War on Drugs

The Devil's Steed said:
I've yet to comment on something I know nothing about.
ditto.

Zombie, you are aware that just about everyone uses some kind of process to prepare marijuana, such as rolling it and lighting it on fire, or drying it, etc. crushing grapes is hardly dissimilar.

have you never heard or seen the idiotic things people do while high? even the basest imagination could see the consequences and probability of an accident resulting in injury or death. not that you would instantly die from smoking it, but it isn't all that hard to goof once you have.

ZoMb!M@N said:
Are you saying that you have first-hand knowledge of the long-term effects of THC?

No. However, not experiencing it for oneself doesn't mean you don't have any idea what you're talking about when you've seen the results in others.

According to theory you seem to be trying to put foward you can't claim that a heroin overdose can kill someone, because unless you've overdosed on heroin yourself you don't know anything about it.

ZoMb!M@N said:
The bottom line is don't knock it until you've tried it.

And, by extension, don't assume that those who haven't tried it have some need for it.

I'm not bitter about the years I spent smoking pot, but there's a lot more of a world out there, and at this point, I see the people who indulge too much in self-pleasuring to be masturbators.

Silent Song was too polite to say that.

Silent Song said:
puritan i'm not, but i respect my body and value my health. there are ways to have fun without the use of drugs, even for people who are fooled into thinking they need such things to have such experiences. In America, we pride ourselves on our monuments to freedoms long replaced with lies and deception, which we openly embrace. In America, restrictions increase daily under the guise of "national security" when such things are hardly more effective than the previous system, if at all. as i said, i oppose the legalization of alcohol and tobacco already... alcohol is a cleaning product, flammable... and you enjoy drinking it? i'm sure we've all seen the black lung cases due to smoking as well.

i for one will not subject myself to such idiocy, because as you said, some of us Americans still excercise our freedoms, and i'm free to oppose, and free to refuse.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, do you believe it is fair to subject every person in the country to your opinion? Do you think that just because you choose not to use a substance, everyone must not use it? If so, you are a selfish and inconsiderate man. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit if marijuana is legalized: I can obtain it if I like from half a dozen people this very moment. My problem with its prohibition is in several parts: 1. consistency - salvia, alcohol, and cigarettes are all legal, but marijuana is not; 2. the more personal freedoms we have, the better; 3. our state has a considerable deficit at the moment (and my college tuition is steadily rising), and taxation of marijuana could probably ameliorate it.

EDIT:
drugs are a crutch for those who need their experiences "enhanced" and feel they cannot otherwise attain such experience.

Movies are a crutch for those who need their experiences "enhanced" and feel they cannot otherwise attain such experience.

Mhmm. However negatively you wish to paint it, smoking marijuana is analogous to drinking coke, or watching a movie, or even listening to music - it's entertainment (something pleasant), nothing more. However, instead of altering the input, it alters the receptors that receive the input.

Iridium said:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, do you believe it is fair to subject every person in the country to your opinion? Do you think that just because you choose not to use a substance, everyone must not use it? If so, you are a selfish and inconsiderate man. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit if marijuana is legalized: I can obtain it if I like from half a dozen people this very moment. My problem with its prohibition is in several parts

The fallacy of "personal decisions" is tiresome. If something's a stupid idea, it should not be done; my favored method is exile of those who do it. That way, they get their precious "freedom" (how stupid that sounds) and we don't have to put up with their failure.

I don't feel this way about marijuana. It has been in use among Indians and Germans for a long time; what we need are higher-quality marijuana smokers. And prohibitions clearly don't work, mainly because they target the SOURCE and not the CLIENTELE. If you made smoking marijuana an offense that caused one to lose citizenship, I bet few would do it.

Iridium said:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, do you believe it is fair to subject every person in the country to your opinion? Do you think that just because you choose not to use a substance, everyone must not use it? If so, you are a selfish and inconsiderate man. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit if marijuana is legalized: I can obtain it if I like from half a dozen people this very moment. My problem with its prohibition is in several parts: 1. consistency - salvia, alcohol, and cigarettes are all legal, but marijuana is not; 2. the more personal freedoms we have, the better; 3. our state has a considerable deficit at the moment (and my college tuition is steadily rising), and taxation of marijuana could probably ameliorate it.

EDIT:

Movies are a crutch for those who need their experiences "enhanced" and feel they cannot otherwise attain such experience.

Mhmm. However negatively you wish to paint it, smoking marijuana is analogous to drinking coke, or watching a movie, or even listening to music - it's entertainment (something pleasant), nothing more. However, instead of altering the input, it alters the receptors that receive the input.

FINALLY, a subjective view. I am not pushing anyone to try anything they don't want to try. I am trying to present the truth as I have experienced it over the years and do away with some of the ignorance surrounding this subject.

infoterror said:
The fallacy of "personal decisions" is tiresome. If something's a stupid idea, it should not be done; my favored method is exile of those who do it. That way, they get their precious "freedom" (how stupid that sounds) and we don't have to put up with their failure.

Could you link me to the "personal decisions" fallacy on the stanford site, because I've never heard of it. It appears that you implying that things are either 100% objectively stupid or not. Is drinking alcohol stupid? In some ways. Personal decision is about weighing the positives and negatives, and, according to one's own inherent values/biases, judging whether something is stupid (not worth doing) or not. Denying personal decision is either idiotic or despotic, because either you deny that people have different values/biases which they use as criteria to make their decisions (this is the idiotic part, something you seem to have done when calling something a "stupid idea"), or you simply refuse to grant them the right to judge things as they see fit (despotic).

I don't feel this way about marijuana. It has been in use among Indians and Germans for a long time; what we need are higher-quality marijuana smokers. And prohibitions clearly don't work, mainly because they target the SOURCE and not the CLIENTELE. If you made smoking marijuana an offense that caused one to lose citizenship, I bet few would do it.

Luckily, we live in the United States of America and not a giant ANUS.

Iridium said:
people do not harm themselves from watching movies. your comparison is loose at best.

if you cut your wrists for entertainment, would you say that's acceptable as well?

PS: i for one am getting fed up with the United States of Arrogance and plan to change citizenship at the first opportunity.

Silent Song said:
people do not harm themselves from watching movies. your comparison is loose at best.

if you cut your wrists for entertainment, would you say that's acceptable as well?

PS: i for one am getting fed up with the United States of Arrogance and plan to change citizenship at the first opportunity.

Marijuana doesn't make your wrists bleed.

much moreso than the lack of excercise caused by sitting 2 hours through a movie, though you gain entertainment and perhaps knowledge from the story.

much moreso than the small nutritional letdowns of drinking a soda instead of juice or water.

All marijuana does is delay your synaptic response in your brain, which is what causes the stoned feeling. After about 6 months of not smoking it, your IQ level will return to normal and any effects it has are not permanent. That was a study done on hardcore pot users from Jamacia

KingsEvilScreamer said:
There was a drug made in the 70s by the American Government as a kind of form of population control, and it evolved again in the 80's. The drug was originally meant to control the African American population, and was actually put on the street by the C.I.A. That drug is called Crack-cocaine. I bet a lot of people didn't know that.

Yeah I knew that, but they would call me a conspiracy theorist because they find that things like that are hard to believe. Even though, I have heard people who are ex CIA or ex DEA and especially one ex narcotics police officer who have all said similar things.

The Devil's Steed said:
And the possibility of cancer. Not to mention, I've seen people who have permanently fucked up minds, even if they haven't smoked in a while....

do they only smoke pot?, or do they do other drugs?

@ss, it is only psychological addiction, which like anything else has nothing to object of the addiction, but the (edit)mental process and behaviour. Like computer/net addictions, or stealing addictions. There is no physical addictions of pot.

Well cancer this cancer that, everything can cause cancer. Going outside can cause cancer. The sun causes cancer. The point is that cancer happens to people who don't take care of their body, or as some medical specials might think, genetically more likely to get cancer.

Only pot. And yes, many things can cause cancer, but that's like saying "Go ahead and smoke cigarettes, it's alright, 'cause anything can cause cancer, so you'll get it, anyway!".