Curse
8. Dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

My favorites from 2009:

Astra - The Weirding
Radio Moscow - Brain Cycles
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
3 Inches of Blood - Here Awaits Thy Doom
Saviours - Accelerated Living
Them Crooked Vultures - s/t
Pain of Salvation - Linoleum EP
Stratovarius - Polaris
Dethklok - Dethalbum II

Bible of the Devil live in Chicago

Still need to finish listening to the new Porcupine Tree, Riverside, and a few others.

Only a few cds really nailed me this year, there a few other cds I liked but all of the cds I listed are cds where I liked every single second of the cd from beginning to end, and they are...

Miseration - The Mirroring Shadow (Just think scar symmetry, no cleans and extremely brutal and technical, better than anything Scar Symmetry has put out in my opinion.)

Katatonia - Night is the New Day (You just can't go wrong with Katatonia these days, they keep on getting better and better.)

Shadows Fall - Retribution (Only liked a few select songs from them and with this cd they have gained a new fan for sure.)

Obscura - Cosmogenesis (I think I like this cd better than Necrophagist, but I'll wait until I hear their new cd until I make my final judgement).

Here's my top albums of 2009...

1.) Circus Maximus - (2007) Isolate
I know this is from 2007 but I just discovered C.M. this year and besides, it blows anything from the last three years away! George Stephanopoulos & I still rock out to this every Sunday morning on the way to work.

2.) Killing Touch - (2009) One of a Kind (Technically this is the best album of 2009, IMO of course...)
3.) Coldspell - (2009) Infinite Stargaze
4.) Astra - (2009) From Within
5.) Heel - (2009) Chaos & Greed
6.) Outloud - (2009) We'll Rock You To Hell & Back Again
7.) Place Vendome - (2009) Streets of Fire
8.) Vindictiv - (2009) Ground Zero
9.) Missing Tide - (2009) Follow The Dreamer
10.) Constancia - (2009) Lost & Gone
11.) Leverage - (2009) Circus Colossus
12.) Cain's Offering - (2009) Gather The Faithful
13.) Brainstorm - (2009) Memorial Roots
14.) Danger Danger - (2009) Revolve
15.) Delain - (2009) April Rain
16.) Free Spirit - (2009) Pale Sister of Light
17.) Hammerfall - (2009) No Sacrifice No Victory
18.) Sacred Steel - (2009) Carnage Victory
19.) W.E.T. - (2009) W.E.T.
20.) Lions Share - (2009) Dark Hours
21.) Lunatica - (2009) New Shores
22.) Prey - (2009) Knights of The Revolution
23.) Vision Divine - (2009) 9 Degrees West of The Moon
24.) Impellitteri - (2009) Wicked Maiden
25.) UZI - (2009) Madhouse
26.) Inmoria - (2009) Invisible Wounds

-KYF

Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
Delain - April Rain
Spheric Universe Experience - Unreal
Bloodbound- Tabula Rasa
Primal Fear – 16.6 Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
KISS – Sonic Boom
Outloud - We Will Rock You to Hell and Back Again
Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know
Megadeth - Endgame
Futures End – Memoirs of a Broken Man
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

Here's my Top 10 of 2009:

1. Impellitteri - Wicked Maiden
Awesome comeback from this great band, reuniting Chris Impellitterri and Rob Rock. Blazing guitar work from Chris and superb vocals from Rob. In my opinion, not a bad track on this album.

2. Anvil Chorus - The Killing Sun
The first album ever released by this underground, obscure metal band. If you are a fan of sophisticated, mature and carefully crafted songs, this is the album for you. It’s the details in this album that keep you coming back for additional spins. To be honest, I don’t know how to describe the band’s music. Maybe heavy power-prog? Lots of great guitar riffs on this album.

3. Cain’s Offering - Gather The Faithful
Power metal perfection from Finland, combining the forces of Stratovarius’ Timo Kotipelto and former Sonata Arctica guitarist Jani Liimatainen. This is the album I’ve been waiting for Stratovarius to make.

4. Cage - Science of Annihilation
“Planet Crusher” alone puts this album on this list for me. For true power metal, Cage are unrivaled.

5. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
This is what heavy metal sounds like. An instant evil classic! This album takes a little time to get into, but reveals more layers of genius with each listen.

6. Primal Fear - 16.6
The title track alone puts this on the list for me. Probably my favorite Primal Fear song ever written. Several other classic cuts on this album as well.

7. Megadeth - Endgame
As usual, Megadeth proves they are the better band than the majority of their competitors, releasing one of their best albums ever.

8. Helstar - The King of Hell
Technically released in 2008, but I didn’t get it until early 2009. A great comeback for this US power metal band.

9. Herman Frank - Loyal To None
Excellent pounding German power metal from former Accept guitarist.

10. Evil Masquerade - Fade To Black
Killer power metal featuring the great Apollo Papathanasio on vocals.

Favorite Songs of 2009 (in no particular order):

“Pain Will Be Thy Name” - Helstar
“Eyes of a Panther” - Steel Panther
“Thorn In My Side” - Cain’s Offering
“Wicked Maiden” - Impellitteri
“Garden of Eden” - Impellitteri
“16.6” - Primal Fear
“Eating The Cannibals” - Heaven & Hell
“Planet Crusher” - Cage
“Tales” - Anvil Chorus
“Phase To Phase” - Anvil Chorus
“Shiver” - Brainstorm

Elite albums:
Voyager - I Am The ReVolution: When it comes to writing memorable songs, this band is among the best. When it comes to singing, Daniel Estrin is in my current top 3. Every time I listen to this band its just a great experience.
Reversion - King of Deceit: Came out in 2008, but I don't care. One of the finest albums I've heard in the last 5 years.
Mastodon - Crack the Skye: I can't add much to what has already been said. Just some fantastic music.
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day: I've given enough love to this album. Best pure progmetal album ever.
Zu - Carbiniferous: I need this eclectic music, at least one good album every year.
Jamie Saft - Black Shabbis: Wrote a long post about them when I first heard it. My enthusiasm for it has gone down a little bit, but its still a magnificent listen.
Slough Feg - Ape Uprising: I love it, like I love all of the albums. This one took (as I recall) a couple listens to really sink in.
Fool's Game - Reality Divine: The mark of a great album is when it improves over the course of your first 5 listens. This album has done that. In my last listen, I heard things I hadn't heard before. I think if you concentrate on Nick's keys, he did a really wonderful job. There's some very interesting music going on there, that I didn't notice the first few times.
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest : I don't think there's a death metal album that I could say is better. I think its equal to my favorite Death and Edge of Sanity albums. I think its the best sounding death metal album I've ever heard. The double bass drums are so perfectly dialed in with the mix that ever mixer needs to study it, in my most humble opinion of course.

Great
Tyr - By The Night of the Northern Star: God, why is this album not in my list of elites. While this is one of my favorite bands, the album just feels short. Not sure if it is, but that's how it felt. It was over long before I wanted it to be. So while its good, it didn't have that impact on me that the past few have.
Lion's Share - Dark Hours: I don't get into much power metal anymore, but when I listen to it I want something that truly has 'power.' Fool's Game and Lion's Share are two of the few bands that bring it. Lion's Share is one of the very few 'pure' power metal bands that still seems to have the smarts to create powerful music.
Isole - Silent Ruins : Epic doom metal of the finest form.
Vreid - Milorg : Its rare that I love a black metal album. But this album brings in quality melodies that actually keep my interest.
Obscura - Cosmogenesis : I enjoy chaos.
Athem - The Extended Mind: Quality prog-metal. Very few good Dream Theater'esque progmetal albums released this year. I like that they extend their influences into 70s prog, as fewer and fewer progmetal bands seem to be doing.

Good
Crimfall - As the Path Unfolds... : I can have my cheese.
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Lining: Its good, but I haven't had much of a desire to return to it. I probably should. There's lots of very good stuff on this album.
Megadeth - Endgame: I haven't followed this band very closely,but because the first CD I ever owned was Countdown, I associate them with good times. Best thrash album that I heard by far. My only complaint is that few of the songs seem to be taken to the next level. At times I feel that they are starting to sound like they are imitating the bands that are imitating Megadeth.

Top albums:
Fireworks - All I Have to Offer is My Own Confusion
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Converge - Axe to Fall
Trapped Under Ice - Secrets of the World
Iron Age - The Sleeping Eye
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Absu - Absu
Slough Feg - Ape Uprising
Katharsis - Fourth Reich
AFI - Crash Love

Top EPs/Demos: