What about Arcturus new album? Better than Opeth...

You are boring me with your ridiculous posts on how overrated Arcturus is.

Ikil

It ended up in a litte bigger thread than i thought it would be.

Nice to see that people have opinions about Arcturus. It`s not more than fair to say negative things about them to. Everybody have diffrent taste in music.

I just got my copy of Sideshow Symphonies, and it sounds magnificent! I'll have to listen to it VERY MUCH though to be able to tell whether it's in the same league with Ghost Reveries.

new arcturus is mediocre..

i'm a huge fan of their previous albums, but the new one seems like a collection of leftover songs form sham mirrors..
new opeth is, however, their best album to date, and one of the best albums of the year.
better are only new pelican, minsk, impure wilhelmina and subterranean masquerade.. (in metal ;) )

Ok, for me, the new Arcturus album, musically is a masterpiece but as far as the mastering of this album goes, it is terrible!

I don't know if this was intentional by the band seeing we all know how strange Arcturus can be, but I don't think it was. Some songs sound louder than others, in other songs, instruments are louder than others or some of the instruments don't sound as loud as on other tracks. Its very poor and unprofessional. I'd be remastering this immediately! I'd want my money back if it was my album.

Lucky the musical quality is amazing though. But this wont be my album of the year and that is due to the mastering, will be lucky if it makes my top 5.

Ikil

I finally got this album and I love it! Thanks for the recommendation. I had never even heard of the band before this thread and ofcourse I had to check it out. I'll admit it took me a few spins to totally get into though. I can't say that I like it more then Ghost Reveries, but it is a damn good album.

I finally purchased SS... my first full-length taste of Arcturus...

personally, I'm biased so I chose Opeth... but I can fully see why someone would argue that SS is better than GR... its easily one of the best new releases ive heard in a while...

hey KRANG - are you talking about the Pelican album Australasia...

AFTER giving that spin repeated listens... I kind of felt it was crap... always building up and going no where...it put me to sleep to be honest. just my opnion tho

Alteredmindeath said:
Arcturus and Opeth are two completely different realms.

Absolutely! Someone told me they're very similar but i thought Arcturus' new album sounded like a mixture of Dreamtheater and Dimmu Borgir. Good stuff but doesn't compare to Opeth in the slightest.

Between The Buried And Me is a good band. I haven't heard Alaska yet, but I liked The Silent Circus.

I always thought Dark Tranquility - Character took my spot over Ghost Reveries for the year.. I guess I'll have to hear the cd's you guys mentioned.

I'm still rather annoyed I paid 15 bucks for an album that is essentially unfinished (with all the mastering fuckups). But musically it's nice. Does anyone know if those mastering errors are only in the first batch or if they're all like that? It's really quite unprofessional that no one bothered to check the final master before sending it off to be pressed. I mean, these aren't exactly minor errors that you might not notice at first (like the ones on Still Life) but some tracks are just plain too quiet and one of them has a very loud pop at the end. Impossible to miss I'd say.

CAIRATH said:
I'm still rather annoyed I paid 15 bucks for an album that is essentially unfinished (with all the mastering fuckups). But musically it's nice. Does anyone know if those mastering errors are only in the first batch or if they're all like that? It's really quite unprofessional that no one bothered to check the final master before sending it off to be pressed. I mean, these aren't exactly minor errors that you might not notice at first (like the ones on Still Life) but some tracks are just plain too quiet and one of them has a very loud pop at the end. Impossible to miss I'd say.

If this is abut Sideshow Symphonies - i noticed that the tracks .. and especially the drums.. were stupidly quiet. Not noticed a pop though. Still, i really like the album. Need to check out more of their stuff.

SS sounds like it should have been released between The Sham Mirrors and LMI. Awesome sound and the "mastering errors" aren't as prominent as people are making them out to be. I like Garm more than Simen but Simen is still a very talented vocalist and I was very impressed on SS.

Like I said before, SS > GR. "Mistakes" or not, that shit still wups ass.

And for those who want to hear more Arcturus plz check out LMI. That album is just BRILLIANT from start to finish.

Ranking so far:

1. Opeth--Ghost Reveries
2. Arcturus--Sideshow Symphonies
3. Between the Buried and Me--Alaska
4. Bloodbath--Nightmares Made Flesh (American version released in 2005)
5. Corrosion of Conformity--In the Arms of God