Watershed in perspective

Nov 16, 2006
Melbourne
So....now that the album has been out for a while, I'd like to know your thoughts on it, in context of how it has changed in your mind over the last few months.

ie. which tracks immediately grabbed you, but maybe don't grab you as much as another one does now? Vice versa?

Personally when I first heard it, would have been my least favourite track on the album, whereas now it is possibly my favourite (tying with Hex Omega atm).

I'd like to know how others feel about this.

Edit: I apologize if someone has already made a thread like this, I couldn't find one in my search ...

well like i said in the other thread similar to this, i could only relate to porcelain heart, and lotus eater, but now i am more into hessian peel and Burden (which i listen to daily)

I've decided that I'm not going to pass my final judgement on it until the next Opeth album comes out. I think it's a good album...but probably my least favorite by Opeth other than Orchid.

The thing I disliked most about the album was that there was really only roughly about 2 and a half tracks of Opeth's "death metal" side....and it almost leaves me with the unsettling impression that Opeth might be downsizing their metal stuff in favor of their acoustic/ballady side. But hearing the next album they do is the only way it would be possible to guess if that was even mildly true...I personally hope not.

Other than that the only thing that kind of off-set me was that I didn't care for the flow of the songs (Heir Apparent, and a couple others excluded) or the whole album in general, as much as anything else they've released yet.

It's a great album with alot of great songs in all respect...but I guess it's just not for me...at least not as much as any of Opeth's other stuff.

'Other than that the only thing that kind of off-set me was that I didn't care for the flow of the songs'

I disagree, I think it flows better than most of their other albums...maybe its how it's crossfaded across almost the entire album, but it just flows nicely. Admittedly I probably would've preferred it to be slightly heavier, but overall i must admit i love it.

At first I loved it thinking it was even better than Still Life. Then for some reason after a few days I felt unsure about how I really felt about. I begun to dislike Fredrick's solos that I initially liked. Now the more I listen to it, the better it gets for me, to the point where I know it will stay in my top 3 Opeth albums. (at least until their next album)

The Lotus Eater used to be my favorite song, but I feel like I listened to it way too much on Opeth's myspace before the album came out. For now Hessain Peel is my favorite song on the album, because I love the vocal lines and the switch halfway into the song that changes the entire atmosphere and lyric tone.

I think it's a good album...but probably my least favorite by Opeth other than Orchid.

The thing I disliked most about the album was that there was really only roughly about 2 and a half tracks of Opeth's "death metal" side....and it almost leaves me with the unsettling impression that Opeth might be downsizing their metal stuff in favor of their acoustic/ballady side. But hearing the next album they do is the only way it would be possible to guess if that was even mildly true...I personally hope not.

It's a great album with alot of great songs in all respect...but I guess it's just not for me...at least not as much as any of Opeth's other stuff.

You said it!

It's an album with lots of EXTREMELY good songs, but it isn't their best album. It's an outstanding good collection of songs, but not an outstanding album. All IMO, of course.

I am really not fussed if they have more of the mellowy side than the heavy.
A ) because i really like the softer side
B ) because i (we) will always have previous albums to mosh to, like deliverance.....Fuck yeah!!

B ) because i (we) will always have previous albums to mosh to, like deliverance.....Fuck yeah!!

I really love the soft stuff too by all means! It's what turned me on to Opeth in the first place! But I'd like to hear more of Opeth's mellow and death metal side in the future is all I'm saying...I felt that watershed was on the softer side for sure, and it kind of gave me the unsettling feeling that maybe theres a lack of interest in making heavier albums within the opeth camp (i.e. albums like MAYH, Still Life, BWP, Deliverance, and GR)...which is fine, Mike has every right to do whatever he wants with his music...but it is also not quite what I personally hope to hear out of opeth in the future. But it's just an opinion based off the impressions the album left on me personally, I'm trying to flaunt all of what I say as if it's a fact or something.

I'm sure I could go on for hours getting off about how good the new album is (ex. I really liked the Still life-esque clean parts in Heir Apparent, and the MAYH-esque ending to the song) but that wouldn't be a very interesting read, and honestly no one would give a shit...so i was just offering a wee bit of constructive criticism from my own personal viewpoint (to be fair, I'm sure no one gives a shit this way either).

AHA! So YOU are the one we keep hearing about in the 'moshpits' thread!

You must get around quite a lot haha

AHA! So YOU are the one we keep hearing about in the 'moshpits' thread!

You must get around quite a lot haha

Hessian Peel was my favorite for a while, and Lotus Eater and Burden, but Heir Apparent is now my favorite from the album. It's just perfect - from lyrical phrasing to riffage to overall composing.

My opinion has changed. At first I thought Heir Apparent was the weakest track, now I like it. Åkesson's solo plays a big part in my change of opinion.:headbang: Porcelain Heart is the least accomplished track I think. It just isn't diverse enough. But it still isn't a bad song by any means. No song by Opeth after MAYH has been bad I think. There have just been great ones and less great ones.

I reckon it is a pretty good album, and it is noticeably darker, more ambient, clean and acoustic than other albums. My favourite tracks are Burden and The Lotus Eater. Coil and Heir Apparent are pretty cool too. Anyone else notice the misspelling of 'Lotus' as 'Louts' on the back cover?