Traditional Metal

the other two helm albums, for starters. slough feg and di anno-era maiden are too obvious i assume. it depends what appeals to you about them really, there are loads of great '80s bands out of the US in particular who share many of their qualities but i'm struggling to recall bands who outright sound like them. i'm sure someone else will be able to think of some.

Not that I've ever heard, great album though. I really need to get their other two albums. I lucked into that one at a flea market years ago.

the other two helm albums, for starters. slough feg and di anno-era maiden are too obvious i assume. it depends what appeals to you about them really, there are loads of great '80s bands out of the US in particular who share many of their qualities but i'm struggling to recall bands who outright sound like them. i'm sure someone else will be able to think of some.

I like the speed, the guitar solos, and the vocals are pretty good.

The US heavy metal bands are pretty varied. Brocas Helm is one of the more unique ones and their sense of humor is on point. I would check out their other two albums right away.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah this music is pretty cool and similar to Brocas Helm, thanks. I have to say both of these bands feel a little bit 'safe' though from a modern perspective. And they're not quite as good as like Dio for their time. But I can see having them on in the background while I do other stuff.

Yeah this music is pretty cool and similar to Brocas Helm, thanks. I have to say both of these bands feel a little bit 'safe' though from a modern perspective. And they're not quite as good as like Dio for their time. But I can see having them on in the background while I do other stuff.

i'd say albums like satan's host's METAL FROM HELL, slauter xstroyes' WINTER KILL, siren's NO PLACE LIKE HOME, adramelch's IRAE MELANOX, dark quarterer's S/T, heir apparent's GRACEFUL INHERITANCE and of course cirith ungol's KING OF THE DEAD are less 'safe' as you call it. lots of weird, ambitious shit going on there. no idea if any of that would float your boat though.

Either way that's all good shit he should check out if he hasn't. I'm especially partial to Satan's Host and Dark Quarterer from that list.

that satan's host album is so fucking underrated. pisses me off, man! among other things it contains my favourite harry conklin performance, and that's coming from someone who rates AMPLE DESTRUCTION as top ten all time material (and TITAN FORCE not far behind). it's just the wildest, craziest, most exhilarating and spinemeltingly gorgeous music. i know the production is an acquired taste but it works just fine in the context IMO, and the critics tend to forgive other albums for much worse.

that satan's host album is so fucking underrated. pisses me off, man! among other things it contains my favourite harry conklin performance, and that's coming from someone who rates AMPLE DESTRUCTION as top ten all time material (and TITAN FORCE not far behind). it's just the wildest, craziest, most exhilarating and spinemeltingly gorgeous music. i know the production is an acquired taste but it works just fine in the context IMO, and the critics tend to forgive other albums for much worse.

Man, Metal From Hell's first half is pretty amazing, top of the line stuff. But gets kinda weak after that, what do you think? Love the album though.

I've never listened to Dark Quarterer and I need to rectify that.

Vocals are a little weird and the production is way bad but there's some epic shit in there

My copy has the original and the re-recording done in 2012" which isn't bad but it's probably just worth noting there's two versions out there.

Man, Metal From Hell's first half is pretty amazing, top of the line stuff. But gets kinda weak after that, what do you think? Love the album though.

I dunno, Strongest of the Night and Hell Fire are two of the best tracks.

I love almost everything mentioned on this page. I need to check out Heir Apparent though.

Also this instrumental from Dark Quarterer's s/t is fucking great: