WARNING - TNR EARLY COPIES

Ok so my first listen, and mind you I had 80 million things going on at once today, I thought it was heavy as hell, and definitely a good new direction. Some of the riffs are Massive! As are the vocals, man sounds sweet! I honestly was liking The acoustic song like track 4 or 5 maybe the least, and I think it was Pauls phrasing on the clean vocals and maybe the arrangement being a but lacking. But, as I said, on first listen and it being in the back-round maybe it just demands a bit more attention. So on the plane trip tommorrow, I will be listening through headphones, and I am sure i will be digging it even more.

Cheers on an excellent release!

hehe, ironic that i've just been completely stuck on twilight innocence today. i'm in a bit of a rough spot with my gf this week, and it's night here and i just can't/won't sleep. it grabbed me bigtime :)

When we originally had a female vocalist, it was something quite different, and unique. I'm not saying we were the first, we took the idea directly from Celtic Frost, only made her a full time member, but to still do it now? It's so OVERDONE these days, we're past it. I'm not saying you'll never hear female vocals on our music again, but I can tell you, with 100% certainty, they would only ever be used again if WE feel the song, or the moment would be enhanced GREATLY by a female voice. Never again will we force the vocals into a song, JUST to have female vocals on the CD. This is exactly what happened with "To Welcome the Fade." No one in the band other then Eric ever met, OR HEARD this girls voice until she laid down her vocals. We had no idea what melody she was even going to use. We added them in, just to add them, and to me, it's a part of that CD we rushed, and didn't give the time it deserved to make it great.

Is this most of the story behind Torn?

When we originally had a female vocalist, it was something quite different, and unique. I'm not saying we were the first, we took the idea directly from Celtic Frost, only made her a full time member, but to still do it now? It's so OVERDONE these days, we're past it. I'm not saying you'll never hear female vocals on our music again, but I can tell you, with 100% certainty, they would only ever be used again if WE feel the song, or the moment would be enhanced GREATLY by a female voice. Never again will we force the vocals into a song, JUST to have female vocals on the CD. This is exactly what happened with "To Welcome the Fade." No one in the band other then Eric ever met, OR HEARD this girls voice until she laid down her vocals. We had no idea what melody she was even going to use. We added them in, just to add them, and to me, it's a part of that CD we rushed, and didn't give the time it deserved to make it great.

Is "Twilight Innocence" played in Standard tunning or drop B tunning?

This is exactly what happened with "To Welcome the Fade." No one in the band other then Eric ever met, OR HEARD this girls voice until she laid down her vocals. We had no idea what melody she was even going to use. We added them in, just to add them, and to me, it's a part of that CD we rushed, and didn't give the time it deserved to make it great.
Actually, I went and met with Nora at her apartment to work on melodies close to the time of her recording session. I think at the time between Neil's schedule and Nora's schedule, we were really pressed to get it all done. I took her a basic scratch track TWTF cd and brought an acoustic and worked on what I thought we had in mind for her to sing on. When we got in the studio, some of that was laid down and other parts were improvised/arranged on the spot. But for things like Dark Fields, Torn, and Broken, I did have melodies written for her and didn't necessarily want to add her in just to add in female vocals- maybe I was alone in that desire. Some of it changed per Neil's direction once in the studio, but that kind of happened with every instrument. A lot of the process was indeed pressed, though, due to the time factor, but I had written parts for a female vocalist who we just never did find until i thought of her in the 11th hour.

btw, Rain rips :)

I think alot of "TWTF" was kinda pressed for time, not just the female vocals aspect. Obviously you're going to get four or five different opinions on the matter because everyone has their own way of looking at it. I think more to the point is, by the time we got to TWTF, for some of us it felt more like an obligation and a chore to bother including the female vocals, as opposed to being stoked and excited about writing songs/parts specifically for the female voice to be used. Eric probably had a much clearer view with his songs of what he wanted from the female vox, whereas I know that I was drifting away from it, which is why there's little to none on songs like "Not The Strong", "Lost In A Day", etc. That's cool that people out there really enjoy the way "Torn" came out, I'd rather they enjoy it than hate us for it, yknow? I think Nora did an admirable job especially considering the circumstances. But when you compare the way the female voice is used on cds like "Of Sculptured Ivy" and "The Knowing", I personally feel that they're much better suited and feel more appropriate than they did on TWTF. But again, everyone hears things differently, and thats fine...

Glad you like "Rain", Eric! That song represents a direction I've been working towards for quite some time now, as you might even recall from before!

Actually, I went and met with Nora at her apartment to work on melodies close to the time of her recording session. I think at the time between Neil's schedule and Nora's schedule, we were really pressed to get it all done. I took her a basic scratch track TWTF cd and brought an acoustic and worked on what I thought we had in mind for her to sing on. When we got in the studio, some of that was laid down and other parts were improvised/arranged on the spot. But for things like Dark Fields, Torn, and Broken, I did have melodies written for her and didn't necessarily want to add her in just to add in female vocals- maybe I was alone in that desire. Some of it changed per Neil's direction once in the studio, but that kind of happened with every instrument. A lot of the process was indeed pressed, though, due to the time factor, but I had written parts for a female vocalist who we just never did find until i thought of her in the 11th hour.

btw, Rain rips :)

It was a rough CD to make. A lot of decisions were made on the fly because of work schedules, and everyone not being available at the same time to be in studio, on top of all the issues we had with Bass, the band not being prepared with some of the songs, drum beats being changed during recording, Vocals still needing to be worked out for a few songs, and to add in a last minute female vocalist... It was rough. I'm actually surprised that CD came out as well as it did. If it wasn't for the vision Eric had for the female vocals, there would have been none on that CD, if not for the fact we were all growing tired of them at this point, but more so, no one else was really ready to record their own parts, let alone worry about an outsider. With recording on such a tight schedule (adding to the fact of how unprepared we were) left little time for experimenting at all.

Sheesh, it sounds like I hate this CD. I really don't. I think it came out good. I just can't help but think what a couple more months of fleshing out the material could have done to the overall CD.

People have to understand that we're going to view and hear our own work in a completely different manner because we lived it, we created it, we experienced it firsthand. If there's people out there who love that cd or who love the female vocals or love "Torn", that's great and that makes us happy. But they have to understand that we see and hear it quite differently, whether we like it or not. I like TWTF in general. But as Paul said, I tend to hear the things that weren't done properly or weren't fleshed out enough (in my opinion) or could've been done better, or handled differently, etc. Truthfully I hear those things with every cd we've recorded, it just so happens that TWTF particularly suffers from that, for me.

Anyhow, all those things considered, I'm glad TWTF came out as well as it did and that some people really enjoy it.

Believe me, seeing the CD leak made me physically ill, and I am pissed beyond words, but it's not the fans fault, and I would be a hypocrite to tell people not to download it. I'm guilty of that myself for certain bands I adore. I'm not pissed a fan wants to hear it early. I only get pissed when people are disrespectful about it, and openly brag about it, and tell people where and how to steal our music. The real fans will buy it, if they download it or not, so fuck it, no need to keep it a secret, tell us what you think. I'd rather hear the thoughts of fans, then a lot of the brain dead reviewers out there anyway. The other guys can chime in and post their feelings on this as well...

Fear not, brave Paul. I am too lazy to steal music, and too paranoid to click on links with promised treasures on this great journey I call the internet. My birthday is in February, and I will purchase November come then.

/cheers

/sorry journos are being assholes and leaking your music

I'm really surprised to hear this somehow, because TWTF sounds very good in general. I do like the two cds after better, but TWTF still has a bunch of killer songs imo. With the kinda trouble you guys have went through, it really should've turned out as a mess. Good job

I really think i owe an apology, i was prety hasty in making comments about entire album being not that great early on. After hearing it couple of time i think it is killer, each and every song in the new album is unique. The solos in Drown the Inland Mere, Novella Resorvoir and The Voice of Failure have unique and refreshing feel. Riffs and drumming in song Voice of Failure has extreme kick to it (riff played during vocal line "I close my eyes and Angels die" is my favourite one). Infact the truth is i am really finding it hard which song i should listen first as every song is amazing.

PS. I have heard the album, but to do justice to bands efforts in making this record i am definitely gonna buy it, no question. Would be one of the best addition in my record collection.

No need for apologies. In my opinion, while it's always good to be able to grab listeners on their first listening of a cd, I think most truly good cds require many spins before you really are able to absorb it and appreciate it properly. Otherwise it winds up being forgettable down the line, like eating fast food or something. It's another reason I take issue with the whole notion of cd reviews, because 95% of the time, the reviewers give it one quick brief listen and base their whole opinion on that. As I've said before, if I gave that sort of one-time-only chance to many cds I've heard, I'd have missed out on some of my now all-time favorites, because many of them were "growers" for me. But with so much music out there now for people to check out, it's hard for people to really make the proper time to absorb everything you hear.

Anyhow, I'm glad the album is sitting better for you as time goes by. I'd rather hear that people like it more as they listen to it, rather than liking it less with each listen. I'm sure inevitably there'll be people who do experience that as well. What can ya do? *shrug*

I can not say that I am a huge fan of Novembers Doom (bcause if i was - I would be posting alot on this forum). But I can say that I have 3 Novembers Doom CD's.
About pirated versions of new album - I accidentally heard a song from a new album.Possibly called "Drown The Inland Mere" (6:00 long) and has a number 3 before it's name. I don't know - is the same song that will be on the album or not. One thing I know for sure - as soon as new album will arrive on the shelves in Estonia - it will arrive in my cd player.
Thank You for Your music. Hope that true admirers will still support their favourite musicians.

UPD: I just found the same track on the official web page. Sorry for being so stupid.

I have no time to go thru this long thread..but I read as much as I needed,and...I'm probbably the only one who hasn't heard any other song then "Drown.." and "Rain" and it doesn't matter...I wait as long as I have too..for the album to come out...I just hope I don't have to wait weeks longer before it will be released in Europe...you guys know I buy the album and ...I WANT THAT BOOK!!!!!...I just have to have it ok!!!
I wish I knew how that stupid paypal stuff works...:(

No need for apologies. In my opinion, while it's always good to be able to grab listeners on their first listening of a cd, I think most truly good cds require many spins before you really are able to absorb it and appreciate it properly. Otherwise it winds up being forgettable down the line, like eating fast food or something. It's another reason I take issue with the whole notion of cd reviews, because 95% of the time, the reviewers give it one quick brief listen and base their whole opinion on that. As I've said before, if I gave that sort of one-time-only chance to many cds I've heard, I'd have missed out on some of my now all-time favorites, because many of them were "growers" for me. But with so much music out there now for people to check out, it's hard for people to really make the proper time to absorb everything you hear.

Anyhow, I'm glad the album is sitting better for you as time goes by. I'd rather hear that people like it more as they listen to it, rather than liking it less with each listen. I'm sure inevitably there'll be people who do experience that as well. What can ya do? *shrug*

Larry..can I ask why an album has to grow on you...I don't get it?

Larry..can I ask why an album has to grow on you...I don't get it?

Heya havent seen you around here for a while.

I think Larry jus means that it is a sign of quality and lasting appeal if an album can grown upon listens, well thats how i feel about the subject.