What about Arcturus new album? Better than Opeth...

HAHA, metalcore is only ONE, thats right, ONE of the elements in their music. This album has just about everything in it, whether it is only small elements or large. Death, Black, Grind, Prog, Technical, Melo Death, Post, its all in there.

But, hey, not everyone can like it!

Ikil

I was a little concerned about the change of vocalist for this album.

I have had the promo for about a month now and have listened to it a few times. I am pleased to say that vocally I have no complaints, they work and fit perfectly.

I haven't listened to it that much yet, the bloody bleeping at 10 and 20 seconds on every track is really fucking annoying. I understand the reason for these audio stamps, but I really hate the bleeps more than the vocal audio stamps.

Much of my recent listening time has been taken up by Ghost Reveries and the latest ones by New Model Army, Carnival In Coal, Novembers Doom, Soulfly (which is far better than I had expected), Nightingale and a few others. (NONE of which have fucking bleeps on them!)

Also, one band that is catching my attention is Unmoored, anyone know anything about them?

AlexGuinness said:
I was a little concerned about the change of vocalist for this album.

I have had the promo for about a month now and have listened to it a few times. I am pleased to say that vocally I have no complaints, they work and fit perfectly.

I haven't listened to it that much yet, the bloody bleeping at 10 and 20 seconds on every track is really fucking annoying. I understand the reason for these audio stamps, but I really hate the bleeps more than the vocal audio stamps.

Much of my recent listening time has been taken up by Ghost Reveries and the latest ones by New Model Army, Carnival In Coal, Novembers Doom, Soulfly (which is far better than I had expected), Nightingale and a few others. (NONE of which have fucking bleeps on them!)

Also, one band that is catching my attention is Unmoored, anyone know anything about them?

Unmoored is one of the best Swedish metal bands according to me. They are related to bands like Incapacity, Scar Symmetry, Torchbearer.

Unmoored "Indefinite Soul-Extension" from 2003 is a 9/10 Album.

If you like it... Check out:

Incapacity "Chaos Complete" 2003
Scar Symmetry "Symmetric in Design" 2005

Didn't Simen sing a couple of songs on Masquerade too?

I'm listening to BTBAM, haven't heard them before, sounds ok.

I don't know how you could possibly say BTBAM challenge Opeth. " Death, Black, Grind, Prog, Technical, Melo Death, Post, its all in there." Sweet, 1039894 different kinds of metal. That's exactly what is needed. Opeth combine elements from DIFFERENT genres, which, for me, greatly enhances the experience. You can listen to the BTBAM album and be like "aww hear that black there?! or check out that grind part!" and who really cares? It's just a varying style of heaviness. Opeth go from super chill to death, so I cannot put BTBAM on the same plane as them. Sorry, Ikil.

Ikil said:
HAHA, metalcore is only ONE, thats right, ONE of the elements in their music. This album has just about everything in it, whether it is only small elements or large. Death, Black, Grind, Prog, Technical, Melo Death, Post, its all in there.

But, hey, not everyone can like it!

Ikil

thats one element i can do without, what an insult to opeth saying this album compares to theirs

Hey BurningSky and BreathingShadow (wow, quite similar names), have you actually listened the whole BTBAM album? I think it's quite close minded to totally put down an album just because someone says it might have a hint of metalcore or something. I think it actually sounds pretty good, from the little I have heard of it. And it has chill parts too.

annt said:
Hey BurningSky and BreathingShadow (wow, quite similar names), have you actually listened the whole BTBAM album? I think it's quite close minded to totally put down an album just because someone says it might have a hint of metalcore or something. I think it actually sounds pretty good, from the little I have heard of it. And it has chill parts too.

i listened to all 3 or 4 or however many songs they have on their sweet ass myspace, and its not an album i would ever buy, sorry

The Warrior of Modern Death said:
hey hey hey.... this is about arcturus you fools, back on subject.

yep, arcturus will always be better. even if they stop making good music, atleast there will always be those promo pictures and those prove they are better

Maybe i should have gottin BTBAM's Alaska today : \ instead i got anathema's Eternity. i just got into anathema the first cd i got was Serenades i like this one but Eternity fuckin sucks the vocals are horrible their is only a few good moments in this CD the rest blows IMO i just can't get into it. i wasted $15.75 : (

Norway's ARCTURUS have been confirmed to appear on MTV's "Dirty Sanchez", filmed during the Inferno Festival earlier this year. The show featuring the band will be broadcast on September 18 at 10:30 p.m. (BST). MTV U.K.'s popular production, "Dirty Sanchez" appeared at Inferno during their special European tour. They did a special feature on Friday, March 25 at the Rockefeller venue in the changeover between AURA NOIR and ARCTURUS.

"Dirty Sanchez" is part documentary, part reality and 100% outrageous. Over the course of two series it has chronicled the insane lives of four professional skateboarders.

Back in 2003, "Dirty Sanchez" Season One saw Pritchard, Dainton, Pancho and Dan Joyce in their native Wales, indulging in all manner of weird and wonderful wickedness in the name of entertainment. It was a smash hit for MTV U.K., and 2003's highest rated homegrown show. The series went on to be number one in many countries around the world as well as a hit on DVD, and Channel 4 in the U.K. The success of this series saw MTV swiftly commissioning a second series, and this year, "Dirty Sanchez 2: Jobs For The Boyos" saw our hapless heroes trying to make something of themselves in a range of professions. They brought their unique brand of apathy to a Royal Marines Boot Camp, an Airport Firefighting Service, a Belfast Building Site and they even attempted Ranching in Arizona. In the process they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt their aversion to anything resembling exertion. The series was MTV U.K.'s highest-rated homegrown show for a second year running, and was released as a double disk DVD on October 25, 2004; the same week as its terrestrial premiere again on Channel 4.

"Dirty Sanchez" is currently seen on MTV in Britain, Ireland, Belgium, Spain, Scandinavia, Holland, Central Europe, France, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and the USA (the show is known as "Team Sanchez" in America).

Spawnof84 said:
Maybe i should have gottin BTBAM's Alaska today : \ instead i got anathema's Eternity. i just got into anathema the first cd i got was Serenades i like this one but Eternity fuckin sucks the vocals are horrible their is only a few good moments in this CD the rest blows IMO i just can't get into it. i wasted $15.75 : (
'Eternity' is by FAR the best Anathema release. the vox are simply brilliant. fragile yet not whiny, and emotionally fitting this masterpiece. genial tracks like 'Angelica', 'The Beloved', Eternity I', 'Eternity II' are the best this genre ever brought to life. give this album some spins, it will grow on you. if not, get yor ears checked... ;)

Ok, I didn't compare Opeth to BTBAM, yeah, BTBAM have a few little elements, but really, they sound nothing alike. The point I am making here is this album can contend with GR.

And what, Opeth has many elements from many different music genres? Ok, prog rock/metal , melod death, death, rock, jazz, some classical, thats about it really. They go super heavy to super chill? yeah, i know that and so do BTBAM at times. And yeah, BTBAM has jazz elements to. And those metal genres I added to BTBAM, Opeth don't use all those. Certainly not grind and not metalcore and hardcore (thankfully) and they aren't as technical as BTBAM! Maybe if you took the time to listen to everything BTBAM has done, you might notice these things.

Look, Opeth is my fave band by a long shot, but still, for me BTBAM - Alaska competes with GR. And to really appreciate BTBAM, you have to appreciate many different genres, metal or not. They are just one of those bands!

Ikil

Master_Debater said:
Norway's ARCTURUS have been confirmed to appear on MTV's "Dirty Sanchez"

Wow! great news. I love dirty sanchez and Arcturus. Should be cool

Not long for Sideshow Symphonies now! Hopefully Australia will get it on time though I doubt it!

Ikil

I just bought Rocksound the UKs best rock/metal mag and heres their review of 'sideshow symphonies';

'Who?
Norwgian death metallers gone soft
Sounds Like?
A dumb west end metal show
Standout track?
'Hibernation SIckness complete'
Verdict?
Lesson in metal #1368) you can be too prog to be metal. Painful listening'

Oh well I'm still buying it...I like prog