Utterly Epic Vocal Performances

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
I thought this would be a great idea for a thread. What do you believe are some of the grandest, most moving, most impressive vocal performances in metal.

A handful to kick it off,

Virgin Black - Requiem, Kyrie (Rowan has one of the most powerful voices I have ever heard, a great operatic tenor and impressive death metal vocalist, the song itself is just purely epic, it has a whole symphony orchestra and both regular and death metal choirs)

Meza Virs - Crestfallen (The most soaring female vocal performance in metal IMO)

Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius (Incredibly emotional)

Opeth - Bleak (It is something about the closing PT style vocals that lift this song up for me vocally and make it really impressive)

Fear Factory - Timelessness (It is the final song on a concept album which has an acompanying film script in the cover sleave, I would not call this song metal but the album is metal and it is very stirring)

Luca Turilli gives some pretty epic vocal performances, especially on Legend of Steel.

Luca Turilli gives some pretty epic vocal performances, especially on Legend of Steel.

Luca Turilli? Dont you mean Fabio Lione, he is Rhapsodys vocalist, Turilli does lead guitar. As for Fabio's vocals, yes, they can be quite epic, but they are very very hard to take seriously due to the subject matter, so I dont find them very emotional.

As far as power metal vocalists go, Tarja (ex-Nightwish) is the only one I give a damn for but that is because I have a soft spot for Opera and its bigness.

I hate to say this but...ever since that "ITALIAN POWER METAL VS...THE WORLD" thread I've been listening to Dragonforce, especially "Soldiers of the Wasteland." As silly and "gay" as they may be, there's something undeniably epic about their choruses. They're just a fun band, and fun is something that D666, Panzerchrist and Bolt Thrower are all lacking and I listen to them a lot. It's kind of like watching a b-movie like Predator when The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is on but....I digress.

Bathory - One Road to Asa Bay (along with many other Bathory tracks)
Absurd - Germanien über alles
Falkenbach - Heathenpride
Morrigan - Where the Angels Keep Silence
Infernäl Mäjesty - Night of the Living Dead

These immediately come to mind.

off the top off my head...

Moonsorrow - Raunioilla
Agalloch - In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
Amon Amarth - Under The Northern Star
Devin Townsend - Storm
Daylight Dies - Lies That Bind
Iced Earth - Watching Over Me
Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Opeth - Demon Of The Fall
Summoning - Might And Glory
Swallow The Sun - Hope
Wintersun - Death And The Healing

I agree with Opeth - Bleak

Wintersun - Sleeping Stars
Orphaned Land - The Storm Still Rages Inside
Windir - The Spiritlord
Anathema - One Last Goodbye, Restless Oblivion, Emotional Winter
In Flames - Jester Script Transfigured
Dissection - Unhallowed
Solefald - Sun I Call
Borknagar - The Genuine Pulse
Anything by Primordial
The Gathering - Sand and Mercury
Almost everything by Saviour Machine - Eric Clayton's vocals are the most naturally epic sounding in rock/metal

and of course the best of all
Emperor - With Strength I Burn

Luca Turilli? Dont you mean Fabio Lione, he is Rhapsodys vocalist, Turilli does lead guitar. As for Fabio's vocals, yes, they can be quite epic, but they are very very hard to take seriously due to the subject matter, so I dont find them very emotional.

As far as power metal vocalists go, Tarja (ex-Nightwish) is the only one I give a damn for but that is because I have a soft spot for Opera and its bigness.

Luca Turilli has a band named after himself. The lead vocalist of that band is great too. Basically a Rhapsody clone though.

My List:

1) Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence (Hansi Kürsch).
2) Emperor - Any song from 'Anthems' album (Ihsahn).
3) Opeth - Demon of the Fall (Mikael Åkerfeldt).
4) Pain of Salvation - A Trace of Blood (Daniel Gildenlöw).
5) Grave Digger - Raven (Chris Boltendahl).
6) Persuader - Judas Immortal (Jens Carlsson).
7) Wintersun - Battle Against Time (Jari Mäenpää).
8) Symphony X - Domination (Russell Allen).
9) Angra - The Shadow Hunter (Edu Falaschi) & Temple of Hate (Edu Falaschi/Kai Hansen).
10) Lost Horizon - Highlander (Daniel Heiman).
11) Sepultura - Escape to the Void (Max Cavalera).
12) Rhapsody - Holy Thunderforce (Fabio Lione).
13) Kamelot - Nights of Arabia (Roy Khan).
14) Amon Amarth - Asator (Johan Hegg).
15) Evergrey - Essence of Conviction (Tom Englund).

Borknagar - The Archaic Course
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Kataxu - Hunger of Elements

Some of these aren't really "epic" but the vocal performance on these songs kill me every time.

Mayhem - Buried By Time & Dust
Darkthrone - Quintessence
Bethlehem - Schatten Aus Der Alexander Welt
Impetigo - Intense Mortification
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Candlemass - Solitude
Mercyful Fate - Nightmare
King Diamond - Welcome Home
Acid Bath - Bleed Me An Ocean