Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Studying Hinduism really gives you this interconnected feeling of the ancient indo-aryan/european religions....

Some obvious (and notable) things are the heirarchies of the Gods and Goddesses; ex: Dyaüs Pitr and the connections to Zues, Óðinn, etc. there sons (Dyaüs was the father of Indra, God of the storm (had a twin though - Agni), Óðinn and his buttload of kids (most notable Þórr, another God of the Storm). Hell, you can even compare the creation of the universe/world with Ymir and Purusha (both dismembered).
The major differences though are the order and change in which the family relationships happen - they all seem to go back to one root order, and the split off and divide as time moves on; mothers become sisters or daughters, some pair up to represent other forces fo nature that people started dualizing, and some traits switched over to other Gods (Óðinn and the hunt, death, war - completely comparable to Rudra, or Lugus/Lú with his magic and poetry); Vritra is comparable to Jörmungandr in there animosity towards Indra/Þórr, etc. (I haven't even started talking about Surtr and his domain yet!)

Another ex: Óðinn, Vi, and Vé (Vi & Vé...seriously, are those the only recorded names for them? What of Lóðurr?) are 3rd generation gods (sound Greek anyone?) - again though, where the greeks had the devourment of the children (Χρόνος => Ouranus => Krónos => Ζεύς) and etc. - What did the norse have in this area? Búri and Borr aren't talked of much afterward where they're first mentioned...ayone care to elaborate on why this is? What theories there are for this?

The etymological roots of each word make it completely obvious that they are connected (if the translations are indeed correct).... I suppose I want to know if anyone knows about any MAJOR studies on the comparisons of these various religions? Because if there isn't...I just found my newthesis for grad school :D

Now who do Germanic tribes like to beat up on the most?

Whoever's closest? Even if it'd be one of their own; I don't know. What is it?

Thanks for the site. A question: How inbred is your average torp or by in Scandinavia, I mean was it normal that people got their spouses from at least a couple of villages away (in some places it seems like it still isn't!)

I don't know about inbreeding - the upper class certainly was in the later historical era, but I am not too sure. I have seen statistics regarding England in medieval times, where they had come to the conclusion that the average person never travelled any farther than 7 (English - not Swedish!) miles any direction from their village. I do not think that applies to Scandianvia, though, since that number would have got screwed up by continuous raids and trades trips to Miklagård and Holmgård and what have you! The same can be said for the neolithic, since there is proof of extensive traveling for at least a part of society. Mind you, if you look at the later periods, after the Viking Age, it probably does apply to Scandinavia, too. I would suppose you'd meet your spouse either by arranged marriage (then you often get inbreeding, because it is almost always the same social group that marries from the same area, to make their power base stronger in that area) or by meeting him or her at the bi-annual market (one of the few occasions for travel - then you don't get inbreeding, cuz people came from quite far away for thise things). That's about the best answer I can give you. I just don't know. Presumably, the inbred often would not have survived if they were badly deformed in some way.

The Celts did have a strong parallel in culture with Scandinavia; however, whereas the northmen eventually started becoming more patriarchical in society, the Celts were primarily matriarchal (as demonstrated by he power of queens and the nature of Goddess worship).

OK, now I have to stand up against a common misconception about Norse beliefs. The Norse society was not patriarchal in nature. Both men and women held a more balanced status of differing abilities and strengths. Norse society recognized that men and women were not the same, but equal.

The use of the Patronymic in naming and the prowess of men in feats of physical strength and battle would tend to make one think that Norse society was male-dominated.

However, women were seen as greater in spiritual/psychic abilities. The Norse version of shaman, the Seidhkona, was almost exclusively a female role. Women were also seen as the lore-keepers. They had great authority in rulings on law and customs.

Women were the source of wisdom in the community. Women were expected to grow in wisdom as they matured. Consequently, as a woman grew older, her value in the community increased. This is a very different view from our youth-obsessed modern society.

Th sagas have many incidents where great heroes sought wisdom from their grandmothers. Even the name "Edda" comes from the old Icelandic word from "Great-Grandmother," for a Great-grandmother would be seen as the greatest source of wisdom. The older women were often counseled before a battle.

This is not to sat that women stayed home while men went to battle. There were sagas that showed husband and wife fighting side-by-side. Also single women went to battle as shield-maidens (Skjoldmar).

In Norse society there was more cross-over in gender roles. Each person did what he or she did best. The Norse environment was harsh, and everyone had to perform to their greatest potential.

Runesinger

OK, now I have to stand up against a common misconception about Norse beliefs. The Norse society was not patriarchal in nature. Both men and women held a more balanced status of differing abilities and strengths. Norse society recognized that men and women were not the same, but equal.

The use of the Patronymic in naming and the prowess of men in feats of physical strength and battle would tend to make one think that Norse society was male-dominated.

However, women were seen as greater in spiritual/psychic abilities. The Norse version of shaman, the Seidhkona, was almost exclusively a female role. Women were also seen as the lore-keepers. They had great authority in rulings on law and customs.

Women were the source of wisdom in the community. Women were expected to grow in wisdom as they matured. Consequently, as a woman grew older, her value in the community increased. This is a very different view from our youth-obsessed modern society.

Th sagas have many incidents where great heroes sought wisdom from their grandmothers. Even the name "Edda" comes from the old Icelandic word from "Great-Grandmother," for a Great-grandmother would be seen as the greatest source of wisdom. The older women were often counseled before a battle.

This is not to sat that women stayed home while men went to battle. There were sagas that showed husband and wife fighting side-by-side. Also single women went to battle as shield-maidens (Skjoldmar).

In Norse society there was more cross-over in gender roles. Each person did what he or she did best. The Norse environment was harsh, and everyone had to perform to their greatest potential.

Runesinger

I never meant to say that they were unequal in culture or anything Runesinger (far from the truth, it's one of the traits I'm most proud of in fact); I was just mentioning a comparison between the two cultures. I was mainly referring to the "Patronymic in naming" in my post.

Next time I will word my post more carefully :)

I never meant to say that they were unequal in culture or anything Runesinger (far from the truth, it's one of the traits I'm most proud of in fact); I was just mentioning a comparison between the two cultures. I was mainly referring to the "Patronymic in naming" in my post.

Next time I will word my post more carefully :)

I guess I misunderstood you. Some of the Norse beliefs can cause people to make false assumptions. I'm glad you clarified your statement. Thanks.

Runesinger

I was reading a book about a kid who was supposed to be Leif Erikssons son (It's not supposed to be true or anything but it's a good book, not sure how accurate it is but it's not bad. Viking by Tim Severin) and the book said that the kid has the seidr power, the whole second sight thing. I understand what it is basically, like how one who posseses this power can see ghosts or events that are happening in different places, or they can sort of see the future but I still want to learn more about it. I haven't been able to find much on google so I would be greatful for any help.

Welcome to opening Pandora's box, kid. There is loads out there, but mostly crap. A lot is ambiguous, so people tend to fill in their own interpretations. It's also a huuuuuge area to cover. I'll see if I can come up with some good sites or books, because it really is not a good thing to fuck around with. You get this wrong, you can get really messed up. Ask Runesinger, she knows all about it, too. Both of us know some of how to do things, neither one of us does it much. For a reason.

Ahh, nothing like making a pointless drunken post, then promptly passing out. I had meant to make a point about the Norse liking to fight the Celts because the Celts could actually fight worth a damn. Sure, they may have lost a lot of the time, but at least they always fought, what fun would there be in an enemy who always surrendered?

@Erzebeth: Sleipnir is grey, according to page 43 of Glyfaginning "But Loki had such dealings with Svadilfaerie that somewhat later he gave birth to a foal. It was grey and had eight legs, and this is the best horse among gods and men."
Now, I'm not totally sure if that means grey as in "All white horses are called grey", meaning he would be truly white, but I personally tend to imagine him as a very pale grey, with darker dapples. Which has nothing to do with anything but my imagination. ;)

Anyone care to take a gamble at the mess I made in my earlier post (#1021)? I had some decent questions!!!

@Erzebeth: Sleipnir is grey, according to page 43 of Glyfaginning "But Loki had such dealings with Svadilfaerie that somewhat later he gave birth to a foal. It was grey and had eight legs, and this is the best horse among gods and men."
Now, I'm not totally sure if that means grey as in "All white horses are called grey", meaning he would be truly white, but I personally tend to imagine him as a very pale grey, with darker dapples. Which has nothing to do with anything but my imagination. ;)

i will then wait for other cofirmation before coloring Sleipnir, thanks Bates though ;) i too cant picture him brown lol :p

I've also read Bates source - I don't know what the original word is, but the translations tend to say gray...(at least the ones I read - don't take my word for it though, I need to build up a rep on knowing these things on this board for my 2 cents to be accepted firsthand :))