Video Game Thread (Officially Unofficial)

my new computer has windows vista, the new OS, which is not compatible with older PC games, but at least you have to have it to play Halo 2 and Medal of Honor: Airborne coming in august.

Fucking Negars.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22801.html

For many people the trailer for Resident Evil 5 was seen as an exciting new direction for the definitive survival horror franchise. For others, it's racist hate mongering at its worst. Kym Platt at Black Looks, a blog dedicated to exploring issues concerning African women, expresses her concerns over the trailer which depicts Chris Redfield in what appears to be an African setting, struggling against a horde of black zombies.

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young... fearing, hating, and destroying Black people.

This is a really touchy subject. Looking past the mistaken idea that the game is being marketed to children, I can completely see where Platt is coming from to a certain extent. It is a white figure of some authority being attacked by a horde of what appears to be African peoples. This much is true.

On the other hand, zombie stories originated in the Afro-Caribbean Vodoun belief system, so for a series that relies on zombies as its main antagonists, exploring the voodoo origins of zombie mythology seems only natural, and in order to do that you are going to end up exploring villages that just don't happen to have many Caucasians in them.

If the game does anything it bolsters the hatred of black zombies already present in the well-established hatred of zombies in general. It teaches us that no matter what color they are on the outside, flesh-hungry reanimated dead people are really fundamentally the same, and should probably be avoided at all costs. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'd like to think that mankind will band together regardless of race or nationality in the name of preserving the future of humanity and the safety of our precious brainmeats.

-Some Negar Rights Bananablog

resident_evil_5801.jpg

Haha yeah, I saw that...

Helping write the script for a flash video on the subject... it involves a lot of KFC and Watermelon.

360 & PS3 I believe

But shit, there's in-game footage in that trailer that looks downright amazing.

On a related note, All-Pro Football 2K8 completely destroys every other football game out there. Except maybe Tecmo Super Bowl

RE 5 looks amazing. I can't believe I missed the 4th because I own an xbox360. Now at least I'll be able to play it...

Bioshock anyone? The game's been getting 9's and 10's from everyone who's reviewing it. Apparently the games story is influenced somewhat by Ayn Rand's work and her objectivism philosophy.

Played the demo and it's fookin' one of the better games I've seen or played lately.