Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Tyra said:
:lol: Ooooooooh dear, what a question to come up with for a first post!!!! I think you've struck one of the touchiest subjects in modern day asatru. It is quite sumply one of those things that the asatru community is continuosly debating, and the debate is very heated to say the least ( including mudslinging, name calling, nidstangs, spells and all the nice things that Norse people do to eachother when they get angry).
To put the problem into some sort of frame, there are some that feel very strongly that nothing can be stronger than Odin. Then there is the opposing thought, who believe just what you said, that the Norns are, if not more, then at least equally powerful.
If you want my personal opinion, I can give it to you, but I don't know if it's relevant to you - I tend to look at things in a cultural context, and so I think that one cannot exist without the other. The mythology makes it very clear that there are supposed to be two genders, and that they must co-exist. Odin would not be as powerful if he didn't have the Valkyries, the Disir, the Norns and the goddesses. They in turn could not exist without the male gods. Everyone has a place and a purpose in Asgård, just as everyone in this word has a place and a purpose. If you remove one or the other, even Loki, the whole system collapses. To me, it is irrelevant who is the more powerful, as one could not exist without the other. That is why the Thing was run by the people for the people - nobody is any more special than anyone else, there is no almighty judge. If you can understand that concept (that everyone is equal, because each job is just as important for the whole society to function), you can understand how come many things in Scandianvia still work in that way to this day. The Havamal says to be all things in moderation (to be middle wise and so on), so obviously, Odin was well aware of this concept. He was also well aware of the power of those three ladies, but I think it is not a relationship based on fear, but rather of mutual respect.

Does that answer the question?

That is indeed very true Tyra. When Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson was asked about which gods are prayed to he said "Mainly, Thor. He gets the highest of praises. As a God, he is more common than Odin, more people-friendly. He is the god of farms..." So it depends on what each person feels I suppose, but some gods are favored because they posses more "people-friendly" qualities as opposed to some of the others. Yet, all the gods and goddess play an intricate role and if one was left out the system will indeed fall apart. A goddess like Freya is very important and is the counterpart to Odin, so both gods and goddess are equal in this respect. Both create a balance. Also said something about how the society in Iceland was never really patriarchally structured and that women always had more rights and were regarded as equals. Which reminded me of something I came accross during some research. In some of the old Norse laws, including the laws on hospitality, there were laws dealing with womens' rights like the right to divorce and remarry and something about inheritance and presiding over legal matters, especially when the husband or man of the household was not present or dead. Things which the Christian world did not allow. So even this equal sharing of power and distribution of tasks was not only apparent in the world of the gods but also in the society itself.

An interesting way to look at this is outlined in Hyenstrand, 1996, "Lejonet, draken och korset". There is a comparison there of how often the names of each god and goddess' name appears in current Swedish municipal placenames south of Norrland. It points to specific deities being favoured in specific areas - some of the names could possibly imply that the powerful families of that particular province felt a closer attachment to one deity over another, kind of like a totem animal for the indians (the ON had fylgias in this manner). According to this, Odin and Frejs' centre of power would for example have been the Mälar valley (around Stockholm, notably where the centre of power eventually came to lie), but Odin is also the most common name in Västergötland. Thor, on the other hand, is more common in names from the Värend area and Öland (possibly the old seat of power).
What is really interesting is that the only name that occurs evenly right across the whole area is Freja's. Of the male gods, only Ullr's is distributed as evenly geographically. That says something about the power of Freja, to me. Also, look at this list of how often the names of various deities occur:
Tor 42%
Freja 30%
Oden 21%
Frej 16%
Njord 10%
Ullr 8%
Again, to me, this is a testiment of her power. There are other names included, such as Frigga, but they are either so low in percentage that they've not been included in the study, or are too ambiguous (Frigga and Freja are often confused and it's too difficult to decide for sure which one of them some of these names came from, in which case they've been left off the list). Some placenames are also seemingly attached to certain deities: -tuna is associated with Freja again, whereas -åker is coupled with Thor, and -vi with Ullr. These names appear on their own or as part of a longer placename, and can then have been used in place of the deity's actual name. Again, the name with the most adherence to this rule is that of Freja.

TheSilentGod said:
ok thanks i was just confused because i also read something about eitr or something.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner! I am guessing that you are thinking of the Aesir. That is the "family name" of Odin's family, the gods of Asgård.
Or it could be the word aettir, which is ON for "family" or "tribe"?

Incidentally, since your user name is Silent God and all: Hönir (Hoenir) is known as "The Silent God".

Dunno...Hoenir is the one I think of. He was one of the hostages sent with Mimer to live with the Vanir in exchange for Frej, Freja and Njord. The vanir asked him for advice, and he'd just ask Mimer and repeat it back to them. The rest of the time, he would just keep quiet. This got him into a lot of trouble with the vanir and Mimer got his head hacked off as a result.
I think of Vidar as the god of vengeance, but we don't have a very close relationship, so I am not sure how quiet he is...

Tyra said:
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner! I am guessing that you are thinking of the Aesir. That is the "family name" of Odin's family, the gods of Asgård.
Or it could be the word aettir, which is ON for "family" or "tribe"?

Incidentally, since your user name is Silent God and all: Hönir (Hoenir) is known as "The Silent God".

ooh ok thanks. my name after the song "where silent gods stand guard"

this is from wikipedia-Ymir was conceived in Ginnungagap when the ice of Niflheim met with Muspelheim's heat and melted, releasing "eliwaves" and drops of eitr. The eitr drops stuck together and formed a giant of rime frost (a hrimthurs) between the two worlds and the sparks from Muspelheim gave him life.

thats where i got it from

TheSilentGod said:
ooh ok thanks. my name after the song "where silent gods stand guard"

this is from wikipedia-Ymir was conceived in Ginnungagap when the ice of Niflheim met with Muspelheim's heat and melted, releasing "eliwaves" and drops of eitr. The eitr drops stuck together and formed a giant of rime frost (a hrimthurs) between the two worlds and the sparks from Muspelheim gave him life.

thats where i got it from

Oh, duh! Language barrier - sorry! "Etter" is the Swedish word for a type of venom, the same that is said to be caught in Sigyn's bowl when it's not dripping on the fettered Loki's head. Also the same thing that spilled from Fafnir, that Sigurd had to shield himself from when he slay him. I had never heard it called eitr before, but it makes sense now. Fireants are called Ettermyra, etter ant, in Swedish because they have this venom in them.
The frost giants are not very nice beings, and are said to be descended from this giant made of venom. I should have mentioned that. Mea culpa.

oh yeah what are the names of your children? :)
and by the way Tyra, just by curiosity, were you brought up with paganism?
was anyone here brought up more or less that way?

PS; just for the anecdote, talking about names we can give to our children... well in france, "Blanche" can be a name, it means "White". and "france" is also a name. so this woman i know called her two daughters "White" and "France" LOL.

Tyra is my user name here and my SCA name, too. My oldest is named Lina, for the goddess of consolation, Hlin. It means The Falxenhaired, and she is flaxenhaired alright - pretty much a carbon copy of me (blonde swizzle-stick in other words). Her chosen SCA name is Arnfrid (One who loves eagles). The younger one is Leia. (Her dad chose that name. Can you guess what movies he likes?) She doesn't have an SCA name yet, as she's too young to have chosen one. We'd probably have named her something like Sigyn or whatever if we lived in a Scandihoovian country, but we had to choose names that people can actually pronounce here, too... It's bad enough that nobody can spell their names right. I know all about that, since my maiden name was Nilsdotter Carlsson. It's sure a lot quicker spelling R-e-i-d every time you go to the bank and such!

Celtik Militia said:
oh yeah what are the names of your children? :)
and by the way Tyra, just by curiosity, were you brought up with paganism?
was anyone here brought up more or less that way?

PS; just for the anecdote, talking about names we can give to our children... well in france, "Blanche" can be a name, it means "White". and "france" is also a name. so this woman i know called her two daughters "White" and "France" LOL.
Hehe! My dog is named Gwen. It means "the fair one", cuz she has a big white patch on her belly and chest and white mittens, whereas my last big dog (Zeke, after Disney's Big Bad Wolf) was pitch black. It's the same as Gwenivere/Guinivere, Gwendolyn and Genevra. Gwen is "GWENDOLYN!!!" when she gets into trouble...

I was brought up in a household where one parent taught me the Christian way and the other the Old Way. Then, after my biological dad died and Johan and his dad became my family, my new dad used to tell me the stories of the old Norse, but he is vey anti-religion of any kind. He feels that one should make ones own mind up about politics and religion, and so I did. My kids are brought up asatru, but the surrounding community is all Christian, so they, too, get both.

Oh, and incidentally, I just thought I'd mention that I am leaving for a dig this week and will be incommunicado for a month. Not ignoring anyone or whatever...

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Who do you guys think is the greatest hero in the Germanic tales? No gods allowed.
Personally, I think either Ragnar Lodbrok, Beowulf or Sigurd Fafnersbane.

Gunnar, Sidgurd, beowulf. The Greatest of warriors.