Viking mythology and all that goes with it

A "lans" is a lance, as in a long pointed object, like the kind of thing that evolved into the lance that was used for jousting in the Middle Ages. It's longer than a spear, and is not for throwing.
Pilbåge is the bow, pil is the arrow, pilspets is the arrowhead (I think that's what it's called in regular English? We call them "points" when we find them in the ground).

Yeah, arrowhead, if you're talking about artifacts. I also remembered that spjut was spear/spearhead(at least to my limited understanding of Scandinavian languages), so I took a look at the nifty ones on that site.

Lance, eh? Well, I was close, a lance is just a really, really big arrow! :p

Have you tried looking for boar spears? From what I've read (and I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong), they were developed in Germany and Scandanavia in the 3rd or 4th century. What exactly do you mean by real? Really made in Germany, really made from a German museum piece, or really in the style used by the Germans? :)

Its been a while since I posted something. I hope everyone had a good holiday season :) I think "surviving" the holiday season is an understatement haha. Anyway, does anyone know where I can find the rhyme meter for some old Faroese, Icelandic, and Danish ballads? I have the verses for some songs but not the rhyme meter so I cannot recite/sing them just yet. Ramund Hin Unge and Regin Smidur being 2 of them. Any other old folk songs like these are welcome!...especially the ones dealing with Norse mythology :)

How is a big handheld stick that doesnt fly but you keep with you similar to an arrow? a big handheld stick that doesnt fly but you keep with you reminds me of something else.. nevermind
A lance is just a really really big arrow in the sense that it's a long stick with a sharp metal tip :p

real as in good steel, not cheap shit. Real as in actual weapons, not show bullshit.

and I wouldnt have a clue how to put a spear head on a pole

Ahh... yeah, I'm looking for one I can be sure is good steel, in the style I like Visa föremålsbild | Sök i samlingarna | Historiska museet is the old version. I can't actually read the Swedish, but that looks like viking age on the dating, to me.
Viking Thrusting Spear might be about right, but, yeah, no pole. It can't be that hard to put one on, tho.

Its been a while since I posted something. I hope everyone had a good holiday season :) I think "surviving" the holiday season is an understatement haha. Anyway, does anyone know where I can find the rhyme meter for some old Faroese, Icelandic, and Danish ballads? I have the verses for some songs but not the rhyme meter so I cannot recite/sing them just yet. Ramund Hin Unge and Regin Smidur being 2 of them. Any other old folk songs like these are welcome!...especially the ones dealing with Norse mythology :)

... that one's outta my league. I'll be interested to see the answer, tho.

I know I sound like a broken record to keep referencing the Internet Sacred Text Archive, but it really is a good, objective website for this sort of thing.

If you go to the General Introduction Page of the Poetic Edda, there is a good description of the poetic structure of the old Icelandic/Norse sagas "THE VERSE-FORMS OF THE EDDIC POEMS."

Bear in mind that the sagas generally did not have a rhyming structure. Rather, they had an alliterative structure, which means that the first letter/sound of each beat matched across the line as much as possible.

I think that "Regin Smiđur is a Ljoþahattr (Song Measure) structure with a repeating fourth line structure.

Ramund Hin Unge probably has something like a Malahattr (Speech Measure) structure.

P. S. Not to take anything from Amon Amarth, but I liked Tyr's Eric the Red CD as well :headbang:

Runesinger

Krigly Bigly and Bates, try this site:
The BUDK Catalog
The quality of the weaponry is generally good if you go for the things that look "generally good" (i.e. you get exactly what you pay for). Delivery etc has never been a problem. I have several pieces from there, and I know that a friend of mine has a spear from there. It may be that it was just the head again, though.
Bates, if you're in the market for things like that, wait for your first big SCA war. All sorts of merchants generally show up, and some of them will have spears, swords, mammen axes and so on. For cheap. Also, SCA is generally good for trading (along the lines of "I'll trade a tattoo job for two of those helmets" or whatever).
Edit: they have this one, which comes with pole: Item # Description Qty Price Qty
#BK967 BARBARIAN SPEAR (In stock) each
$18.99
Features a 15 1/8" stainless steel spear with 4 piercing spikes. 47 3/8" overall
It's not too hard to fasten a pole to a head, though... Oh, I have the dungeon sickle above the spear in the catalogue (and some other swords etc). Sharp and pointy objects, like Bates said...

I know I sound like a broken record to keep referencing the Internet Sacred Text Archive, but it really is a good, objective website for this sort of thing.

If you go to the General Introduction Page of the Poetic Edda, there is a good description of the poetic structure of the old Icelandic/Norse sagas "THE VERSE-FORMS OF THE EDDIC POEMS."

Bear in mind that the sagas generally did not have a rhyming structure. Rather, they had an alliterative structure, which means that the first letter/sound of each beat matched across the line as much as possible.

I think that "Regin Smiđur is a Ljoþahattr (Song Measure) structure with a repeating fourth line structure.

Ramund Hin Unge probably has something like a Malahattr (Speech Measure) structure.

P. S. Not to take anything from Amon Amarth, but I liked Tyr's Eric the Red CD as well :headbang:

Runesinger

Ah, thank you very much! Ya, I needed the rhyme meter for these particular old ballads since they are actually ballads based on the sagas that are meant to be sung/recited with a lead part (the bulk of it) and the repeating chorus verses sung by everyone else (or at least that is the Faroese style). They are commonly recited in the chain dances...its really cool (or at least I think so hehe). I have Tyr's Eric the Red album, it is very good :)
Hmm...I wonder if my version of the Poetic Edda has that stuff in the intro, my copy of the Kalevala does...

I can't find in my Thorpe translation (the PDF version from Northvegr), but there is a fairly well illustrated example in the hardcopy Hollander version. I tried to take a picture, but it didn't come out right and I've gotta scoot to work, so if you need, I can do it later.