Video Game Thread (Officially Unofficial)

Dorian may be right.

danielpetric.jpg

Prosecutors at the murder trial of 17-year-old Daniel Petric claim that the teen shot both of his parents, killing his mother, because they wouldn't let him play Halo 3.

According to prosectors, Petric, 16 at the time of the shooting, was forbidden to buy Halo 3 by his parents, Mark and Susan Petric. The teen snuck out to purchase the game anyway, and was caught by his parents upon his return. The game was locked up in Mark's lockbox, along with a 9mm handgun.

Mark Petric, a minister at the Life Assembly of God in Wellington, Ohio, testified that soon after on the evening of October 20th, 2007, his son entered the family room with a request.

"Would you guys close your eyes," Daniel Petric asked. "I have a surprise for you."

It was then that Daniel Petric allegedly shot both of his parents in the head, killing his mother instantly. Mark Petric survived due to the timely arrival of his daughter and her husband, who had arrived to watch a Cleveland Indians game.

It's just an amazingly heart-wrenching story, made even more so by the following exchange between father and son related by Mark Petric during testimony:

"Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel Petric said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Mark Petric responded. "You're my boy."

Lawyers for the accused delivered a brief statement at the opening of the trial, explaining that their client had be under a large amount of stress after being homebound for a year due to a snowboarding accident with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

I really don't know what to think about this case. The parents were doing what I always suggest parents do, monitoring their son's gameplay and making sure he doesn't play what they don't approve of. Sadly in this case it backfired.

Without knowing more about the family - specifically about Daniel Petric - there's no real way of knowing why this happened. I suspect the boy's lawyers might have a point about being homebound for a year, especially if Daniel was an active teen, as the snowboarding incident seems to suggest.

It's a tragic story that really leaves me with conflicting emotions. On one hand, the fact that a teenager can feel so entitled to something that he'd kill for it worries the hell out of me. At the same time, the fact that the father can forgive him for what he had done is a strong testament to the power of both family and forgiveness.

games i have purchased recently and my thoughts-

Gears of War - 9/10 game
Gears of War 2 - 9.5/10 - absolutely superb gameplay and story. the co-op campaign is one of the best ever developed
Call of Duty : World at War - 8/10 - great game, but the gameplay is exacty like CoD4. still, looks beautiful and plays just as well. a little repetetive, but hey... that's CoD for you. extra point for the mission you unlock when you beat the game which is called "Nacht der untoten (Night of the Undead)". you try to fight off a nazi zombie attack by boarding up windows and purchasing better weapons with the points you get from killing zombies. awesome shit, perhaps better than the actual game itself.
Grand Theft Auto 4 - 9/10 - Need I say more?
Left 4 Dead - 7/10 - Its about time somebody made a good FPS zombie game. fun gameplay and some spooky shit going on... definitely keeps you on your toes. once you played through one level, though, you've basically beat the game. every level is available from the beginning so theres no saving going on. you get the same weapons in every level, and there are only a handful of different enemies. still, a great multiplayer game which does a lot of justice for the "violent shoot 'em" up category. could have easily been 10/10 if only it were deeper
Rainbow Six : Vegas 2 - 10/10 - A worthy sequel. Basically the same game with some awesome new maps, enhanced graphics, and a few new weapons. the best addition is the character development stuff, you gain levels in order to unlock better weapons, armor, and camo. brilliant multiplayer/split screen action.

"Nacht der untoten (Night of the Undead)"

That fucking rules. I wish they expanded that into a full game instead of just a bonus that nobody plays. It's fun as hell but I had to play it split screen with a friend to have any multiplayer because nobody was playing it online for the two weeks I was borrowing it from my friend.

Finally got around to playing ICO. Didn't work on my PS2 but works fine on my PS3. Go figure.

Anyway, I find a lot of it surprisingly annoying. Shadow of the Colossus is a fucking masterpiece but people that say ICO is as good are out of their fucking minds. Apparently the studio is working on something for the PS3. Can't wait to see what it is.

For now I guess I'll try out that FEAR 2 demo.

Is Left for Dead any good?

Wait for Resident Evil 5. L4D plays like a zombie arcade shooter that is completely devoid of tension, suspense, and thrills. I can't stand the cartoonish response of shooting a zombie point blank with a shotgun. The bastard should become minced meat upon impact, but instead does a corkscrew swan dive across the room. :erk:

Jonathan, purchase Dead Space.

L4D is fun only when its Versus mode with a bunch of friends imo

Im not sure how I feel about Resident Evil 5.. I personally am a fanboy for the older games, this one just seems like RE4 with my pals. But I dunno I only played the demo which is decent, I'll wait for the actual game

Really disapointed in Fallout 3's first DLC, Operation Anchorage. The first person shooting aspect of the game can not hold it's own, and without the RPG elements, the engine truely show's it's ugly side. Not to mention some really stupid bugs throughout and a very short length... and in the end there's really nothing to gain from it.

And the fact that they charged 10 bucks for this crap? Ugh.

Edit: I elaborated for another forum, so I might as well post here. Minor spoilers ahead:

Essentially when you start this mission, you're dropped with a silenced pistol in Alaska. After taking a look at the floating tree horizon, you proceed to go somewhere to do something. Really, that's all I knew... it doesn't exactly explain what the hell you're doing that requires a pistol. The chinese soldiers at this point have some super sight, so while you do have the option to sneak, without using the one stealth boy you're given, they will spot you from about 2 miles away and begin to open fire. The first few are fine, but soon enough it drops you to a point where there are about 4 to 5 enemies taking shots at you at the same time. Here is the first problem: You have only so much AP... so you use your vats and you pick off one. For the next minute you're trying to hide because no matter how well you think you're aiming accurately, you're not going to hit them. The second problem: You regain health and ammo from containers. No need to worry about dying at all because these containers are placed in a manner that your chances of death are very slim. For example, there is a container right next to the first enemy you encounter. You also quickly earn the chinese assault rifle, which if you want, you are free to just spray and pray. The ammo containers are plentiful, and the chances of running out of ammo (or even low) are about the same as dying. After this you meet up with a group or some shit to do something of some sort, where the rest of the DLC is going with this group and watching them do all the work... Sure you can shoot a bit, give the illusion of free will, but in the end you'll realize that the entire thing lacks any freedom whatsoever. Once you beat it, you can't go back, something you'd think that Bethesda would have fixed after the biggest complaint about the main content was the lack of return after completion. Rewards are minor, some armor and a sword or some shit like that, and fairly useless to boot. Maybe 1-2 hours of your time lost, which, for 10 dollars, I want back.

While I'm bitching about games, I'm going to quickly complain about Resident Evil 5.

I thought we were getting a Resident Evil game, not Gears of War 3: Detroit. This game lacks EVERYTHING that makes Resident Evil... well, Resident Evil.

You people can have your Zombies of War 5, in the mean time I'm going into cryogenic freezing... wake me up when games are good again.

While I'm bitching about games, I'm going to quickly complain about Resident Evil 5.

I thought we were getting a Resident Evil game, not Gears of War 3: Detroit. This game lacks EVERYTHING that makes Resident Evil... well, Resident Evil.

You people can have your Zombies of War 5, in the mean time I'm going into cryogenic freezing... wake me up when games are good again.

Yeah my friend gave me the RE5 demo telling me that it was "positively incredible". I played it a few times. You are very correct to say that the series has lost what made it cool back in the day. It's just a shitty shooter now with awful controls and pretty much no amazing qualities.

This is only the demo I'm talking about, maybe the final release will be better. I have the demo on a CD-R, if anyone wants it then send me a PM. They released a patch on LIVE that makes the demo impossible to play on a regular 360 without mods. I don't have live so I can still play it. If you still want it, I'll help you out.

resident evil 5 will suck. gears of war ripoff? booooo. play the demo for yourself :(

Well I beat the Operation Anchorage pack already and liked it. The Winterized Power Amror actually does not Damage at all so you never have to repair it. ( Fall out) Still playing Call Of Duty 5 ( Im ranked in the 800's on sabotage ( VikingMetal13 if anyone wants to play) I liked RE 5 demo. But it is alot different. Needs some getting use to. Also if you guys are interested you can still get the two free Bruce Springstein songs for Guitar Hero until Feb.1 or 2nd.